Sean Monahan to Habs

hab29RETIRED

7 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Condition number two I believe is an exact copy of the conditions in the Dvorak to Montreal trade.

IMO ... one branch compared to a tree.

48 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So, it appears that there will be no need to move contracts at this point.

Oh my goodness, that is terrible news. And from the sound of it, likely the end of Price’s career.

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Oh my goodness, that is terrible news. And from the sound of it, likely the end of Price’s career.

From the perspective of Price, his family and his fans absolutely ... but if it is the end of his career there may finally be some certainty that will allow the Habs to plan its future in goal and manage its long-term cap.

2 hours ago, Plutarch said:

No rumors but I feel the Islanders might be eager to pick up a forward from us after missing on Kadri?

Another thing is we could see this pick being flipped with say Hoffmann to say Anaheim as a cap dump?

No rumor attatched to this, only my own belief. 

Islanders were rumored to announce the Kadri signing any day for almost a week now.  Now that Kadri is off the table, I believe they will target Kessle.  He's rumored to expect $1m-$2m AAV, my assumption would be a 1-year contract.  I would assume Islanders will make a play for Kessel.

15 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

From the perspective of Price, his family and his fans absolutely ... but if it is the end of his career there may finally be some certainty that will allow the Habs to plan its future in goal and manage its long-term cap.

I agree that it’s not bad news in purely “hockey” terms from the standpoint of a rebuilding team. But Price has been a giant for us - the last great Hab, really - and to my mind, the news has to be taken on that human level first.

I guess he will go the way of Weber…”non-retired, wink wink.” What a shame.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I guess he will go the way of Weber…”non-retired, wink wink.” What a shame.

Unless he is a VERY unique individual that will likely be the result ... unfortunately (from a business perspective) the structure of his contract does not allow for the "free cap hit" that made Weber's contract potentially interesting to low budget/cap-floor teams (although he ultimately ended up with a high budget team in Vegas) ... these last four years of his contract ($10.5M AAV per season) will still cost $31.25M in real salary/money, unless the contract is heavily insured (but that strikes me as unlikely). 

1) If Price is done, then we may not have another goalie of similar calibre for 20 years. Just wanted to say that while others casually scroll over the reality of his career being over.

2) I am fine with the Monahan move. It’s a good one to me. 

2 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

1) If Price is done, then we may not have another goalie of similar calibre for 20 years. Just wanted to say that while others casually scroll over the reality of his career being over.

it’s a brilliant move IMO because not only do we get a first but we can flip Monahan at the deadline and if he scores plenty of goals we may get another first out of him 👍

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Agree on both points.

On (1), the Habs are weird…they have this long history of finding goaltending when they need it. Sometimes that takes the form of a Steve Penney or Jaro Halak, a guy nobody sees coming who has a magical run. Sometimes it’s a Denis Herron or Jose Theodore who has 3-4 stellar years. And sometimes it takes the form of a generational goalie like Plante, Dryden, Roy, or Price. But we always seem to find le gardien somehow. That said, Price will be very hard to replace. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Islanders were rumored to announce the Kadri signing any day for almost a week now.  Now that Kadri is off the table, I believe they will target Kessle.  He's rumored to expect $1m-$2m AAV, my assumption would be a 1-year contract.  I would assume Islanders will make a play for Kessel.

I'm thinking that Gorton will call his old 1st over all pick and get Hughes to sign Kessel.  Then Hughes will flip MonaHabs in a sign a trade deal with NYI for Romy, a 1st (or Beauvillier), and possibly 1 of their goalies.  Theres been numerous rumours of NYI wanting to move him and the Habs being interested in him. 

4 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm thinking that Gorton will call his old 1st over all pick and get Hughes to sign Kessel.  Then Hughes will flip MonaHabs in a sign a trade deal with NYI for Romy, a 1st (or Beauvillier), and possibly 1 of their goalies.  Theres been numerous rumours of NYI wanting to move him and the Habs being interested in him. 

Huh? By Romy do you mean Romanov? I’m very confused on what you mean, because the way I’m reading it seems insanely unlikely 

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Huh? By Romy do you mean Romanov? I’m very confused on what you mean, because the way I’m reading it seems insanely unlikely 

I think it would be hilariously fitting.  i.e. the Habs havent signed Dach, no cap space, and the NYI have yet to sign Romanov for the same reason.  

If Habs take Beauvillier the NYI could afford Monahan.  With Price being in LTIR the Habs would have cap room for Beauvillier's 4+ mil and be able to sign Dach and Romy.  The Habs might have to toss in Monty to get 1 of their G's though. 

22 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The first I’ve seen of Beauviller was today.  Wasn’t that all predicated on Kadri?

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

The first I’ve seen of Beauviller was today.  Wasn’t that all predicated on Kadri?

I've seen Beauvillier rumours before the talk that they were interested in Kadri. i.e. afaik, the NYI would need to move him to be able to sign Romanov, or anyone.  

Thats also why it would be so funny if the Habs manage pulling off getting Romy back.  i.e. the NYI were close to signing Kadri but didnt have cap space to do it and were unable to move anyone.  Then, the Habs took Monahan making it possible for the Flames to sign Kadri out from under the NYI. 

What do the NYI need more?  a C, or a Dman?  With Price out the Habs now need another goalie, and the NYI have 3.  I could see a trade with NYI coming. 

Just bits on trade details and Price

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/08/breaking-down-the-sean-monahan-trade-conditions.html

"2024 Calgary first-round pick
2025 Calgary first-round pick + potential 2025 Calgary fourth-round pick
2025 Florida first-round pick
2026 Calgary first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick
2026 Florida first-round pick + 2025 Calgary third-round pick"

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/08/carey-price-wont-be-ready-to-play-at-the-start-of-the-season/

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree on both points.

On (1), the Habs are weird…they have this long history of finding goaltending when they need it. Sometimes that takes the form of a Steve Penney or Jaro Halak, a guy nobody sees coming who has a magical run. Sometimes it’s a Denis Herron or Jose Theodore who has 3-4 stellar years. And sometimes it takes the form of a generational goalie like Plante, Dryden, Roy, or Price. But we always seem to find le gardien somehow. That said, Price will be very hard to replace. 

Let's not forget that Primeau progressed nicely in Laval last year. One more year(or maybe a half season) in Laval and he might be ready for the big show!

36 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

HuGo now has the following centres:

Suzuki

Dvorak 

Monahan

Dach

Evans

Are we starting the season with 5 centres? Sure we can move centres to the wing but we have lots of wingers too. 

Surely there is more coming

Commandant pointed out that Monahan is expected to be out until about Christmas.  So the Habs are starting the season with 4 centers, with no need to address this issue until December.

11 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

Let's not forget that Primeau progressed nicely in Laval last year. One more year(or maybe a half season) in Laval and he might be ready for the big show!

He didn't impress when he was with the Habs, though, so I am less optimistic of him being ready for the NHL anytime soon.