Sean Monahan to Habs

hab29RETIRED

Can’t find any info on what else we get - they are doing cartwheels in Calgary though. From what I read he won’t be on LTIR for the whole year.

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-trade-sean-monahan-montreal-canadiens-1.1838109

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-trade-sean-monahan-to-canadiens-sign-kadri/

16 minutes ago, mineral said:

TSN Link: https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-trade-sean-monahan-montreal-canadiens-1.1838109

Ok, so he's going on LTIR, but... the cap implications here. Why would we take this on? Doubts about Dach or insurance plan if he doesn't pan out. Seems like a lot of NHL-ready C on the roster.

The rumor mill has alot of buzz about Dvorak being traded. 

12 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

The rumor mill has alot of buzz about Dvorak being traded. 

Honestly, my first thought (regardless of position) was Gallagher on the move.  Seems like we're taking a lot of risk for upside on the trades in this slot. But the 2023 draft probably makes it worth it.

Monahan recently had his second hip surgery. He's not been good recently due to all the injuries. He's not the same player he was. He has one year left on his deal (and likely starts the year on LTIR) at 6.8 million.

I fully expect the Habs to be adding a first rounder or a significant prospect in this deal. Calgary has to pay to have the Habs add this.

Remembering that when a player comes off LTIR their full-AAV has to fit under the cap ... so unless the medical assessment is that Monahan will be out all season it is best to make space for him under the cap before the season starts as it would, I expect, be very difficult/"expensive" to significant cap space in-season ... and I doubt he is expected to be on LTIR all season, otherwise Calgary could have just LTIR'd him themselves.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Remembering that when a player comes off LTIR their full-AAV has to fit under the cap ... so unless the medical assessment is that Monahan will be out all season it is best to make space for him under the cap before the season starts as it would, I expect, be very difficult/"expensive" to significant cap space in-season ... and I doubt he is expected to be on LTIR all season, otherwise Calgary could have just LTIR'd him themselves.

He's probably out til at least Christmas time.

Yes you are right that its hard to clear space in season, but at the same time the Habs will likely be moving guys like Dadonov, Drouin, and other pending UFAs for picks and prospects at some point, Price may go on LTIR at some point, other injuries could happen. So Hughes may just be saying, this trade offer is too good to pass up and I'll figure out the rest later. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

... So Hughes may just be saying, this trade offer is too good to pass up and I'll figure out the rest later. 

Hughes (or HuGo collectively) does seem willing to roll the dice ... while I agree that Dadonov and Drouin (and perhaps others) are likely to move no later than the deadline, Monohan could come off LTIR before then and a strong market may not yet have formed to get a good return.

But I think Price going on LTIR would not be unexpected ... I think there is a good chance that he either can't physically handle it as the season progresses, and/or his injury will "get worse" if he is unable to perform to a level he finds acceptable. 

• tomh009 changed the title to Sean Monahan to Habs

For what it’s worth, 2 tweets saying a 1st round pick is compensation, likely using the same source.  

It’s interesting Engels is saying this may be apart of another deal.  Anyone have any rumours on what that may or may not be?

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

For what it’s worth, 2 tweets saying a 1st round pick is compensation, likely using the same source.  

It’s interesting Engels is saying this may be apart of another deal.  Anyone have any rumours on what that may or may not be?

No rumors but I feel the Islanders might be eager to pick up a forward from us after missing on Kadri?

Another thing is we could see this pick being flipped with say Hoffmann to say Anaheim as a cap dump?

13 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

No rumors but I feel the Islanders might be eager to pick up a forward from us after missing on Kadri?

Another thing is we could see this pick being flipped with say Hoffmann to say Anaheim as a cap dump?

The Islanders are still somewhat cap restrained ... Romanov and Dobson yet to, at least officially, sign ... not certain they would be looking to add the players HuGo want to move.

I was also thinking about using the pick to move out a bad contract ... a first might just be what it takes to get rid of two years of Hoffman (sans retention) ... way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way too little to even consider being able to move Gallagher (😉).

• Upvote 2

Seems it may be the conditional (lottery protected) 2025 pick Calgary got from Florida in the Tkachuk deal.

