Robidas hired by MSL/Habs

GHT120

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Well, the big schools make a lot of money off of football and basketball. Must sports at most schools are just trying to scrap by. Student athletes also get a lot. Tuition, room and board, elite trainers and facilities, top notch health care, etc. That's probably six figures a lot of places, plus now athletes can make money off of their name, image, and likeness while still in school. Sure, it kind of crazy how the top football/basketball players are making pennies compared to what their programs bring in, but that is not true for most sports at most schools.

All that being said, it seems like the NHL could simply allow teams to invite players to training camp without having to sign and pay them. Like in golf, amateurs can still play professional events and simply not take their winnings.

1) Everything in the first paragraph is true. Very few NCAA schools are making money on hockey.  Maybe like some of the Boston schools, Minnesota, Wisconsin, but the majority are not. 

2) Not that simple.  There are two issues.  Simply playing a pre-season game would lose the players eligibility, even a rookie game.  Similar to the OHL, once you play in a league where people have contracts you lose the eligiblity (just like CHL rule). There are exceptions for the World Championships and Olympics, but there isn't for NHL exhibition/rookie games.   

Secondly, the NCAA is still an educational institution.  Players need to be in school when school is running.  If the school is having classes, the players need to be there and not at an NHL training camp.  They could lose academic eligibility to play.  This works in Summer Camps cause most schools aren't running, but by mid-September when Rookie Camp starts, and then training camp going into October, we are talking about a lot of missed classes which isn't allowed. 

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

Its not the stipend thats the issue.. its that the CHL allows players signed to NHL contracts to play, makiny it a semi-pro league in thebeyes of the NCAA.

The USHL also has stipends but is amateur per the NCAA due to not allowing NHL signed players.

Its dumb but thats the reasoning

VERY DUMB ... the players lose their amateur/NCAA status because of "proximity contact" ... while another player could (theoretically, ignoring any contract restrictions) make millions playing in the NFL but return to school in the spring and play baseball if they have any eligibility left.

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

... Secondly, the NCAA is still an educational institution.  Players need to be in school when school is running.  If the school is having classes, the players need to be there and not at an NHL training camp.  They could lose academic eligibility to play.  This works in Summer Camps cause most schools aren't running, but by mid-September when Rookie Camp starts, and then training camp going into October, we are talking about a lot of missed classes which isn't allowed. 

Tell that to players in the NCAA basketball tournament ... schools may manage to create a paper trail that satisfies academic requirements, but it is about as real as a $3 bill.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Tell that to players in the NCAA basketball tournament ... schools may manage to create a paper trail that satisfies academic requirements, but it is about as real as a $3 bill.

Not sure it of any consequence, missing pre-season/training camp(s) in the long run.

I kinda think they should actually increase draft age 1 year anyway.

Is there any reason they could not still hire a "grizzled vet" coach?

I don't remember the exact roles our existing assistant coaches have but is every one of them required behind the bench? 

53 minutes ago, REV-G said:

Is there any reason they could not still hire a "grizzled vet" coach?

I don't remember the exact roles our existing assistant coaches have but is every one of them required behind the bench? 

They could hire a senior advisor type of coach that could watch games from above.  Not all coaches have to be behind the bench - goalie coaches, for example, aren't on the bench.

• Upvote 1

On 7/31/2022 at 12:29 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would like one more veteran depth d-man. One injury to our veterans and we are in the position of playing rookies non-stop irrespective of their performance. I’d prefer a calmer, more measured framework for player development.

I would prefer to leave the prospects in Laval to start the season.

I do not want to burn the kids' development; but at the same time, I do not want to run to the ground Matheson, Edmundson and Savard. A 4th D that can take the load off the others would be great.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

All of that may be true, but there is a difference when the school is taking kids out for games (thursdays, Fridays and weekends) for the tournament and having makeup classes vs a kid missing three weeks to go to NHL camp with a pro hockey organization. 

I'm not saying I agree, just telling you how the NCAA justifies it. 

5 hours ago, DON said:

Not sure it of any consequence, missing pre-season/training camp(s) in the long run.

I kinda think they should actually increase draft age 1 year anyway.

Good luck with the anti trust law and the courts.  18 year old saying he's being prevented from making a living unfairly cause the NHL's rules on age are discriminatory (and is considered an adult in most jurisdictions).

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Good luck with the anti trust law and the courts.  18 year old saying he's being prevented from making a living unfairly cause the NHL's rules on age are discriminatory (and is considered an adult in most jurisdictions).

Exactly ... also ... good luck convincing owners to essentially empty out the draft for one season ... especially those expected to be near the bottom of the league in the "skip draft" (i.e., when players projected as top picks, and throughout the draft for that matter, are suddenly ineligible) to approve even pursuing such a change.

8 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Strongly agree with this. I think that extra year of development would help a lot.

Yes, dont think it would hurt them to be an amateur an extra year.

On 8/1/2022 at 12:00 AM, Commandant said:

Secondly, the NCAA is still an educational institution.  Players need to be in school when school is running.  If the school is having classes, the players need to be there and not at an NHL training camp.  They could lose academic eligibility to play.  This works in Summer Camps cause most schools aren't running, but by mid-September when Rookie Camp starts, and then training camp going into October, we are talking about a lot of missed classes which isn't allowed. 

Athletes get super special treatment. A lot of them were already doing all their classes online to maximize training time even before COVID. And as the NCAA is now dissolving into two mega-conferences that are going to range from coast to coast, we're going to start seeing schools setting up home bases thousands of miles away from campus so athletes can have a central location to live during long road trips and attend classes remotely. In other words, there are reasons why college athletes can't attend camp, but missing classes is at the bottom of that list.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Athletes get super special treatment. A lot of them were already doing all their classes online to maximize training time even before COVID. And as the NCAA is now dissolving into two mega-conferences that are going to range from coast to coast, we're going to start seeing schools setting up home bases thousands of miles away from campus so athletes can have a central location to live during long road trips and attend classes remotely. In other words, there are reasons why college athletes can't attend camp, but missing classes is at the bottom of that list.

Again, I'm not saying the rules make sense.  I'm just providing the NCAA explanation for the rule. 

There were a few kids about 10 years ago (I think was 2009-10 or 2013-14) who attended their team's rookie camps and then went to school cause the rookie camp was earlier than usual due to it being an olympic year, and their particular school started later than usual.  They were allowed to attend cause the school wasn't in session, but other players whose school was in session were not allowed to attend by the NCAA. 

18 hours ago, Commandant said:

Again, I'm not saying the rules make sense.  I'm just providing the NCAA explanation for the rule. 

There were a few kids about 10 years ago (I think was 2009-10 or 2013-14) who attended their team's rookie camps and then went to school cause the rookie camp was earlier than usual due to it being an olympic year, and their particular school started later than usual.  They were allowed to attend cause the school wasn't in session, but other players whose school was in session were not allowed to attend by the NCAA. 

Oh, I know. I'm not trying to contradict or anything. I'm really just highlighting the wishy-washy-ness of the NCAA, an organization who for a time allowed schools to provide bagels to student atheletes, but only if they didn't also provide cream cheese.