Petry traded to Pittsburgh

dlbalr

48 minutes ago, Neech said:

I'm not a fan of this attitude. He was hardly a baby - off ice and family reasons conspired for him to want out; before that he was a very good player for us who consistently outperformed expectations. I'll remember him streaking down the ice scoring OT winners, and of course turning undead during our finals run.

I agree totally. He has a wife and kids and it wasn't working for them. He stood up against the toughest guys in the league game in and game out. A very good player who I have a lot of respect for both as a player and a man. Calling him names is......... You can fill in the blank. 

You make 6.5 million a year. You start pouting because your wife won't come live in the place you've lived for 5 years? Bah. Suck it up I says. I'm glad he's gone. I was a fan until last season when the going got tough and jeff got going. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t feel great about what we got for Petry let alone adding in Poehling. 

But I don’t know Matheson so maybe we got a good player. 

Cap management is a bitch in this league.

He was in the first year of his contract extension and his wife can't deal with covid rules? They were living with those rules for 7 months before he signed it. Probably should thought that one through. Calls out the coach publicly multiple times. He sucked worse than dd last season. Now Habs are hostage to either down trade (which they did) or keep an unprofessional distraction on the team. Very annoying situation all in all.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, REV-G said:

A very good player who I have a lot of respect for both as a player and a man. 

A good offensive d-man, streaky. Not so good in his own end, quitting on his teammates instead pf being a leader, talking big to the press while continuing  to play horribly, also lame. So, obviously i dont have as much respect as you do, that is for sure.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

You make 6.5 million a year. You start pouting because your wife won't come live in the place you've lived for 5 years? Bah. Suck it up I says. I'm glad he's gone. I was a fan until last season when the going got tough and jeff got going. 

It's not quite as black and white as that, but I understand this sentiment.  Other players around the league were in the same situation, but they didn't respond by absolutely sucking night after night, which coupled with his public desire to be traded absolutely poisoned the market for him.  For that I say...good riddance.

34 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

I don’t think it matters how much you are making,

or what you do - family issues are going to have an impact in your performance on the job. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

It's not quite as black and white as that, but I understand this sentiment.  Other players around the league were in the same situation, but they didn't respond by absolutely sucking night after night, which coupled with his public desire to be traded absolutely poisoned the market for him.  For that I say...good riddance.

You guys are definitely right. It isn't black and white. I was a big petry fan until this year. I will miss his skill. But my opinion soured a lot this year.

22 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

He was in the first year of his contract extension and his wife can't deal with covid rules? They were living with those rules for 7 months before he signed it. Probably should thought that one through. Calls out the coach publicly multiple times. He sucked worse than dd last season. Now Habs are hostage to either down trade (which they did) or keep an unprofessional distraction on the team. Very annoying situation all in all.

You can’t compare decisions made based on during the first 7 months under Covid, or later on. At the start, everyone was locked down. Issue was other areas opened up, and Canada didn’t. So you can’t really compare what anyone dealt with during the 6-9 months of Covid, to the later half of 2021 or 2022.

im not someone who vehemently opposed the truckers blockade and the other shit that went on in Ottawa, but I can see why an American would rather go home where restrictions were lifted.

1 hour ago, Neech said:

I'm not a fan of this attitude. He was hardly a baby - off ice and family reasons conspired for him to want out; before that he was a very good player for us who consistently outperformed expectations. I'll remember him streaking down the ice scoring OT winners, and of course turning undead during our finals run.

I agree, my memories of Petry will be fond for sure. He continuously outperformed my expectations, and truly he blossomed with the Habs!

that said, the rumblings of Petry’s (and prices too) wives pushing some ‘extreme’ political views just seems like a distraction to me. 

love Petry the player, and he seemed like a good guy, but I think we dodged a bullet before the whole politics aspect manifested some toxicity.

all in all, thanks Petry for your time as a hab! Decent trade, and ended on a fine enough note 

12 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

You can’t compare decisions made based on during the first 7 months under Covid, or later on. At the start, everyone was locked down. Issue was other areas opened up, and Canada didn’t. So you can’t really compare what anyone dealt with during the 6-9 months of Covid, to the later half of 2021 or 2022.

im not someone who vehemently opposed the truckers blockade and the other shit that went on in Ottawa, but I can see why an American would rather go home where restrictions were lifted.

