Sean Monahan to Habs

hab29RETIRED

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He is very clearly part of Gorton’s Rangers posse. Presumably he had something to do with Shesterkein’s development. If so, that would be a big check mark on his c.v. 

Probably not.  Most of Shesterkin's development came in the KHL.  Maybe the two crossed paths at a development camp (if Shesterkin came for those) but otherwise, I can't see Raymond having had much, if any, influence on Shesterkin.

We are in Monahan’s thread, so here is an up-vote for the Hockey fairy to be good to the Habs 

my comment on the goalie coach is about the Habs not having elite goaltending talent and outing the onus on the fairly young coach to develop one of Primeau or Montembeault into a solid starter. 
he may be a great coach and could make a difference, but the level of talent should temper expectations (blood from a stone)

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:23 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree, from what I’ve seen, Primeau and Montembeault have similar potential at the NHL level. With no proven goaltender development expertise among the staff, it doesn’t seem to be an area of concern for Hugh-Gort at this moment 

Is everything a criticism of hugo? Its either tank posts or critique posts since they got hired.

I liked your posts before but this trolling persona has me seriously considering the ignore list.

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Is everything a criticism of hugo? Its either tank posts or critique posts since they got hired.

I liked your posts before but this trolling persona has me seriously considering the ignore list.

I am not criticizing them, I am just saying the the goalie coach will have a hard time turning Primeau and Montembeault into legitimate NHL starters. Those were MB's draft/trade

and, yes I mention the tank because it is the logical thing to do.

I am probably already on most people's ignore list anyways. I hardly post anymore

27 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am not criticizing them, I am just saying the the goalie coach will have a hard time turning Primeau and Montembeault into legitimate NHL starters. Those were MB's draft/trade

and, yes I mention the tank because it is the logical thing to do.

I am probably already on most people's ignore list anyways. I hardly post anymore

I expect that the trigger was "it doesn’t seem to be an area of concern for Hugh-Gort at this moment" ... somewhat out of left field.

27 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect that the trigger was "it doesn’t seem to be an area of concern for Hugh-Gort at this moment" ... somewhat out of left field.

Dammed be the day I made that joke to start the "Fire the new guys" referencing someone else doing that (I think) when Julien was hired.

Then I lost a bet and had to suffer through the KK avatar thing

===

Here it is:

Monahan = great signing

E. Raymond = great coach

Go Habs Go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Primeau picked in mid-seventh round so not much was risked to get him. If you get an NHL backup goalie in the seventh round that's still a win. And Montembeault was picked up from waivers for nothing, also to serve as a backup. I don't think many people are expecting them to turn into NHL starters at this point, regardless of the coaching they get.

However, we do have some goalie prospects in the pipeline (Vrbetic, Dobes, Dichow Croteau) and that's where I really think their goalie development focus needs to be. If we're going to have a playoff-bound team a year from now, we'll likely need to sign a UFA goalie -- or trade for someone -- until one of our prospects is ready.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Dammed be the day I made that joke to start the "Fire the new guys" referencing someone else doing that (I think) when Julien was hired.

Then I lost a bet and had to suffer through the KK avatar thing

===

Here it is:

Monahan = great signing

E. Raymond = great coach

Go Habs Go!

The difference is one post vs what has been a months long campaign.

Tanking is never the logical thing to do pre-season.

Of course we already have posters who are predicting our demise pre-season but even they cannot agree where the Habs will finish. We have the same bunch who are claiming the Habs will finish bottom 3 and the same people predicting a bottom 5-10 position; the same prediction they make on a yearly basis.

There have already been many season where the Habs outperform these expectations. Heck even the season the Habs made the final there were those same comments as far as rounds 1 & 2.

I dislike our defense and even more-so our goaltending, but I do not think that tanking is the logical thing to do. It never is, until at least the new year. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Tanking is never the logical thing to do pre-season.

Of course we already have posters who are predicting our demise pre-season but even they cannot agree where the Habs will finish. We have the same bunch who are claiming the Habs will finish bottom 3 and the same people predicting a bottom 5-10 position; the same prediction they make on a yearly basis.

