Tank Hard for Bedard (as heard on TSN690)

alfredoh2009

45 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Did the NHL make further changes?

When announcing the 2022 draft lottery odds the NHL referenced their 2021 lottery rules changes announcement, in which they said "The reduction to two drawings ensures that the team that finishes last in the NHL standings would pick no lower than No. 3." 

I'll let Gary Bettman explain the changes:

Make sure you hang around until the 4:15 mark as it gets to what happens if a team from 12-16 wins.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'll let Gary Bettman explain the changes:

Make sure you hang around until the 4:15 mark as it gets to what happens if a team from 12-16 wins.

So ... a change from 2021.

9 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

YES!!  Rangers win. Too bad the Islanders lost, now need the Penguins to win. 

Is that really a bad outcome?  That puts Buffalo within three points of Florida.  Buffalo catching them would knock them down a peg in the standings which would move up the pick by one slot.  An overtime game would have been better but Buffalo winning isn't the worst thing.

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Is that really a bad outcome?  That puts Buffalo within three points of Florida.  Buffalo catching them would knock them down a peg in the standings which would move up the pick by one slot.  An overtime game would have been better but Buffalo winning isn't the worst thing.

I see your point but Florida not making the playoffs is the most important thing and the Islanders and Pittsburgh staying ahead of them guarantees that.  An Islander win in OT would have been the perfect scenario. Buffalo has been so inconsistent that I just don't see them passing Florida but you never know. 

37 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I see your point but Florida not making the playoffs is the most important thing and the Islanders and Pittsburgh staying ahead of them guarantees that.  An Islander win in OT would have been the perfect scenario. Buffalo has been so inconsistent that I just don't see them passing Florida but you never know. 

All we need are Florida losses. The rest will figure itself out. 

This time of the year is exciting watching a handful of teams fighting for the wildcard 

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

All we need are Florida losses. The rest will figure itself out. 

This time of the year is exciting watching a handful of teams fighting for the wildcard 

I think we would all agree 100% that Florida losses are good.  If Florida misses the playoffs then we get another lottery pick and who knows how that might go. 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, DON said:

44.2% chance picking 6th eh, i had assumed picking 5th (24.5%) would of been best odds.

I am absolutely horrible at math, but the way the lottery system distributes the odds seems bizarre to me. It seems as though there should be a cluster distribution based on where you are in the standings: if you’re 5th last, then you should have the highest odds of drafting 5th, with odds progressively diminishing on either side of that number. However, as a certifiable math ignoramus I can only assume that there are compelling, logical reasons why this is not the case.

20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I am absolutely horrible at math, but the way the lottery system distributes the odds seems bizarre to me. It seems as though there should be a cluster distribution based on where you are in the standings: if you’re 5th last, then you should have the highest odds of drafting 5th, with odds progressively diminishing on either side of that number. However, as a certifiable math ignoramus I can only assume that there are compelling, logical reasons why this is not the case.

if someone below you wins... you get bumped down.... when you add up all the chances that someone below you wins one of the top 2 picks, its greater than the chances that both of those picks go to top 4 teams. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

68% of picking 5 or 6,

100% chances of picking top 7

that is pretty good!

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

if someone below you wins... you get bumped down.... when you add up all the chances that someone below you wins one of the top 2 picks, its greater than the chances that both of those picks go to top 4 teams. 

Commandant, who would you like the Habs to target in the 5-7 spot since that seems the most likely spot for them to draft?  Thanks 

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Commandant, who would you like the Habs to target in the 5-7 spot since that seems the most likely spot for them to draft?  Thanks 

I like Will Smith in that range. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I like Will Smith in that range. 

Thanks, a lot of mock drafts have him at #5, seems like a really talented player. Would you trade the #5 pick and Florida's pick to move up to get Fantilli or Carlsson?  Would that be enough to move up?  

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Thanks, a lot of mock drafts have him at #5, seems like a really talented player. Would you trade the #5 pick and Florida's pick to move up to get Fantilli or Carlsson?  Would that be enough to move up?  

I don't think it would be enough to move up... for Fantilli I would, for Carlsson no. 

I would also take Michkov at 5 if he was there. 

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Bedard 8 points in 2 playoff games, not bad.

Kid may just have a future.

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yeah, he just might make it with the proper development. 

Finish junior and then a year in the AHL.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Finland does have good junior leagues. 

I actually did make a typo and have "Finnish" as I composed the post ... you are psychic.

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

They do and I don't want the Habs to rush him. 

Are you talking Bedard? What number is he taking with the Habs, i assume #98 is still available or will be if needed.

image.jpeg