Habs sign Monty for 2 years.

Dalhabs

I have this irrational liking for Montembault, so good for him. I hope he turns out to be a late bloomer and develops into a legitimate NHL backup. Right now it's not even clear that he's that...but the one-way ticket implies that that's how the Habs see him, anyway.

19 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Just speculation, but 3 goalies on one-way contracts may mean the Habs don’t expect Price to play this season.

As dlbalr noted, he can be waived to the AHL as Primeau's back-up and the 2nd yr of deal dissuades other teams from claiming him, in case Price's knee wont hold up and allow him to play.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/07/habs-re-sign-samuel-montembeault/

5 hours ago, DON said:

As dlbalr noted, he can be waived to the AHL as Primeau's back-up and the 2nd yr of deal dissuades other teams from claiming him, in case Price's knee wont hold up and allow him to play.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/07/habs-re-sign-samuel-montembeault/

My guess is that he would not be waived until it's clear that Price is ready to play. Even if the two-year contract reduces the risk of him being claimed. But we'll see ...

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I have this irrational liking for Montembault, so good for him. I hope he turns out to be a late bloomer and develops into a legitimate NHL backup. Right now it's not even clear that he's that...but the one-way ticket implies that that's how the Habs see him, anyway.

The Habs dont want him claimed on waivers so they gave him 2 years and the one way.  

Teams on a budget that have a short term injury and wont want to put him in the AhL when their regular backup returns will be dissuaded from claiming him.  Meanwhile the Habs take no cap hit if hes in the minors, just straight cash. 

This is using Montreal's financial muscle to buy a million dollar insurance policy on Price 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

My guess is that he would not be waived until it's clear that Price is ready to play. Even if the two-year contract reduces the risk of him being claimed. But we'll see ...

That makes sense.  He's probably someone that would be waived at the end of training camp as by then, they'll know whether or not Price is ready.  If he is, Montembeault goes on waivers.  If not, Price goes to IR and Montembeault stays up.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

The Habs dont want him claimed on waivers so they gave him 2 years and the one way.  

Teams on a budget that have a short term injury and wont want to put him in the AhL when their regular backup returns will be dissuaded from claiming him.  Meanwhile the Habs take no cap hit if hes in the minors, just straight cash. 

This is using Montreal's financial muscle to buy a million dollar insurance policy on Price 

Yes, that makes perfect sense. 

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Great analysis, thanks.

17 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

wasn't Monty, Montoya?

Sadly ... nicknames aren't what they used to be ... these days almost any player whose last name starts with MONT is likely to be called Monty

Laval has now re-signed Kevin Poulin so perhaps the role for Montembeault is to be a full-time third-stringer with the Habs and not a high-paid AHL insurance policy.  Primeau/Poulin in Laval, Vrbetic/Desrosiers in T-R - that doesn't really leave a spot for Montembeault in the minors.  Could they get away with giving him a few starts in Montreal, have him back up Allen some nights (to keep Price a little more rested), and give him a couple of conditioning assignments during the year to get a bit of action in with Laval?

Just now, dlbalr said:

Laval has now re-signed Kevin Poulin so perhaps the role for Montembeault is to be a full-time third-stringer with the Habs and not a high-paid AHL insurance policy.  Primeau/Poulin in Laval, Vrbetic/Desrosiers in T-R - that doesn't really leave a spot for Montembeault in the minors.  Could they get away with giving him a few starts in Montreal, have him back up Allen some nights (to keep Price a little more rested), and give him a couple of conditioning assignments during the year to get a bit of action in with Laval?

I just saw that, and I thought it to be puzzling.... I am still trying to figure out how the new brass evaluates talent: bigger door for incoming talent then trimming the less performant? Or swinging for the fences with high risk reward and sticking with the hot ones that fill a need?

Good for Poulin, he did well last season, from what I remember.

4 minutes ago, huzer said:

The plethora of goalies is intriguing.

plethora vs heir ?

quantity vs quality ?

Habs do not have a successor to Price. Casting a wide net for lack of a good SONAR is one approach to take

45 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

plethora vs heir ?

quantity vs quality ?

Habs do not have a successor to Price. Casting a wide net for lack of a good SONAR is one approach to take

I wasn't implying in any way that there was any quality or successor in the mix. I still think Price won't play this year, through no indication other than my own thoughts. I also don't think there is any pressing need to fill the role with a quality starter this year.

It's one thing to say that Price "won't play next year." This signing doesn't prove that.

It's another to say that Price is up in the air and that the team needs an insurance policy in case he can't play at all, or (as I suspect will be the case) he can only play in spurts. For sure this signing can be taken in that light.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's one thing to say that Price "won't play next year." This signing doesn't prove that.

It's another to say that Price is up in the air and that the team needs an insurance policy in case he can't play at all, or (as I suspect will be the case) he can only play in spurts. For sure this signing can be taken in that light.

I base it on nothing other than my gut. The signing didn't steer me one way or the other. However, Montreal has 3 NHL signed goalies, 2 AHL goalies, 2 signed (maybe more, I dunno) ECHL goalies.

I mentioned it in a different thread at some point, when I mentioned Byron and Price potentially starting the season on LTIR. I hope the PRP injections for Price provide some relief. I don't wish for Price to retire, nor to have debilitating knee issues. But with the hoopla of the Florida game to end the year, his year end presser, and the general air of mystery last season, I can't say I have warm fuzzies about the continuation of his career.