Habs re-sign Cayden Primeau

GHT120

Means nothing on the cap when he is in Laval ... and if he were to displace Montembeault on the roster (***NOT*** expecting it in the short-term) it actually saves $110K.

Primeau doesn’t get a thread, what a shame…

he still has one more year or waiver eligibility exempt. I'm a curious how the new Habs brass will handle his development 

Edited by alfredoh2009

24 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Primeau doesn’t get a thread, what a shame…

he still has one more year or waiver eligibility exempt. I'm a curious how the new Habs brass will handle his development 

He needs lots of games in the AHL, no different with this management. He then needs to turn those AHL starts into a very strong AHL season, better than the .909 that he has been at for the past three seasons.

Flatling progression - always a worrisome sign IMHO. (Although there are always exceptions, e.g., Guy Lafleur).

Primeau is a huge "meh" to me and I am skeptical he will ever amount to much, but let's hope he can take a step forward. We had to sign him, anyhow; it's carnage in nets even with him in the organization.

• Like 1

I was very keen on him three years ago, and .908 was good for an AHL rookie season, but the progress indeed appears to have pretty much stopped there. I think he still has NHL #2 potential but I think more than that is now rather unlikely.

I think we now have young depth talent everywhere but in net. This year draft I would draft the top goaltender prospect either with our 2nd 1st round pick or trade our 2nd round pick along with some of our other picks for a late 1st round pick and draft a goaltender. We could then have a nice young well rounded core to develop the next 3-4 years. 

32 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

I think we now have young depth talent everywhere but in net. This year draft I would draft the top goaltender prospect either with our 2nd 1st round pick or trade our 2nd round pick along with some of our other picks for a late 1st round pick and draft a goaltender. We could then have a nice young well rounded core to develop the next 3-4 years. 

But what if there isn't a goaltender near worthy of such a pick?   IMO draft plans cannot be set in concrete, especially so far in advance ... I have no issue with identifying the top goaltending prospects and pursuing them ... even giving them some slight priority ... but not "over-reaching" just to get one ... drafting multiple goalies for the next 2-3 drafts might make more sense, with a mix of NCAA-bound, CHL and European prospects to optimize development time. 

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

But what if there isn't a goaltender near worthy of such a pick?   IMO draft plans cannot be set in concrete, especially so far in advance ... I have no issue with identifying the top goaltending prospects and pursuing them ... even giving them some slight priority ... but not "over-reaching" just to get one. 

It’s got to be BPA IMHO. “Reaching” based on position gets you Kotkaniemi rather than Quinn Hughes.

• Like 1

I’ve been say this for the last couple of drafts: scoute the heck out of amateur leagues to have the best information possible on goalies.

Trade fringe players for extra 2nd and 3rd picks and draft goalies high to make sure you have a better probability of finding a great prospect 

If goaltending is voodoo , play it as such and do the crazy thing !