Tank Hard for Bedard (as heard on TSN690)

alfredoh2009

31 minutes ago, DON said:

Come on Panthers...tank for Bedard...or even just a lottery pick would be acceptable!

That pick we have is top-10 protected. If FL collapses enough to sink into that range, the 2022 1st turns into a 2024 1st. I doubt that would be a good outcome, either from a draft year strength perspective, or  for having to wait another two years for that first-rounder.

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That pick we have is top-10 protected. If FL collapses enough to sink into that range, the 2022 1st turns into a 2024 1st. I doubt that would be a good outcome, either from a draft year strength perspective, or  for having to wait another two years for that first-rounder.

I thought it was unprotected. Capfriendly doesn't show any protections.

22 minutes ago, Neech said:

I thought it was unprotected. Capfriendly doesn't show any protections.

Sorry, I got that confused. It was indeed protected, but it was the 2022 that was protected, so we get the 2023.

image.png

On 11/1/2022 at 1:32 PM, Neech said:

Everyone agrees that we'll be out of the playoffs by season's end and it's vital for our future that we draft a stud. We'd all love for it to be Bedard but that's unlikely even if we were as bad as last year. There's also the weird fact that we've been better at snagging talent late in the lottery than in the top 3 - Guhle, Cole, and Sergachev look like surer bets than KK and Slaf at this point. It looks like this is a loaded draft with maybe 4-5 blue chippers at the top, so even if we don't get Bedard I'd be happy with one of those stud forwards. 

Umm, no I predicted and still stand by us taking a wild card. Go Habs Go!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Umm, no I predicted and still stand by us taking a wild card. Go Habs Go!

I like your enthusiasm and it's always possible they wildly exceed expectations but I think the likely scenario is they still miss. The question is how badly do they miss. Based on evidence so far I think they draft in the 8-12 range but it's still really early. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I like your enthusiasm and it's always possible they wildly exceed expectations but I think the likely scenario is they still miss. The question is how badly do they miss. Based on evidence so far I think they draft in the 8-12 range but it's still really early. 

As long as they finish no better than 11th worst (22nd) they will at least have a shot at the #1 pick.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would honestly be thrilled if we end up with 2 of the 11 lottery chances with both Habs and Fla finishing bottom 11. I would be happier if the kids develop faster and we compete now and Fla implodes. I think our defense was highly under rated by most preseason. In my opinion it is young and will have bad games but is highly talented and will grow as the season goes along. Add in our best goal scorer in decades and I like our chances. Price not retiring gives me faith that if we do pull off a surprise dance ticket he will be there for that final shot. If that happens, I wouldn't bet against us going the distance. Call me a dreamer. Imagine a cup and Bedard all in one swoop? Maybe just John Lennon and I can picture a world like that. 

14 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I would honestly be thrilled if we end up with 2 of the 11 lottery chances with both Habs and Fla finishing bottom 11. I would be happier if the kids develop faster and we compete now and Fla implodes. I think our defense was highly under rated by most preseason. In my opinion it is young and will have bad games but is highly talented and will grow as the season goes along. Add in our best goal scorer in decades and I like our chances. Price not retiring gives me faith that if we do pull off a surprise dance ticket he will be there for that final shot. If that happens, I wouldn't bet against us going the distance. Call me a dreamer. Imagine a cup and Bedard all in one swoop? Maybe just John Lennon and I can picture a world like that. 

I didnt have time to do up a prediction but I think and hope for the exact same thing.  🤪

They had a much better team last year then the results they got.  Their dmen might be young, but they are really good. 

A lot of people here seem to be making usual comments that are applicable to regular season, when this isn't a normal season for the Habs.  i.e. they aren't actively trying to make the playoffs this year.  The point of this season is to give the youngsters experience.  Therefore, I'd certainly wouldn't send WiFi down, in fact I'd play him 20+ mins/game.  People that say he isnt used to the speed etc are right, but how will he get used to NHL speed by playing in the AHL exactly?  After all, only the NHL plays at NHL speed, so thats where he should remain so he becomes accustomed to NHL speed. 

