Petry traded to Pittsburgh

dlbalr

3 minutes ago, DON said:

UGGG no thanks. What the heck for?

Perhaps a perfect Petry replacement to support the rebuild, for ONE season

19 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps a perfect Petry replacement to support the rebuild, for ONE season

Perfect...in what sense exactly?  He isn't half the player he was even a couple of years ago, he's a mediocre third-pairing player.  He shoots right-handed.  That's about the only thing of value he brings to the table.  Granted, there isn't a bumper crop of right-shot UFA d-men out there (Subban joins Klingberg and Stralman as basically the only options) but I don't think some people realize just how bad Subban has been lately.  If they find a way to add a right-shot d-man, I think it'll be on the trade front.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Perfect ... He isn't half the player he was even a couple of years ago, he's a mediocre third-pairing player ...

Exactly ... slightly tongue-in-cheek

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Because we are really thin at RHD and i dont think its good for development to break in 3 rookie dmen together.

That’s the point, yes. You don’t add PK to help the team win right now. You add him as a warm body who can take minutes and provide a buffer for your young guys. That said, maybe between Wideman and (gulp) Madison Bowey we have enough of a buffer for Barron? I doubt it myself, but maybe.

Another factor - frankly - is leadership. PK is a seasoned veteran who knows Montreal and loves playing here. Not a bad guy to have around on a short-term deal during a rebuild IMHO.

I love PK, but I'm skeptical of whether he'd be the best guy to mentor the young D and create a winning culture. Seems like a bit of a boat-rocker and more focused on his media career at this point. Apparently he doesn't get along with Gallagher, and probably others in the organization. Strikes me as a little risky for such a low reward acquisition.

• Upvote 1