Tank Hard for Bedard (as heard on TSN690)

alfredoh2009

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Seems like CBJ has consolidated its stranglehold on the Bedard sweepstakes 

OR ... will they be chasing a veteran LHD?

58 minutes ago, Commandant said:

They have been terrible so far.  So doubt they are chasing playoffs 

Tend to agree, logically ... but it depends on how comfortable Jarmo Kekalainen feels, coming up on the 10th anniversary of his hiring next February ... having missed the playoffs 5 times, including the last two seasons ... only making it out of the first round once (1-4) ... and spending almost $140M of John P. McConnell's money since June 1st ... mostly Gaudreau ($68.25) and Laine ($34.8M).

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Tough to tank for Bedard with players like this 👍

Hey, I still think we will easily finish between 7th to 10th worst. So still in the lottery.

We’ll be in the lottery, but I now doubt we will be in the top 5. Top 10 seems a certainty, however.

My standard position regarding concerns about us losing a high draft position by winning too much, has been “wait until Allen gets hurt.” However, even Monty seems to be playing at an unexpectedly high level. So who knows. Right now this is a group that seems destined to keep surprising us. But still - finishing above #22 overall would be truly astounding for this bunch.

My thought this morning: maybe Bergevin and Timmins didn’t leave a team in shambles 

maybe it was the Stanley cup final “hangover” and the catastrophic injuries

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

My thought this morning: maybe Bergevin and Timmins didn’t leave a team in shambles 

maybe it was the Stanley cup final “hangover” and the catastrophic injuries

Don’t forget an incompetent clown of a coach.

And their #1 d-man quit on the team.

Dont think roster has any malcontents like Petry to drag them down a bit closer to Bedard (39pts in 18 games at moment). 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We’ll be in the lottery, but I now doubt we will be in the top 5. Top 10 seems a certainty, however.

My standard position regarding concerns about us losing a high draft position by winning too much, has been “wait until Allen gets hurt.” However, even Monty seems to be playing at an unexpectedly high level. So who knows. Right now this is a group that seems destined to keep surprising us. But still - finishing above #22 overall would be truly astounding for this bunch.

I wouldn't call it a certainty. Their confidence seems to be growing with every game and their young defense doesn't seem intimidated at all. They made Pittsburgh look like an old team last night.  Sometimes it's easier to play when there is no pressure and lower expectations. They are out there working hard and having fun.  Interesting that they have the identical record as Florida right now.  

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I wouldn't call it a certainty. Their confidence seems to be growing with every game and their young defense doesn't seem intimidated at all. They made Pittsburgh look like an old team last night.  Sometimes it's easier to play when there is no pressure and lower expectations. They are out there working hard and having fun.  Interesting that they have the identical record as Florida right now.  

I’m really hoping Florida collapses down to a lottery pick. Would be sweet having two lottery picks! Low probability of it happening, but the changes they made could be a chemistry experiment that blows up in their face - the coaching change reminded me of both times Gallant was dumped.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m really hoping Florida collapses down to a lottery pick. Would be sweet having two lottery picks! 

That would be really sweet!!  Agree about the low probability.  However I don't think they will win their division again and if they go out in the 1st round it could be a pick in the high teens which would still be pretty decent in this draft. 

Just to add a little context to how historically bad last season was:

• 8th win of 2022-2023: Nov 12
  • 8th win of 2021-2022: Jan 18

After that 8th win last year, they had a 10 game losing streak, and didn't get win #9 until Feb 17th. To match that level of incompetence, they would have to embark on a consecutive 40 game losing streak. Oof.

• Like 1

I do not know why the Habs would not tank, give the low probability they win the cup?!

I say that it is time for a first trade at the 20-25 game mark to shake the winning streak off and go back to .500 hockey

image.png

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Those percentages are way too generous, too. Even without trading away veterans I can't see that the Habs' playoff chances would be above 10%, certainly not 49%.

they will hit the 20  game mark against CHI. Three 4-point games against teams in the Bedard sweepstakes (as far as I can tell)

We will probably have a better idea after the CHI game on how real a playoff participation may be. I hope the Habs loose more than half the games in the coming week... but they have been playing too well for that to happen

image.png

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Those percentages are way too generous, too. Even without trading away veterans I can't see that the Habs' playoff chances would be above 10%, certainly not 49%.

Tied 13th overall at moment. So even as well as playing early on,  they are mediocre league-wise. 

I would agree closer to 10% than  40% for sure.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not know why the Habs would not tank, give the low probability they win the cup?!

Because they don't want to create a culture of losing. If they end up with a high pick without trying to "tank" then fine. No way I want them to do what Chicago is doing. A terrible message to send to your young players.  

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Because they don't want to create a culture of losing. If they end up with a high pick without trying to "tank" then fine. No way I want them to do what Chicago is doing. A terrible message to send to your young players.  

IMO it takes far more than 3/4-ish of a season to "create a culture of losing".

8 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

they need more elite talent, or they will be condemned to bubble-team status again.

Allen will be gone, and a G tandem of Montembeault-Primeau doesn't inspire confidence to backstop a cup contending team.

Why stop short, when there are no expectations to win this year? especially since it would only take a couple of tweaks to tank

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree. Last year was 1 year.  I don't think it would be good to go through that again. 

Well played ... disagree ... but well played