Tank Hard for Bedard (as heard on TSN690)

alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I can rename the thread, any suggestions?

… but on the thread will remain, as long as this guy is not yet drafted and the Habs still have a chance on the lottery;

As I have stated many times before, the word "tank" is misused all the time on these boards. Montreal didn't "tank" last year, they were just  a bad team. They are not "tanking" this year.  

35 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

As I have stated many times before, the word "tank" is misused all the time on these boards. Montreal didn't "tank" last year, they were just  a bad team. They are not "tanking" this year.  

I know that for last season and this season

I created the thread after I heard the TSN 690 morning duo talk about it on the radio 

I thought it would be a topic worthwhile for the forum.

I didn’t expect the hate, but that’s what happens when you are “Living la vida” like a true root vegetable :spamafote:

Edited by alfredoh2009

58 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I know that for last season and this season

I created the thread after I heard the TSN 690 morning duo talk about it on the radio 

I thought it would be a topic worthwhile for the forum.

I didn’t expect the hate, but that’s what happens when you are “Living la vida” like a true root vegetable :spamafote:

It's not hate . Just differing opinions. I think it's certainly good to discuss where the Habs might end up, who will be traded at the deadline and who they might draft.  It might be a little early for a 2023 draft thread. 

There is no hate coming from me, only peace.  Cheers.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's not hate . Just differing opinions. I think it's certainly good to discuss where the Habs might end up, who will be traded at the deadline and who they might draft.  It might be a little early for a 2023 draft thread. 

There is no hate coming from me, only peace.  Cheers.

cheers

On 11/5/2022 at 1:53 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

Great list!

My take-away is that I want the Habs to build a strong core of elite players like TBL and PIT and to a lesser degree CHI in their hey-day (let's avoid the contracts and A-h*le culture)

[...]

Of the more recent teams that were in the finals, TBL and PIT had solid to-draft cores

Great article: https://theathletic.com/3654328/2022/10/06/nhl-centers-rankings-mcdavid-draisaitl/

I was looking at teams that may need Monahan, couldn't find a team that would take his salary now. Maybe Detroit?

List sorted in article as follows:

EDM    McDavid, Draisaitl
TOR    Matthews, Tavares
PIT    Crosby, Malkin
CGY    Lindholm, Kadri
COL    MacKinnon, Newhook
FLA    Barkov, Bennett
BOS    Bergeron, Krejci
VAN    Miller, Pettersson
NYR    Zibanejad, Trocheck
STL    Thomas, O'Reilly
TBL    Point, Cirelli
DAL    Hintz, Seguin
NJD    Hughes, Hischier
SJS    Hertl, Couture
MIN    Hartman, Eriksson-Ek
ANA    Zegras, Strome
NSH    Duchene, Johansen
CAR    Aho, Kotkaniemi
WPG    Scheifele, Dubois
OTT    Norris, Stützle
NYI    Barzal, Nelson
VGK    Eichel, Stephenson
WSH    Kuznetsov, Strome
LAK    Kopitar, Danault
SEA    Beniers, Gourde
PHI    Couturier, Hayes
DET    Larkin, Copp
CHI    Toews, Domi
BUF    Thompson, Mittelstadt
MTL    Suzuki, Dvorak
CBJ    Jenner, Roslovic
ARZ    Boyd, Hayton

34 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Great article: https://theathletic.com/3654328/2022/10/06/nhl-centers-rankings-mcdavid-draisaitl/

I was looking at teams that may need Monahan, couldn't find a team that would take his salary now. Maybe Detroit?

List sorted in article as follows:

I think Monahan will be a trade deadline deal with the Habs retaining 50%, much easier for teams to fit in then.  

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I suspect that story was written before the season started.

By Harman Dayal

Oct 6, 2022

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I suspect that story was written before the season started.

By Harman Dayal Oct 6, 2022

yes, but poped up on my timeline last week for some reason ?! I didn't check:
   Good catch!

The are sorted by "Duos' Projected GSVA" (WAR) stats, I'll update the numbers and post the results once I have a chance

Edited by alfredoh2009

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

By Harman Dayal Oct 6, 2022

yes, but poped up on my timeline last week for some reason ?! I didn't check:
   Good catch!

The are sorted by "Duos' Projected GSVA" (WAR) stats, I'll update the numbers and post the results once I have a chance

Here it is using WAR, I have not looked at CAP or injury situation, but from what these teams in bold were projecting at the beginning of the year, to now: they may benefit from adding Monahan

TBL    Point, Stamkos    2.8
VGK    Eichel, Karlsson    2.4
NJD    Hughes, Hischier    2.2
VAN    Horvat, Pettersson    2.1
EDM    McDavid, Draisaitl    1.9
DAL    Hintz, Seguin    1.7
COL    MacKinnon, Rodrigues    1.4
TOR    Matthews, Tavares    1.2
PIT    Crosby, Malkin    1.1
OTT    Pinto, Stützle    0.9
LAK    Kopitar, Danault    0.9
NYI    Barzal, Nelson    0.9
MTL    Suzuki, Dvorak    0.8
WPG    Scheifele, Dubois    0.8
BOS    Bergeron, Krejci    0.8
SJS    Hertl, Couture    0.6
DET    Larkin, Copp    0.6
MIN    Steel, Eriksson-Ek    0.5