There have already been many season where the Habs outperform these expectations. Heck even the season the Habs made the final there were those same comments as far as rounds 1 & 2.

I dislike our defense and even more-so our goaltending, but I do not think that tanking is the logical thing to do. It never is, until at least the new year. 

Tanking would involve moving out players expressly to make the team worse ... any further player movement will be for the purpose of reducing the cap hell that HuGo inherited ... it may have the effect of removing talent but Armia and/or Hoffman are the most likely to be moved and neither is a linchpin to success ... the roster as constructed is unlikely to make the playoffs ... I doubt that HuGo make an effort to improve the team's overall performance (although I would expect a veteran defenceman with more experience than talent to be added to insulate the youngsters), but IMO that is not the same as expressly "tanking".

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Tanking would involve moving out players expressly to make the team worse ... any further player movement will be for the purpose of reducing the cap hell that HuGo inherited ... it may have the effect of removing talent but Armia and/or Hoffman are the most likely to be moved and neither is a linchpin to success ... the roster as constructed is unlikely to make the playoffs ... I doubt that HuGo make an effort to improve the team's overall performance (although I would expect a veteran defenceman with more experience than talent to be added to insulate the youngsters), but IMO that is not the same as expressly "tanking".

Agree, and I also agree with xXx’s post above. 

I don’t think HughGort are actively “tanking.” They are not, however, at all trying to win a lot of games this season; their priority is, as you say, offloading bad contracts and piling up young assets. In short, the goal is asset management right now, not winning hockey games.  But if somehow the team surpasses expectations in the first few months, I don’t think they’re going to panic and launch a fire sale because they have to “tank.” I suspect that, under those circumstances, they’ll continue to pursue their course, looking to maximize return for bad contracts (unless Molson, drunk on the thought of playoff revenues, interferes).

That being said, I really have trouble seeing a team with this crap G and D surpassing expectations. I’m not sure we’ve seen a team this weak on the bottom end before. Even Houle at least had Jeff Hackett and then Jose Theodore back there. Unless Montembault hits another level (I like him, but unlikely) we’re going to get shellacked a lot of nights.

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

The difference is one post vs what has been a months long campaign.

let's not hijack this thread any longer with "Mr. Potato Head is rancid" 

I have not done anything close to a campaign, that infers intention and planned action.

Please, put me on ignore Commandant, is not like we chat much anyways.

Thanks to Scott Gomez, #91 is not a number with a great history with the Habs ... but maybe it is due for some counter-balancing karma. 

5 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I hope he plays well enough to give us a 1st rounder at the deadline meaning we get 2 first rounders for taking his salary for one year.

That would be awesome. More likely he will be injured again and untradeable. 

15 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I hope he plays well enough to give us a 1st rounder at the deadline meaning we get 2 first rounders for taking his salary for one year.

I'll be happy if he's worth a third, but won't be upset at more obviously. 

Been on holidays but obviously Hughes is taking no time off and is working hard. I love this trade, just think it's great asset management.  Getting a 1st round pick for cap space in a year when the Habs aren't going anywhere anyway is a great move.  Worst case scenario Monahan doesn't rebound and we just eat the contract for a year. Best case he recovers and we get a decent pick at the trade deadline. It's a win either way. 

Hughes continues to impress. 

if he scores like he eats....<<add your comment>>

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He will take a big bite out of the opposition.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 3:09 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

He scores goals for breakfast and the other teams are going to be toast. 

Too bad the clip doesn't show the rest of that sequence, when he introduces himself as Sean Monahan, but then says "I guess I'm Sean MonaHab now."  

If he plays like he eats toast I am worried.

His toast is so unevenly cooked I question his sanity.

Burnt black at one end and uncooked at the other?

Should we expect a completely inconsistent style of play as well? 

No pb on there for protein, just a bunch of deadweight carbs for breakfast? Is that what a world class organization (?) considers a healthy breakfast?

• Like 1