Tank Hard for Bedard (as heard on TSN690)

alfredoh2009

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not know why the Habs would not tank, give the low probability they win the cup?!

I say that it is time for a first trade at the 20-25 game mark to shake the winning streak off and go back to .500 hockey

image.png

Players and coaches dont intentionally tank.

Tanking has to come from the GM trading good players away.  

Im not sure which players that is given 

1) they seem to want to keep Allen.  Moving him is the easiest way to tank.

2) some of the habs best players have been guys like suzuki, caufield, dach, guhle, harris. Those are guys you dont want to trade to tank.  Its counterproductive to give up good youngsters.

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Tanking has to come from the GM trading good players away. 

Im not sure which players that is given 

1) they seem to want to keep Allen.  Moving him is the easiest way to tank.

2) some of the habs best players have been guys like suzuki, caufield, dach, guhle, harris. Those are guys you dont want to trade to tank.  Its counterproductive to give up good youngsters.

3) Edmundson and Savard. Trading them would really expose the young D. However, it would likely also have a detrimental effect of those young D.

So, yes, goaltending is the easiest way (pre-deadline), either by trading Allen or having him start too many games (too much work has not been ideal for Allen in the past). However, both Allen and Montembeault are signed beyond this season so this really doesn't look likely.

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

3) Edmundson and Savard. Trading them would really expose the young D. However, it would likely also have a detrimental effect of those young D.

So, yes, goaltending is the easiest way (pre-deadline), either by trading Allen or having him start too many games (too much work has not been ideal for Allen in the past). However, both Allen and Montembeault are signed beyond this season so this really doesn't look likely.

I think trading Edmundson or Savard will be the big decision at the deadline as they both could be in big demand. 

53 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

This team has played the majority of their games without Edmundson anyway though.  

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not know why the Habs would not tank, give the low probability they win the cup?!

I say that it is time for a first trade at the 20-25 game mark to shake the winning streak off and go back to .500 hockey

So who are you trading and, more importantly, which team that has enough cap space to make a move is taking on whichever contract you want to move?  The trade market is going to be dead for at least the next three months as teams desperately try to accrue some cap space and/or get out of LTIR (where more than half the league is right now). 

If we are looking for creative ways to tank ... we could send Caufield, Slafkovsky, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj to Laval, and bring up five AHL players in trade.

And, no, I'm not actually suggesting that we do that ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

So who are you trading and, more importantly, which team that has enough cap space to make a move is taking on whichever contract you want to move?  The trade market is going to be dead for at least the next three months as teams desperately try to accrue some cap space and/or get out of LTIR (where more than half the league is right now). 

For trades, I would start shopping Monahan more aggressively and see how much I may get for Edmundson. I would trade them as early as December to "win-now" teams struggling to make the playoffs.

Also, I would showcase the pending UFAs

1. Move Dach to center a line with Monahan on LW and Hoffman on RW

2. Move Dadonov to the first line

3. Keep Slafkovsky on the 4th line and play Pezzetta with him and Evans

4. Send Harris to Laval

Caufield-Suzuki-Dadonov

Monahan-Dach-Hoffman

Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher

Pezzetta-Evans-Slafkovsky

Matheson-Edmundson

Guhle-Savard

Xhekaj-Wideman

You take one reliable D out of the backend, you put Dach on a role where he will score less, you keep Anderson on a checking line where he will score less.

This will make them perform less well, but develop Dach at center and Slafkovsky at the NHL level in a limited role

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

For trades, I would start shopping Monahan more aggressively and see how much I may get for Edmundson. I would trade them as early as December to "win-now" teams struggling to make the playoffs.

Also, I would showcase the pending UFAs

1. Move Dach to center a line with Monahan on LW and Hoffman on RW

2. Move Dadonov to the first line

3. Keep Slafkovsky on the 4th line and play Pezzetta with him and Evans

4. Send Harris to Laval

Caufield-Suzuki-Dadonov

Monahan-Dach-Hoffman

Anderson-Dvorak-Gallagher

Pezzetta-Evans-Slafkovsky

Matheson-Edmundson

Guhle-Savard

Xhekaj-Wideman

You take one reliable D out of the backend, you put Dach on a role where he will score less, you keep Anderson on a checking line where he will score less.

This will make them perform less well, but develop Dach at center and Slafkovsky at the NHL level in a limited role

If you're trying to ice the worst lineup, then why keep Guhle, Caufield, etc at all in the NHL? Send them all down and bring up some plugs. I jest, of course, but it seems you've turned the corner from Bergevin/Ducharme cheerleader to troll levels of tanking.

My son likes the Mighty Ducks Gamechanges series on Disney. Maybe we should follow suit of one of the teams on that show, and make everyone play with their off hand, too.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, huzer said:

If you're trying to ice the worst lineup, then why keep Guhle, Caufield, etc at all in the NHL? Send them all down and bring up some plugs. I jest, of course, but it seems you've turned the corner from Bergevin/Ducharme cheerleader to troll levels of tanking.

My son likes the Mighty Ducks Gamechanges series on Disney. Maybe we should follow suit of one of the teams on that show, and make everyone play with their off hand, too.

apathy would be a worse response

I said I would suggest a few tweaks to loose more often. I do not think I am proposing anything that is impossible

As for the cheerleader comment, I dislike people being called scum, garbage, and any other adjectives that were used at the time. For arguments sake, I took the opposite view and defend it to bring some balance to the forum

Who hasn’t done that at some point when sharing drinks with a friend?