SEA    Beniers, Wennberg    0.5
CGY    Lindholm, Kadri    0.4
BUF    Thompson, Cozens    0.4
CAR    Aho, Kotkaniemi    0.4
CBJ    Jenner, Sillinger    0.3
ANA    Zegras, Strome    0.3
FLA    Barkov, Bennett    0.3
NYR    Zibanejad, Trocheck    0.2
PHI    Frost, Hayes    0.2
NSH    Duchene, Parssinen    0.1
ARZ    Boyd, Bjugstad    0.1
STL    Thomas, O'Reilly    0
WSH    Kuznetsov, Strome    0
CHI    Toews, Domi    -0.3

• 1 month later...

Habs not in the running;

https://theathletic.com/4023286/2022/12/22/nhl-tanking-connor-bedard/

"With the league’s holiday break starting Saturday, this feels like the ideal time to take a closer look at the teams that have a realistic shot at increasing their odds for Bedard and company. Right now, it appears to be a six-team race, between the Blackhawks, Ducks, Blue Jackets, Sharks, Coyotes and Flyers.

Can those teams pull off a tank? Do they want to? How will the trade deadline play into who goes in which direction? Who needs Bedard the most?"

When Matheson and Edmundson were out to start the season, I was quite concerned about how the team would perform. It turned out there wasn't much change in team performance with them in or out of the line up. The team does not seem to have much compete with Monahan out. It could just be me, but it looks that way. So if the likelihood of dropping low enough to pick #1 is low, should you maybe look at signing him?

On 12/26/2022 at 2:38 PM, tomh009 said:

Yeah, at this point I think the Habs most likely end up in the 7th-9th (from bottom) range, unless they have a prolonged slump or a massive fire sale at deadline.

Or both

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

When Matheson and Edmundson were out to start the season, I was quite concerned about how the team would perform. It turned out there wasn't much change in team performance with them in or out of the line up. The team does not seem to have much compete with Monahan out. It could just be me, but it looks that way. So if the likelihood of dropping low enough to pick #1 is low, should you maybe look at signing him?

I really like Dach, but despite being strong on the puck and pretty talented, his production has plummeted since he was moved to C, and his FO% is terrible. The emerging evidence is that he really is better suited to W. In fact, I would rather put him back on the #1 line and shove some placeholder as 4th-line C, rather than allow Dach to revert back to the 30-point form he showed on Chicago. One can ask whether this current stretch of floundering is going to corrode the confidence he built up over the previous two months.

Dach’s struggles at C mean that the rebuild has a significant hole in it, beyond G: we will need a 2nd-line C. 

So, to your point: I can see signing Monahan as a patch-up solution for 3-4 years while we cast around for that C. On the other hand, it shouldn’t be *that* hard to find a 2nd-line C via free agency over the next couple of seasons. I can imagine a future in which we fill that particular hole that way (unless one of our prospects convincingly projects to be an effective 2nd-line C within 3-4 years). Usually a club has to fill a hole or two via free agency, no matter how good their system is. Maybe this is that hole in our case.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I really like Dach, but despite being strong on the puck and pretty talented, his production has plummeted since he was moved to C, and his FO% is terrible. The emerging evidence is that he really is better suited to W. In fact, I would rather put him back on the #1 line and shove some placeholder as 4th-line C, rather than allow Dach to revert back to the 30-point form he showed on Chicago. One can ask whether this current stretch of floundering is going to corrode the confidence he built up over the previous two months.

Dach’s struggles at C mean that the rebuild has a significant hole in it, beyond G: we will need a 2nd-line C. 

So, to your point: I can see signing Monahan as a patch-up solution for 3-4 years while we cast around for that C. On the other hand, it shouldn’t be *that* hard to find a 2nd-line C via free agency over the next couple of seasons. I can imagine a future in which we fill that particular hole that way (unless one of our prospects convincingly projects to be an effective 2nd-line C within 3-4 years). Usually a club has to fill a hole or two via free agency, no matter how good their system is. Maybe this is that hole in our case.

HuGo's plans for Dvorak will have an impact, as will the 2023 draft ... if they are lucky and get one of the top 2023 centre prospects then whether Monahan is worth 3-4 years will depend in part of whether Dvorak is around and on the Habs projected ETA for their 2023 draftee ... and then of course this is the question of whether there is the proverbial "one GM" who wants Monahan so badly that they will overpay in AAV and/or term.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I really like Dach, but despite being strong on the puck and pretty talented, his production has plummeted since he was moved to C, and his FO% is terrible.

His production has been plummeting for quite a while now.  He has one goal in his last 21 games and most of those were still on the wing.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

His production has been plummeting for quite a while now.  He has one goal in his last 21 games and most of those were still on the wing.

Eep

1 hour ago, DON said:

I bet the advanced stat guys are saying..."I told you Habs were very bad and just temporarily overachieving".

Well - they’re not wrong