I'd also give Allen and Monty 3 more starts each and if Monty has better stats he becomes the #1 goalie and gets 50+ starts this year.  My reasoning is that after 1 year of NHL play Monty improved by an amount that would have taken him 2+ years of AHL play time.  Its basically the same with WiFi too. 

I also know that there is chance that Price could return.  Price has said that he has talked to other people with the same injury & operation he had and they told him that they didn't feel better for 1.5 years.  There is a chance that could happen to him.  Plus, if the Habs start scoring 5g/gm they wont need Price to keep the other team to 0 or 1 g/gm to win games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I think our defense was highly under rated by most preseason.

One additional factor is the late addition of Kovacevic, who has been solid on the right side, where we had a huge gap.

The kids are playing great, no doubt, but it's only 10 games. I think playoffs are still highly unlikely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It’s tough to adequately judge our defence when we are missing our top two players - Matheson and Edmundson. 

Who sits so Xhekaj can continue to play? 

Matheson

Edmundson

Guhle

Those three are surely ahead of Xhekaj on the LD depth chart so where does Wifi fit? 

For now, move Harris to the right side and sit Wideman who isn't contributing much.  I'm hesitant to move Harris when he's doing well where he is but he'd probably play with Edmundson on the second pairing.  When Matheson comes back, Xhekaj goes to Laval; it's not as if he's playing at a level that has him as a must-play player.  He's surviving at this point and there's a lot he could work on in the minors.

@johnnyhasbeen, @Sir_Boagalott,

I love your enthusiasm. I would like to share it, but I much rather see the Habs to win a Stanley cup in a near future.

If they make the playoffs this season, I am not confident, by the spring,  they would have built a consistent cup contending team that would compete for years to come.

Despite loving seeing the team win and beat expectations, I would prefer they send the waiver exempt players to Laval (to go for a cup run) and for the Habs to roll the lines at the NHL level and let the young core develop.

The D is doing great without Edmundson and Matheson. Allen and Montemeault have stolen a game each (if I remember correctly) which skews that view.

The power play is not scoring at an acceptable rate yet; and overall, besides a couple of games, the forwards are not scoring to an acceptable level.

The team is doing great, with a record of .500 so far; just like a Gainey/Berrgevin middle of the pack bubble team. I do not want that again

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

For now, move Harris to the right side and sit Wideman who isn't contributing much.  I'm hesitant to move Harris when he's doing well where he is but he'd probably play with Edmundson on the second pairing.  When Matheson comes back, Xhekaj goes to Laval; it's not as if he's playing at a level that has him as a must-play player.  He's surviving at this point and there's a lot he could work on in the minors.

Yeah barring a RD trade I don’t think we have a choice but to play Harris on that side - although I don’t know Matheson’s history of playing right D. 

I get why fans want to keep Xhekaj in the NHL but it seems obvious that he is headed for Laval. 

I believe that Edmundson is playing tonight so I’m curious how Marty handles the D pairings 

7 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah barring a RD trade I don’t think we have a choice but to play Harris on that side - although I don’t know Matheson’s history of playing right D. 

I get why fans want to keep Xhekaj in the NHL but it seems obvious that he is headed for Laval. 

I believe that Edmundson is playing tonight so I’m curious how Marty handles the D pairings 

I'm more curious to see how Hughes makes room on the 23-man roster

Just now, GHT120 said:

I'm more curious to see how Hughes makes room on the 23-man roster

I’m expecting a waiving of Dadonov but it’s possible Slafkovsky and or Xhekaj go to Laval. 

I frankly would waive both Dadonov and Hoffman with outside hope of one being picked up or get pissed off and retire/KHL/Europe. 

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m expecting a waiving of Dadonov but it’s possible Slafkovsky and or Xhekaj go to Laval. 

I frankly would waive both Dadonov and Hoffman with outside hope of one being picked up or get pissed off and retire/KHL/Europe. 

Hoffman unlikely to walk away from the rest of this year's, or 23/24's, $5M in actual salary (backloaded contract)

14 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

@johnnyhasbeen, @Sir_Boagalott,

I love your enthusiasm. I would like to share it, but I much rather see the Habs to win a Stanley cup in a near future.

If they make the playoffs this season, I am not confident, by the spring,  they would have built a consistent cup contending team that would compete for years to come.