The full draft pick scenarios if you're interested:

Here are the conditions associated with the first-round selection acquired by Montreal:

1. In the event Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice is selection 20-32 (inclusive) (following the determination of the 2024 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall have the option, exercisable until 48 hours prior to the start of the 2024 NHL draft, to exchange the conditional 2025 or 2026 first round choice to become Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice); or,

If Florida's 2025 First (1st) Round Choice Transfers to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

2. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A) If both Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice (previously acquired by Calgary) are not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall receive the earlier of the two (2) stated choices; or,
  • B) If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida's 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice).

If Florida's 2025 First Round Choice DOES NOT Transfer to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

3. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

A. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice, and additionally,

• 1) If Florida's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results); and,
  • 2) Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice has been transferred to another NHL Club; and,
  • 3) Florida's 2025 first round draft position is better than Calgary's 2025 first round draft position; then Calgary will transfer their own 2025 fourth round choice to Montreal.

B. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice, subject to the following condition below:

• 1) In the event Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice is the first (1st) selection overall in the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Calgary will retain its own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Montreal shall instead receive Calgary's own 2025 third (3rd) round choice and a conditional 2026 first (1st) round choice. Montreal shall receive the better of Calgary's 2026 first (1st) round choice or Florida's 2026 first (1st) round choice (following the determination of the 2026 NHL Draft lottery results) (previously conditionally acquired by Calgary).

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The full draft pick scenarios if you're interested:

Here are the conditions associated with the first-round selection acquired by Montreal:

1. In the event Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice is selection 20-32 (inclusive) (following the determination of the 2024 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall have the option, exercisable until 48 hours prior to the start of the 2024 NHL draft, to exchange the conditional 2025 or 2026 first round choice to become Calgary's own 2024 first (1st) round choice); or,

If Florida's 2025 First (1st) Round Choice Transfers to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

2. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

• A) If both Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice (previously acquired by Calgary) are not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), then Montreal shall receive the earlier of the two (2) stated choices; or,
  • B) If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection and Florida's 2025 first round selection (previously acquired by Calgary) is outside of the top-10 selections (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice).

If Florida's 2025 First Round Choice DOES NOT Transfer to Calgary (pursuant to the conditions on an earlier trade)

3. In the event the conditions to trigger Montreal's option as noted in #1 above does not occur, or Montreal declines to exercise this option, the following conditions shall prevail:

A. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice, and additionally,

• 1) If Florida's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is not in the top-10 selections of the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results); and,
  • 2) Florida's 2025 first (1st) round choice has been transferred to another NHL Club; and,
  • 3) Florida's 2025 first round draft position is better than Calgary's 2025 first round draft position; then Calgary will transfer their own 2025 fourth round choice to Montreal.

B. If Calgary's own 2025 first (1st) round choice is a top-10 selection (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Montreal shall receive Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice, subject to the following condition below:

• 1) In the event Calgary's 2025 first (1st) round choice is the first (1st) selection overall in the 2025 NHL Draft (following the determination of the 2025 NHL Draft lottery results), Calgary will retain its own 2025 first (1st) round choice and Montreal shall instead receive Calgary's own 2025 third (3rd) round choice and a conditional 2026 first (1st) round choice. Montreal shall receive the better of Calgary's 2026 first (1st) round choice or Florida's 2026 first (1st) round choice (following the determination of the 2026 NHL Draft lottery results) (previously conditionally acquired by Calgary).

Woah that’s a ton of conditions. No wonder it took so long. 

I’d prefer to use it to draft in 2023 rather than 2024 (at the earliest if MTL is able to opt for it)

It may be unfair, but I just don't see Bergevin as having been able to construct such a complex trade (or perhaps not having any interest in doing so) ... HuGo built in options about which pick to claim and in which draft, to optimize the return ... 2023 would have been ideal but since it cost the habs nothing but cap space, or the need to create it (other than HI Goa beer, buying Treliving) that would have been too much to hope for.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

It may be unfair, but I just don't see Bergevin as having been able to construct such a complex trade (or perhaps not having any interest in doing so) ... HuGo built in options about which pick to claim and in which draft, to optimize the return ... 2023 would have been ideal but since it cost the habs nothing but cap space, or the need to create it (other than HI Goa beer, buying Treliving) that would have been too much to hope for.

Condition number two I believe is an exact copy of the conditions in the Dvorak to Montreal trade.

• Upvote 1