Robidas hired by MSL/Habs

GHT120

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I would suggest that HuGo hiring a second coach with no NHL experience (or (allowing MSL to hire one) is them doing things quite differently ... that he is French is true but with 704 of his 937 NHL games played with Dallas I would say that calling Robidas a "former Habs defenceman" is technically true but not in the spirit of the "nepotism" that teams are normally accused of when hiring former players.

All 12 folks in Hockey Ops and Coaching staff are white folks with penis's.

Hmmmm, just coincidence is zero diversity? 

Woman cant coach nor get respect from pro players i assume are the main reasons for this?

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... Why not have ONE grizzled veteran of a coach there, offering an experienced perspective - especially when things go awry?  ...

HOPEFULLY, that function will be filled by a veteran coach joining the organization to consult with/support MSL ... IMO there is a better chance of getting a quality veteran coach if they don't have to be subordinate to an inexperienced HC, or undertake the travel demands of full-time coaching.

11 minutes ago, DON said:

All 12 folks in Hockey Ops and Coaching staff are white folks with penis's ...

Hockey Operations Personnel includes Claudine Crépin (Director, Team Services and Hockey Administration) and (Susan Cryans (Executive Assistant to the EVP and General Manager) ... and Marie-Philip Poulin is a Player Development Consultant ... whether they are all "white folks with penis's" depends on how the boxes are drawn on the org-chart ... but THAT said, more needs to be done.

if you were still hopeful that the Habs may try to make the playoffs...

<<Si vous en doutiez encore, le ton est donné en vue de la prochaine campagne : patience, communication et amélioration individuelle. Il n’y aura aucune pression liée aux résultats en 2022-23, et tous ceux et celles qui suivent les activités du Canadien doivent le savoir d’emblée au lieu d’attendre quelque chose qui pourrait ne pas venir tout de suite.>>

From Google translate:

<<If you still doubt it, the tone is set for the next campaign: patience, communication and individual improvement. There will be no pressure for results in 2022-23, and everyone who follows the Canadian's activities needs to know that right away instead of waiting for something that might not come right away.>>

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if you were still hopeful that the Habs may try to make the playoffs...

<<Si vous en doutiez encore, le ton est donné en vue de la prochaine campagne : patience, communication et amélioration individuelle. Il n’y aura aucune pression liée aux résultats en 2022-23, et tous ceux et celles qui suivent les activités du Canadien doivent le savoir d’emblée au lieu d’attendre quelque chose qui pourrait ne pas venir tout de suite.>>

From Google translate:

<<If you still doubt it, the tone is set for the next campaign: patience, communication and individual improvement. There will be no pressure for results in 2022-23, and everyone who follows the Canadian's activities needs to know that right away instead of waiting for something that might not come right away.>>

This is why we have such a robust development system including analytics. 

This season and next season are all about developing our youth and I think having Marty and his team are going to help. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The issue isn't that MSL is incompetent (although I still think a half-season, especially one replete with post-DD glow, is a small sample size). The issue is whether it's a good idea to have minimal NHL bench experience in your coaching staff, period.

Don't give me the stuff about these guys having lots of playing experience. That's almost completely irrelevant to being a good coach. Look at the clown show we had under Mario Tremblay: Cup rings galore on the coaching staff, complete gong-show in terms of coaching performance. 

Burrows, Robidas, and MSL may all be great hires taken in isolation. All I'm questioning is whether we should have all three of them behind the same bench at the same time. Why not have ONE grizzled veteran of a coach there, offering an experienced perspective - especially when things go awry? 

Seems mighty odd to me. That said, I definitely hope my concerns prove unfounded. Looked at objectively, though, this is weird, I think.

I think part of the hesitation some inexperienced coaches have of a grizzled vet on the staff, is that there is someone ready to step in if thing go sideways. Dumb attitude, but I’ve seen leaders at work surround themselves with non-threatening and useless minions to their management teams, because they are non-threatening hood yes men.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

[...]