Also 

A1CDAA18-9D0D-4034-9AB2-B2C1E6515E07.jpegEdit: quoted the wrong person 

Petry was an excellent player for us. He lost major respect from me when he went on strike vs DD (not that I give a whoop about DD, but Petry’s sulking really hurt the team). I personally have zero time for these anti-vax POS, though - they pose a standing threat to the safety of vulnerable others, for no justifiable reason other than conspiratorial garbage, so good riddance to him. Plus, in pure hockey terms, he’s an old man. And he wanted out.

That we got back a quality puck-moving D-man suggests the team recognizes that you cannot just throw rookies out there night after night and expect their development. A responsible trade. Good move. 👍

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mineral said:

This leaves Savard, Wideman and Barron the right side. Not much else there in the cupboard. More to come to shore up the D i suppose. 

the force is strong with Barron, count him in

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t feel great about what we got for Petry let alone adding in Poehling. 

But I don’t know Matheson so maybe we got a good player. 

Cap management is a bitch in this league.

That's kind of how I feel, don't know enough about Matheson. 

I am pretty confident that Hughes worked hard on moving Petry and this was the best deal available.  The market is the market and I think it became obvious that no one was giving up a 1st round pick for him. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Petry was an excellent player for us. He lost major respect from me when he went on strike vs DD (not that I give a whoop about DD, but Petry’s sulking really hurt the team). I personally have zero time for these anti-vax POS, though - they pose a standing threat to the safety of vulnerable others, for no justifiable reason other than conspiratorial garbage, so good riddance to him. Plus, in pure hockey terms, he’s an old man. And he wanted out.

That we got back a quality puck-moving D-man suggests the team recognizes that you cannot just throw rookies out there night after night and expect their development. A responsible trade. Good move. 👍

Question I have for those that are dumping on Petry quitting on the team - whether it’s because of personal issues or his dislike of DD, how can you want PLD?  He basically quit on Columbus. Now he wants out of Winnipeg.

GM get he wants to come to Montreal - but than, so did Petry, when we originally traded for him.

I’d say hard pass on PLD at this time. If he ants to sign as a UFA for a reasonable contract because he wants to play for the habs - and if it makes sense for us, sure. But I don’t want to give up any more assets or tie up any more cap room on forwards, when we need to rebuild our D. Is there any other team in the league that is spending almost as much on goaltending than they are on D??

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Question I have for those that are dumping on Petry quitting on the team - whether it’s because of personal issues or his dislike of DD, how can you want PLD?  He basically quit on Columbus. Now he wants out of Winnipeg.

GM get he wants to come to Montreal - but than, so did Petry, when we originally traded for him.

I’d say hard pass on PLD at this time. If he ants to sign as a UFA for a reasonable contract because he wants to play for the habs - and if it makes sense for us, sure. But I don’t want to give up any more assets or tie up any more cap room on forwards, when we need to rebuild our D. Is there any other team in the league that is spending almost as much on goaltending than they are on D??

I don't have a problem with getting PLD in the right deal and if he agrees to a reasonable extension  but at this point there is no cap space unless they moved out some veterans which will be difficult. If they had traded Petry without taking a contract back then it may have been possible to trade for and sign PLD but I just don't see how it's possible now anyway. 

No question that for a rebuilding team they are spending way too much on goaltending as the Price contract is a big albatross and probably will be for a while. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wouldn't give anything for him and would only sign if it was a reasonable deal. As you say. 

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I take it you don’t think our prospect pool at D is adequate? (It seems to me it’s become an area of unquestioned organizational strength).

Regarding Dubious, it’s 100% a valid concern. It helps his case that PLD had a fine season in the Peg despite wanting out. That’s different from Petry who basically stopped playing hockey until the coach he didn’t like was fired. What bothered me so much about Petry was not that he asked for a trade; it’s that he quit out there on the ice.

