Tank Hard for Bedard (as heard on TSN690)

alfredoh2009

with the WJC about to start and the rainy weather feeling like early fall, I thought it would be a good time to start a thread for "tankers". This way we safely cheer for any loses from our beloved Habs that brings them closer to drafting first overall once again.

Go Habs Go!!!

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Joshua Roy was on the top line at practice for Canada today.  That surprises me.  Kidney is on the fifth line.  That one doesn't surprise me.

While picking first again would be incredible, I expect the Habs to be better than last season. Perhaps a full season with Marty means a 50 goal season for Caufield 🥳

I expect a top ten pick but I doubt we finish last this season. I’m not even sure we pick top 4. 

One thing is for sure that I want Chicago to get screwed in the draft lottery. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

While picking first again would be incredible, I expect the Habs to be better than last season. Perhaps a full season with Marty means a 50 goal season for Caufield 🥳

I expect a top ten pick but I doubt we finish last this season. I’m not even sure we pick top 4. 

Even the 11th worst team (22nd place overall) has a chance at picking first ... only the 16th place team doesn't have a chance at a top 4 pick ... of course the Habs also have a chance of making the playoffs.

I think our FW unit is good enough to be a bubble team, but our D is a tire-fire waiting to happen. So we'll finish soundly out of the playoffs, although I expect a spirited effort from a young team playing hard and having fun. How, though, is anyone going to do worse than Chicago?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think our FW unit is good enough to be a bubble team, but our D is a tire-fire waiting to happen. So we'll finish soundly out of the playoffs, although I expect a spirited effort from a young team playing hard and having fun. How, though, is anyone going to do worse than Chicago?

I tend to agree. I think a reasonable prediction is bottom 10 but it's always difficult to predict from year to year as a lot of unexpected things can happen to change things ie;  injuries to key personnel, young guys develop better/worse than expected.  I think the health of Carey Price will determine a lot this year. I don't think anyone will be worse than Chicago. 

I don't like to wish bad things on other teams but wouldn't mind seeing Florida struggle a bit. Having 2 lottery picks would be amazing but that's probably wishful thinking. However losing Weegar and Chiarot on defense certainly makes them vulnerable there. A key injury on defense and they are in big trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't like to wish bad things on other teams but wouldn't mind seeing Florida struggle a bit. Having 2 lottery picks would be amazing but that's probably wishful thinking. However losing Weegar and Chiarot on defense certainly makes them vulnerable there. A key injury on defense and they are in big trouble. 

You're a better man than me...I wish nothing but hot, fiery, agonizing death to Toronto and Ottawa in particular, and wretched, humiliating failure to Boston. No amount of suffering is too much for those three franchises in my book.

image.jpeg

As for Florida, they have made very foolish decisions managerially IMHO, plus they are one of Bettman's bullcrap expansion teams, so hey, if they crap out, that's really just fine by me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How, though, is anyone going to do worse than Chicago?

People were asking the same question last season with who could do worse than Arizona and we all know how that turned out which was something no one was expecting. 

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

People were asking the same question last season with who could do worse than Arizona and we all know how that turned out which was something no one was expecting. 

True. But the odds of us being “that team” two years running are pretty slender…

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You're a better man than me...I wish nothing but hot, fiery, agonizing death to Toronto and Ottawa in particular, and wretched, humiliating failure to Boston. No amount of suffering is too much for those three franchises in my book.

As for Florida, they have made very foolish decisions managerially IMHO, plus they are one of Bettman's bullcrap expansion teams, so hey, if they crap out, that's really just fine by me.

I don't wish a hot fiery, agonizing death for Toronto, at least not in the regular season.  I love seeing them have a good regular season (so they don't get a lottery pick), beat Florida every time this year, maybe even win the division and then go out in the first round. That's almost a perfect scenario. 

13 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Chicago and Phoenix both falling would be sweet.

Hopefully this thread fades into the abyss…

10 hours ago, sbhatt said:

With this defense in front of Allen/Montembeault I think we'll have a reasonable shot at Bedard, or great shot at a top 5 pick at least.

I dunno, i think defending will be weakest and goalies will be tested for sure?