Seems mighty odd to me. That said, I definitely hope my concerns prove unfounded. Looked at objectively, though, this is weird, I think.

well, for one thing, it brings lots of hope for the future with a new direction and a new approach

this will probably translate into ticket sales and rebranded sweaters, hoodies and hats ... revenue for the next couple of loosing seasons.

on those two fronts, MSL and the coaching staff are great signings

the draft and recent transactions were really good and in a couple of years they should make this team lots of fun to watch. I am also skeptic that this coaching team will beat all odds and be the best possible group to develop the prospects to their full potential

I honestly hope I am wrong, I truly hope the Hugh-Gort plan works

On 7/28/2022 at 7:48 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I honestly hope I am wrong, I truly hope the Hugh-Gort plan works

Everyone Has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth - Commit Works

...or they find out tomorrow that Price with 100% certainty, cant play at all this year, then Hughes can sleep a bit easier and also shop for a RH d-man for Mr Robidas to work with..

Still keep thinking goalies will be severely tested, but Matheson-Edmundson-Savard are 1/2 of OK top six; fingers crossed Guhle-Barron-Harris (Norlinder?) all show signs of solid play and Wideman is a PP star.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Everyone Has a Plan Until They Get Punched in the Mouth - Commit Works

...or they find out tomorrow that Price with 100% certainty, cant play at all this year, then Hughes can sleep a bit easier and also shop for a RH d-man for Mr Robidas to work with..

Still keep thinking goalies will be severely tested, but Matheson-Edmundson-Savard are 1/2 of OK top six; fingers crossed Guhle-Barron-Harris (Norlinder?) all show signs of solid play and Wideman is a PP star.

starting with lady year’s D pairs

Matheson is an improvement on Romanov and Barron seems more reliable defensively than Wideman; this gives:

Matheson-Savard

Edmundson/Barron

Wideman

With the following firing it out for 6th and 7th :

Schueneman

Guhle

Harris

Norlinder

Strubble

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Schueneman

Guhle

Harris

Norlinder

Strubble

You can cross Struble off that list - he isn't under contract and is going back to college.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Matheson is an improvement on Romanov and Barron seems more reliable defensively than Wideman; this gives:

Matheson-Savard

Edmundson/Barron

Wideman

Schueneman

Guhle

Harris

Norlinder

Strubble

My fear is that Baron will be rushed into the lineup because of need on the right side ... I was not so impressed last year that I think he is ready for 2nd pairing minutes, or even game-in/game-out regular minutes ... but until HuGo manage to clear some salary to sign Dach and add a veteran defenceman ("bodies" not legit top 6 D) it is the hand they are dealt.  

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

You can cross Struble off that list - he isn't under contract and is going back to college.

That’s why he was last

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

My fear is that Baron will be rushed into the lineup because of need on the right side ... I was not so impressed last year that I think he is ready for 2nd pairing minutes, or even game-in/game-out regular minutes ... but until HuGo manage to clear some salary to sign Dach and add a veteran defenceman ("bodies" not legit top 6 D) it is the hand they are dealt.  

I liked Barron, with Edmundson he should be just fine. Specially with Robidas’ mandate 

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

That’s why he was last

You put him in a list of players battling for 6th/7th spot at training camp.  He won't be at training camp so how can he be battling for that spot?  Sure, he's last on your list (ahead of others who will actually be at camp) but he shouldn't be on there at all. 

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

You put him in a list of players battling for 6th/7th spot at training camp.  He won't be at training camp so how can he be battling for that spot?  Sure, he's last on your list (ahead of others who will actually be at camp) but he shouldn't be on there at all. 

I thought he would be there

Thanks for letting me know 

I understand the risk of multiple inexperienced hires, but I’m happy with whoever MSL goes with. If he got his guy, and believes he’ll be the best fit I’m ok and here’s why:

MSL seems to be a new iteration of coaching that I’ve been wanting for a long time i.e, a coach who doesn’t bend his players into his system, but bends his system around his players. 

In order to get the most out of your roster, you have to play off their strengths. It’s been too long that I’ve seen people stifled under strict systems that simply don’t fit the player. Put a Lamborghini in a rally car race and it probably gets stuck. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad vehicle, just gotta put it on the right track. 

Inherently, I believe this style of coaching is more adaptive/resilient to challenges. 

so despite the inexperience, the people in place are tailor-made to adapt and figure it out. On top of this, it’s a player development friendly style. 