Despite loving seeing the team win and beat expectations, I would prefer they send the waiver exempt players to Laval (to go for a cup run) and for the Habs to roll the lines at the NHL level and let the young core develop.

The D is doing great without Edmundson and Matheson. Allen and Montemeault have stolen a game each (if I remember correctly) which skews that view.

The power play is not scoring at an acceptable rate yet; and overall, besides a couple of games, the forwards are not scoring to an acceptable level.

The team is doing great, with a record of .500 so far; just like a Gainey/Berrgevin middle of the pack bubble team. I do not want that again

Rebuilds generally take longer than by spring.  lol  However, thats what people should be excited about.  The Habs have majorly jump-started their rebuild.  It wont take them 3-5 years of being bottom of league to be competitive. 

Plus, they have F's Mysak, Mesar, & Beck, along with Roy and Kidney and on d they have Mailoux, Trudeau, and Hutson.  Those guys are all NHL players that will replace F's Druin, Dadonov, Huffman, and on D Edmundson, Savard, Wideman.

I'd rather see the least experienced guys get the most experience possible this year, and that is up and including being in the playoffs. 

The PP needs to do a lot better and they need to up their g/game to over 5. 

They wont be a bubble team for long.  Besides, Timmons is gone, so now they will start being a team that drafts NHL players regularly.  i.e. only teams that suck @ss at drafting need to get the 1st over all pick. 

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Rebuilds generally take longer than by spring.  lol  However, thats what people should be excited about.  The Habs have majorly jump-started their rebuild.  It wont take them 3-5 years of being bottom of league to be competitive. 

Plus, they have F's Mysak, Mesar, & Beck, along with Roy and Kidney and on d they have Mailoux, Trudeau, and Hutson.  Those guys are all NHL players that will replace F's Druin, Dadonov, Huffman, and on D Edmundson, Savard, Wideman.

I'd rather see the least experienced guys get the most experience possible this year, and that is up and including being in the playoffs. 

The PP needs to do a lot better and they need to up their g/game to over 5. 

They wont be a bubble team for long.  Besides, Timmons is gone, so now they will start being a team that drafts NHL players regularly.  i.e. only teams that suck @ss at drafting need to get the 1st over all pick. 

Just to sound my usual note of caution, your argument is predicated on most of those prospects hitting. I know we are all impressed with the young D, but if all three of the newbies continue to play this well for the entire season, it will be a phenomenon we haven’t seen in decades in Montreal, a highly aberrant result. We can’t just assume that mass success will be replicated with other prospects. 

I’m broadly optimistic as well, but I think the upcoming transfer of talent at FW May take 2-3 years to really coalesce into something serious. And we still don’t know just how good that team will become - i.e., just another “pretty good” club, or an elite contender? Too soon to tell. 

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

(...)They wont be a bubble team for long.  Besides, Timmons is gone, so now they will start being a team that drafts NHL players regularly.  i.e. only teams that suck @ss at drafting need to get the 1st over all pick. 

I will note here that Mysak, Roy, Kidney, Mailloux and Trudeau were all drafted by the much-maligned Timmins ...

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just to sound my usual note of caution, your argument is predicated on most of those prospects hitting. I know we are all impressed with the young D, but if all three of the newbies continue to play this well for the entire season, it will be a phenomenon we haven’t seen in decades in Montreal, a highly aberrant result. We can’t just assume that mass success will be replicated with other prospects. 

I’m broadly optimistic as well, but I think the upcoming transfer of talent at FW May take 2-3 years to really coalesce into something serious. And we still don’t know just how good that team will become - i.e., just another “pretty good” club, or an elite contender? Too soon to tell. 

I agree with what you are saying. I’d also add that we can’t even assume that those prospects will continue to progress and improve further.

i remember when Svoboda, Chelios and Kurvers came up, there were  articles on how Kurvers and Chelios could be the future top pairing and the those three would be the next big 3. Well, kurvers and Svoboda were moved and while Chelios was also moved in a real dumb trade, he is the only one who became a legit franchise dman. 

maybe wifi becomes a offline, Ludwig type guy that you need in your middle to bottom pairing, maybe he is better than them. We don’t know that.

same thing up front. I still remember Dahlin was a Calder candidate one year and out of the league after around 3 years.