But, how much an impact will the big rookie have? 15g...20?

Dadanov & Hoffman likely keen to show 'something' to contending teams as careers wind down. Will it translate into more offense and then a couple picks in late Feb?

So kinda think will score a bit more, but should be in lower 3rd of standings anyways.

From last season, we'll be missing Toffoli, Chiarot, Petry and Lehkonen. On the other hand, we have Dadonov and Monahan (later), and some youngsters developing and the St-Louis effect. Better than last year? I think much depends on goaltending, will Allen stay healthy and can Montembeault be more consistent?

I don't expect to be the worst team in the league but surely well into the lottery range.

I do not want the D prospects in the NHL roster. 
Schueneman should be in the Habs lineup and they may trade for another NHL D for the tank 

Montembeault should play as much as possible so that Allen is healthy and at full trade-deadline value 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

From last season, we'll be missing Toffoli, Chiarot, Petry and Lehkonen. On the other hand, we have Dadonov and Monahan (later), and some youngsters developing and the St-Louis effect. Better than last year? I think much depends on goaltending, will Allen stay healthy and can Montembeault be more consistent?

I don't expect to be the worst team in the league but surely well into the lottery range.

No Kulak, no Romanov. The D is going to be a mess.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We will probably be the worst in our division- I think only Buffalo has the potential to be worse. Ottawa and Detroit have both significantly improved. In the East only the Flyers will probably finish below is, but the Islanders could also slide below us. I can’t see anyone else being worse in the East, and I don’t see us being better than anyone else - depending on how our kids on D do, and what happens with our goaltending. 

We definitely SHOULD NOT be worse than Phoenix, Chicago, or the Flyers though. I’d say we probably finish between the bottom 5 and 10. If the goaltending is what it was last year or worse, or the kids don’t over achieve at all, than we could slide into the 3 to 5 range, but I think we should be able to score more than last year.

So unless pretty much all of the following occur, we are probably a lottery pick, and there is still a chance at Bedard:

- Guhle and Slafkovsky are Calder candidates

- Harris/Barron prove show that they can be legit top 4 Dmen

- Dach shows he deserved his draft position

- someone is capable of being a true number # goalie

25 minutes ago, huzer said:

No Kulak, no Romanov. The D is going to be a mess.

It was already a mess with them!

31 minutes ago, huzer said:

No Kulak 

Is a plus.

31 minutes ago, huzer said:

no Romanov

I think Matheson is more than capable replacement, different style and will miss the bone crunching hits but more offense from the backend is needed.

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

And i can agree with 29...but Petry's play and missing Edmundson for so long, likely hurt the most.

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yes. We have average-to-below-average G and one of the worst blueline corps in all of hockey. I think we will “contend” for the lottery pick. 

I still think our current D configuration is inadequate from a purely developmental POV. We should get one more veteran bottom-3 defender. 

• 3 weeks later...

With Dach and Primeau signed it seems like the Habs have their NHL roster plus a few extra players coming into training camp

barring trades, I hope they finish bottom 3; don’t see how they saouls finish better than bottom 10

Tank hard for Bedard!

I like how the Habs are self-defining in terms of free-wheeling offence. That clip of Hughes talking to Dach showed him emphasizing MSL’s offensive approach. They’re setting young players up for offensive success. This bodes very well for a terrible team that can nevertheless generate a lot of goals, leading to plenty of exciting 6-5 losses and, quite likely, a number of embarrassing 7-2 type blowouts.

On 8/19/2022 at 10:56 AM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would be happy to lose many games 6-5 so that players get lots of points to increase their trade value

Drouin and Monahan I’m looking at you

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

With Dach and Primeau signed it seems like the Habs have their NHL roster plus a few extra players coming into training camp

barring trades, I hope they finish bottom 3; don’t see how they saouls finish better than bottom 10

Tank hard for Bedard!

Well, they shouldn’t dead last again - Chicago and Phoenix will be much worse. Its going to depend on whether the D is as bad as I think it is, or if some kids really step up and help mitigate the other big weakness in goal.

this definitely is the year to finish last, ot at least bottom two.