I’m happy not to have another old boys club coach-fossil resurrected for the 10th time. 

But of course, I concede there’s a ton of risk because we don’t have much indication of just how good Robidas is at coaching

• Like 3

Would be curious to hear exactly 'why' St Louis preferred Robidas and who else was interviewed or considered.

Seems Habs have been pretty conservative and defense first for long time.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Would be curious to hear exactly 'why' St Louis preferred Robidas and who else was interviewed or considered.

Seems Habs have been pretty conservative and defense first for long time.

Why he was selected is a fair question but who else was interviewed is something I doubt the team would address, unless it was PERHAPS  to confirm or deny someone's claim that they were interviewed.

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

College guys can't go to training camps or they lose their NCAA eligibility.

This is IMO an outdated remnant of the NCAA pretending that their sports are an "amateur" endeavour ... especially in light of the fact that, for many years now, a player can be "professional" in one sport but still play in the NCAA in another ... or ... that a NHL drafted player who does not sign a contract and goes to an NCAA school to play hockey can sign a promotional deal for whatever amount they can get under the recent Name, Image & Likeness policy (wonder whether the Coyotes could sign Logan Cooley to a NIL promotional contract?).

Despite not having signed a contract or getting paid to participate, even skating on the same ice surface with professional players in a training camp costs players their NCAA eligibility ... a CHL player accepting the minimal stipend provided by teams makes them ineligible for the NCAA in hockey, even though it is likely FAR less than the value of tuition, room and board scholarships provide ... the NCAA is a scam (IMO) ... but "thems is the rules" at the moment. 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:07 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

Matheson-Savard

Edmundson/Barron

Wideman

Schueneman

Guhle

Harris

Norlinder

Strubble

I would like one more veteran depth d-man. One injury to our veterans and we are in the position of playing rookies non-stop irrespective of their performance. I’d prefer a calmer, more measured framework for player development.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Why he was selected is a fair question but who else was interviewed is something I doubt the team would address, unless it was PERHAPS  to confirm or deny someone's claim that they were interviewed.

Apparently they were looking at Quinn for an assistant role but he got the head coach job in San Jose.  Per Freidmann's podcast.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

This is IMO an outdated remnant of the NCAA pretending that their sports are an "amateur" endeavour ... especially in light of the fact that, for many years now, a player can be "professional" in one sport but still play in the NCAA in another ... or ... that a NHL drafted player who does not sign a contract and goes to an NCAA school to play hockey can sign a promotional deal for whatever amount they can get under the recent Name, Image & Likeness policy (wonder whether the Coyotes could sign Logan Cooley to a NIL promotional contract?).

Despite not having signed a contract or getting paid to participate, even skating on the same ice surface with professional players in a training camp costs players their NCAA eligibility ... a CHL player accepting the minimal stipend provided by teams makes them ineligible for the NCAA in hockey, even though it is likely FAR less than the value of tuition, room and board scholarships provide ... the NCAA is a scam (IMO) ... but "thems is the rules" at the moment. 

Its not the stipend thats the issue.. its that the CHL allows players signed to NHL contracts to play, makiny it a semi-pro league in thebeyes of the NCAA.

The USHL also has stipends but is amateur per the NCAA due to not allowing NHL signed players.

Its dumb but thats the reasoning

At some point NCAA will likely need to change their rules. I think there is a lot of pressure on them as the universities make money hand over fist on sports and the student athletes get more or less nothing.

8 hours ago, tomh009 said:

At some point NCAA will likely need to change their rules. I think there is a lot of pressure on them as the universities make money hand over fist on sports and the student athletes get more or less nothing.

Well, the big schools make a lot of money off of football and basketball. Must sports at most schools are just trying to scrap by. Student athletes also get a lot. Tuition, room and board, elite trainers and facilities, top notch health care, etc. That's probably six figures a lot of places, plus now athletes can make money off of their name, image, and likeness while still in school. Sure, it kind of crazy how the top football/basketball players are making pennies compared to what their programs bring in, but that is not true for most sports at most schools.

All that being said, it seems like the NHL could simply allow teams to invite players to training camp without having to sign and pay them. Like in golf, amateurs can still play professional events and simply not take their winnings.