It would be great if guys like Roy, Beck, Mesar amd some of the other guys tearing it up in Junior replicate their success in the NHL, but that’s far from a guarantee. We don’t even know if Slafkovsky is going to be a top line guy or not. The only two guys I’m convinced will be solid are Suzuki and Caufield, and I’m cautiously optimistic about Guhle. As much as I like Harris, he may be another Kurvers, a good, but not great player that bounces around. 

I like the promise of the players we have, and an excited about their potential, but it would be foolhardy to assume all the young guys that are in the lineup today and are in our pipeline will be a big part of the future, let alone make us a true contender.

• Upvote 2

… and in more recent history: Mete had a great season with Weber; I also liked Mike Reilly’s season when the Habs had “a development season”, he was “raw” but showed potential

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I will note here that Mysak, Roy, Kidney, Mailloux and Trudeau were all drafted by the much-maligned Timmins ...

I fully realize that irony, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.  Timmins definitely had a couple of good draft years, however; over all I was never a fan of how he drafted.  

My point was that the Habs currently have a bunch of prospects coming that should be decent NHL players, but only 1 was a top 5 pick.  There's no truth to the belief that a team must draft in the top 5 to get really good players. 

6 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I fully realize that irony, but even a broken clock is right twice a day.  Timmins definitely had a couple of good draft years, however; over all I was never a fan of how he drafted.  

My point was that the Habs currently have a bunch of prospects coming that should be decent NHL players, but only 1 was a top 5 pick.  There's no truth to the belief that a team must draft in the top 5 to get really good players. 

It is more believed that you have to draft in the top 2 (3-5-8 depending on the draft) to get franchise player talent ... not certain any of the players cited are expected to be franchise players, that is not to say that some might be VERY good but few franchise players (there are a few exceptions I am certain) fall outside the top 10 in the last 20-25 years unless it is an exceptional draft.

FYI - IMO the Habs do not currently have a franchise level player

5 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It would be great if guys like Roy, Beck, Mesar amd some of the other guys tearing it up in Junior replicate their success in the NHL, but that’s far from a guarantee. We don’t even know if Slafkovsky is going to be a top line guy or not. The only two guys I’m convinced will be solid are Suzuki and Caufield, and I’m cautiously optimistic about Guhle. As much as I like Harris, he may be another Kurvers, a good, but not great player that bounces around. 

I like the promise of the players we have, and an excited about their potential, but it would be foolhardy to assume all the young guys that are in the lineup today and are in our pipeline will be a big part of the future, let alone make us a true contender.

I'm not suggesting that the guys tearing it up and are top players in the Q and OHL and NCAA will replicate that in the NHL.  The Habs prospects likely wont be elite top of the league guys, but they should at least be bona fide NHL players that get 20+ g/50 pts/yr, with potential for more.  I'd rather the Habs be a team of 20+ g scorers than have 4 guys taking up half their cap space.  

8 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, it to soon to say for sure, but its a great sign. 

What's the definition of elite exactly anyway?  ex:  have top players and win their division and get bounced 1st or 2nd round for years?  If yes, I'd prefer them to not be elite.  Good teams win by committee.  

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It is more believed that you have to draft in the top 2 (3-5-8 depending on the draft) to get franchise player talent ... not certain any of the players cited are expected to be franchise players, that is not to say that some might be VERY good but few franchise players (there are a few exceptions I am certain) fall outside the top 10 in the last 20-25 years unless it is an exceptional draft.

Look at the other teams that had a 1st over all and top 5 picks for years and won a Cup.  ex:  Caps & OV, they won, when he was in his 30's.  The Blues won, took almost 10 years, had already lost Oshie and Shattenkirk.  Bolts got Stammy and Headman, didnt win till they were both in their 30's.  The Leafs and Oilers are on that exact same pace too - as are the Canucks, Devils and Sabres.    

All those other teams were bottom of the barrel for years and the Habs are in year 1 (or 2) of a rebuild and are already a .500 team and are on pace for a 40 year Cup reunion in 2026.