Nevertheless, the fact that PLD keeps going into snits and demanding out definitely doesn’t speak well to his maturity or professionalism. Hughes is always saying he prioritizes “character” (there we go again) - so his pursuing PLD would make as much sense as “Mr. Character” Bergevin’s pursuit of Drouin did.

There are very obvious hockey reasons for being interested in Dubois, though. The rebuild has a structural hole at C, and rightly or wrongly the Habs passed on Cooley and Wright when they were in a position to fix that hole. If we had not gone out and gotten Dach, I think they’d have to look very closely at moving assets to get PLD, who is well within the rebuild’s window age-wise. (Whether there is a deal to be made, conceptually, with the Jets is a whole other question).

Dach is a boom-bust acquisition. But if he hits, PLD will no longer be required. That’s the main reason why I’m perfectly happy to wait. We’ve already made our play at moving out a significant asset to fill the hole at C. If it doesn’t pan out, then maybe we can revisit PLD in two years - unless he is traded and signs elsewhere long-term, which is quite possible IMHO. (Sure, he wants to play in Montreal, but we can’t be the *only* place he wants to play, surely?). But the point is, our GM has made his move at C and it would be silly to make further moves and lose further assets until we know how that move works out.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I take it you don’t think our prospect pool at D is adequate? (It seems to me it’s become an area of unquestioned organizational strength).

Regarding Dubious, it’s 100% a valid concern. It helps his case that PLD had a fine season in the Peg despite wanting out. That’s different from Petry who basically stopped playing hockey until the coach he didn’t like was fired. What bothered me so much about Petry was not that he asked for a trade; it’s that he quit out there on the ice.

Nevertheless, the fact that PLD keeps going into snits and demanding out definitely doesn’t speak well to his maturity or professionalism. Hughes is always saying he prioritizes “character” (there we go again) - so his pursuing PLD would make as much sense as “Mr. Character” Bergevin’s pursuit of Drouin did.

There are very obvious hockey reasons for being interested in Dubois, though. The rebuild has a structural hole at C, and rightly or wrongly the Habs passed on Cooley and Wright when they were in a position to fix that hole. If we had not gone out and gotten Dach, I think they’d have to look very closely at moving assets to get PLD, who is well within the rebuild’s window age-wise. (Whether there is a deal to be made, conceptually, with the Jets is a whole other question).

Dach is a boom-bust acquisition. But if he hits, PLD will no longer be required. That’s the main reason why I’m perfectly happy to wait. We’ve already made our play at moving out a significant asset to fill the hole at C. If it doesn’t pan out, then maybe we can revisit PLD in two years - unless he is traded and signs elsewhere long-term, which is quite possible IMHO. (Sure, he wants to play in Montreal, but we can’t be the *only* place he wants to play, surely?). But the point is, our GM has made his move at C and it would be silly to make further moves and lose further assets until we know how that move works out.

I like some of our D prospects - But Guhke is the only one that I am confident that he WILL be an NHL player. What I’m not confident of is how good he will be. We’ve had a lot of prospects that were supposed to become at least second pairing guys, not many of those are still here. 

Hell, just look at Poehling. A first rounder who the return was a 4th rounder. With our luck he’ll turn into Leclair going into Penguins and playing with a high end centres.

a lot will come down to how patient we are and how we develop them. Even with Guhle. He may need a year or two in the minors - we won’t know that until training camp and until he plays. If we don’t actually acquire a bonafide Dman, I’m not confident in hoping Guhke will be a top pairing guy, and that Mailloux may be a top pairing guy and at least least a middle pairing guy. Not even sure that Harris and Barron will be SOLID middle pairing dmen.

Edmondson and Savard will probably be done in 2 years, and two me those are support players. We have no stud D. I think how much we are spending on D is very reflective of its quality - and the scary thing is that we are probably overpaying a few of them.