Ate you having a bad day, @huzer?

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

apathy would be a worse response

I said I would suggest a few tweaks to loose more often. I do not think I am proposing anything that is impossible

As for the cheerleader comment, I dislike people being called scum, garbage, and any other adjectives that were used at the time. For arguments sake, I took the opposite view and defend it to bring some balance to the forum

Who hasn’t done that at some point when sharing drinks with a friend?

Ate you having a bad day, @huzer?

No, not particularly.

It's ok, you take the forum contrarian view for the sake of discussion, it appears. Keep on keeping' on. But if you're going to suggest tanking (which "perform less well" comes to mean), at least go full in, as @tomh009 presented.

16 minutes ago, huzer said:

No, not particularly.

It's ok, you take the forum contrarian view for the sake of discussion, it appears. Keep on keeping' on. But if you're going to suggest tanking (which "perform less well" comes to mean), at least go full in, as @tomh009 presented.

I hate seeing the HAbs loose. But the whole point for firing MB and TT to rebuild, and option those two never had, is to.... well, rebuild.

If we end-up with another bubble team, I will be qissed.

• Like 1

Coaches DONT tank.  It doesn't happen.  St. Louis job and future jobs are judged by his performance with the team.  For that reason the idea of "tanking" by icing less than the optimal lines is not going to happen.

Tanking happens at one level and one level only, the GM and above.  You have to trade away the good players, you aren't going to tank, by removing a player from the first line and putting him on the third. 

49 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Well, Hugo could also send waiver-eligible players to Laval if they really wanted to tank.

But, yes, this is a GM decision, not coach.

Yes but those players are contributing at the NHL level.  A guy like Caufield should be in the NHL cause sending him to the AHL both would hurt his development right now and would also sour the relationship with him as we are negotiating his contract extension.  Its a non-starter. 

The goal is to get Bedard (or other top 10 pick) to make him part of a team, not to crush all the other young talent on the team and then have nothing for him to play with. 

On 11/16/2022 at 10:35 AM, huzer said:

How great was the Bash Brothers cameo? And how disappointing was it that Charlie Conway wasn't the secret contact inside the Ducks front office?

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If HuGo really wanted to "tank" I have no doubt they could get some 1st round picks for Caulfield, Suzuki, Slaf and Guhle? 

image.png

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

Yes. It would be absurd to trade those guys, being a little sarcastic again, can't help myself sometimes.  But if you really want to tank hard as the title of this forum suggests then drastic measures may have to be taken?

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes. It would be absurd to trade those guys, being a little sarcastic again, can't help myself sometimes.  But if you really want to tank hard as the title of this forum suggests then drastic measures may have to be taken?

I suspect that HuGo's plan was less a traditional tank and more to organically allow the various holes in the roster to guide the team to near the bottom of the league (4-10) ... and it may yet happen ... things have gone well so far but tonight so far may be an example of what happens when the breaks that have favoured the Habs thus far even out.

Any "nudging towards tanking" would have been (will be?) to deal one or more useful veterans like Anderson, Dvorak, Edmundson or Savard, Allen or Montembeault, and maybe Monahan for firsts and/or NHL-ready prospects and/or NHL youngsters with upside ... don't expect it to happen. other than Monahan at the deadline (although I wouldn't be upset to dispose of Edmundson's bad back), but only time will tell..

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I suspect that HuGo's plan was less a traditional tank and more to organically allow the various holes in the roster to guide the team to near the bottom of the league (4-10) ... and it may yet happen ... things have gone well so far but tonight so far may be an example of what happens when the breaks that have favoured the Habs thus far even out.

Any "nudging towards tanking" would have been (will be?) to deal one or more useful veterans like Anderson, Dvorak, Edmundson or Savard, Allen or Montembeault, and maybe Monahan for firsts and/or NHL-ready prospects and/or NHL youngsters with upside ... don't expect it to happen. other than Monahan at the deadline (although I wouldn't be upset to dispose of Edmundson's bad back), but only time will tell..

Agreed, I expect the same as last year, accumulate more picks/prospects at the trade deadline for any veterans that have value.  Not a "tank" but a rebuild. 

This thread is stupid.

There is obviously no tank in this team.

No professional athlete, coach is going to play that way.

Management has shown they are building this team, not tearing it apart for scrap.  

There has never been any evidence to support that this team is tanking, the idea is ridiculous and lacks class that a franchise like the Habs has earned with success and history.

Hate to even comment on this thread and keep it alive but it pisses me off.  There has been no evidence to support this asinine theory nor any evidence that tanking helps you win a cup. 

If any of my friends embraced this theory they’d no longer be watching games with me.

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, I expect the same as last year, accumulate more picks/prospects at the trade deadline for any veterans that have value.  Not a "tank" but a rebuild. 

Bit of semantics, but still think season will play out as expected pre-season.

Bit more offense, but keeping puck out of net is gonna sink em.

But, most games so far have been very entertaining, so all seems fine so far.

I can rename the thread, any suggestions?

… but on the thread will remain, as long as this guy is not yet drafted and the Habs still have a chance on the lottery;

15 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I can rename the thread, any suggestions?

How about Dreaming of Bedard ... or ... For the Honour of Connor