We are a team without clarity on what we have on D, and may not even have a legit starting goalie, depending on Peice’s knee.  I had what I was told was a fairly routine knee surgery in December, and after   Physio twice a week and daily rehab, I still can’t walk properly, and have been told, best case scenario is that it will be 95% of what it was before surgery (not before I had knee issues). I can only imagine what Price is going through trying to play goal, if his knee isn’t right.

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I like some of our D prospects - But Guhke is the only one that I am confident that he WILL be an NHL player. What I’m not confident of is how good he will be. We’ve had a lot of prospects that were supposed to become at least second pairing guys, not many of those are still here. 

Hell, just look at Poehling. A first rounder who the return was a 4th rounder. With our luck he’ll turn into Leclair going into Penguins and playing with a high end centres.

a lot will come down to how patient we are and how we develop them. Even with Guhle. He may need a year or two in the minors - we won’t know that until training camp and until he plays. If we don’t actually acquire a bonafide Dman, I’m not confident in hoping Guhke will be a top pairing guy, and that Mailloux may be a top pairing guy and at least least a middle pairing guy. Not even sure that Harris and Barron will be SOLID middle pairing dmen.

Edmondson and Savard will probably be done in 2 years, and two me those are support players. We have no stud D. I think how much we are spending on D is very reflective of its quality - and the scary thing is that we are probably overpaying a few of them.

We are a team without clarity on what we have on D, and may not even have a legit starting goalie, depending on Peice’s knee.  I had what I was told was a fairly routine knee surgery in December, and after   Physio twice a week and daily rehab, I still can’t walk properly, and have been told, best case scenario is that it will be 95% of what it was before surgery (not before I had knee issues). I can only imagine what Price is going through trying to play goal, if his knee isn’t right.

Well…I think a lot of what you are describing is an organization that is rebuilding. 

A rebuild relies on prospects, and it’s pretty rare that a team has absolute certainty regarding the ceiling of its prospects. Let’s not fall into the delusion that the rebuilding norm is that you have obvious superstars banging on the door; rather, it’s in the nature of a rebuild that you have to trust your drafting and development. Between Barron, Harris, Guhle, Mailloux, Hutson, and (say) 1-2 of the other kids - sometimes one “hits” that we don’t see coming - we can be pretty confident of organizational depth in the prospect pool at D.  If another organization had that pool at D, we’d be projecting nice things for their future on the blueline. 

Your jitters about the Habs’ development system are well-founded in painful experience. But this is a completely new management group. Just because Bergevin and Gainey sucked at player development, it doesn’t follow that Hugh-Gort will.

Regarding G: yes. Of all the positional holes in the organization, this one is the most obscured by shadows: it is really hard to squint 3-4 years down the line and guess at who will be in nets. The Habs have a long history - like decades - of magically finding goalies right when they need them. Let’s hope that’s one tradition that continues. I’d hate to see us become one of those teams, like EDM, that is endlessly trying to plug the hole in the dike in net.

Sorry about your knee issues, man. Chronic pain absolutely sucks.

17 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t think it matters how much you are making,

or what you do - family issues are going to have an impact in your performance on the job. 

This... so much this.  People like to think that players are robots like EA NHL.  They arent.

As for the RD hole, a one year cheap deal for a former Hab who wore #76 wouldnt be the worst idea for a placeholder.

At worst a fan favourite excites the crowd a couple nights when he shows flashes of his former self.

At best, he plays half decent and is a former Norris winner we can trade at the deadline for more rebuild assets.

Just now, Commandant said:

As for the RD hole, a one year cheap deal for a former Hab who wore #76 wouldnt be the worst idea for a placeholder.

At worst a fan favourite excites the crowd a couple nights when he shows flashes of his former self.

At best, he plays half decent and is a former Norris winner we can trade at the deadline for more rebuild assets.

Ha! I’ve been saying this for a while :) Assuming he takes an affordable deal with modest term - and at this stage, I don’t think he is an a position to demand more - why not bring back PK?

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ha! I’ve been saying this for a while :) Assuming he takes an affordable deal with modest term - and at this stage, I don’t think he is an a position to demand more - why not bring back PK?

The only issue is making sure that he and Gallagher can get along.