Nick Suzuki is the 31st Captain of the Montreal Canadiens

GHT120

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Didn’t they initially say that Mgmt picked the captains themselves?  Wasn’t it the same this time around?

I recall them saying at the time that it was a vote ... speculation, as I recall, was that it was a close vote, and management may even have overridden the players and selected Pacs ... Marinaro is (a) a buffoon and (b) a HUGE supporter of Pacs ... and ... Therrien was no fan of PK as I recall ... so not certain how much stock I put in anything they say.

Love Suzuki and excited about the player he can become, but given the recent contracts to Thomas and Kyrou, did we significantly overpay Suzuki??

I don't think so. I am very confident he will be a 70-80 point guy, play a 2 way game and be a leader.  I am very comfortable with his contract. 

On 9/12/2022 at 9:12 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’ll play Grinch and say I don’t like it.

Suzuki is still developing. We need him to find another level to his game, which I believe he will do, but being C of the Habs is a lot of added pressure. Look what it did to Patches.

I would have left Suzuki with an A and given it to Edmundson as a transitional move. Reassess when he’s gone in a couple of seasons.

100%!!  

Thats exactly what I think too.

I'm sure he will be a good Captain but I believe that the timing is a bit premature.  Also, what happens if Cole, Slaf or even Dach end up getting 20+ more pts than Suzuki?

However, it could also be a great idea if Suzuki's contract sets a precedence for highest paid player.  i.e. resign Cole and Slaf long term for less.  

20 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

100%!!  

Thats exactly what I think too.

I'm sure he will be a good Captain but I believe that the timing is a bit premature.  Also, what happens if Cole, Slaf or even Dach end up getting 20+ more pts than Suzuki?

However, it could also be a great idea if Suzuki's contract sets a precedence for highest paid player.  i.e. resign Cole and Slaf long term for less.  

If Caufield and Slafkovsky out produce Suzuki, they aren’t going to get less money just because Suzuki is the captain. Your captain doesn’t need to be the best player, and defiantly doesn’t need to be the highest paid player on the team. He needs to beat option as a leader in the team. Lafleur was never even a candidate to be a captain on the habs. Even if transparency over salary existed back than, Gainey, Savard, or Cournoyer’s salaries would not have meant Lafleur would get less money.

Suzuki may be more valued as a centre, but if Caufield or Slafkovsky score 40 goals, or have significantly higher production, they are going to get paid more than Suzuki.

... Your captain doesn’t need to be the best player, and defiantly doesn’t need to be the highest paid player on the team. He needs to beat option as a leader in the team. Lafleur was never even a candidate to be a captain on the habs ...

100% agree ... it is a happy coincidence if your best player is the best option as captain.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

... However, it could also be a great idea if Suzuki's contract sets a precedence for highest paid player.  i.e. resign Cole and Slaf long term for less.  

Somehow the Boston Bruins seemed to manage that approach for many years when Raymond Bourque was captain, but I think those days are long gone ... it would be great for the Habs cap-wise, but I wouldn't expect it to happen.

8 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And that wasn't phonetic French ... I saw another clip somewhere yesterday where he said he took French throughout school but reads and understands better than he speaks (which is pretty common for Ontario high school French) ... also, he said he was taking Babel lessons over the summer ... not concerned that the party leaders in a campaign centred in part on "preserving the French identify of Quebec" raised the issue ... and I also expect a few Quebec nationalist media/social commentators to raise the point ... but, I don't expect it to "have legs" or gain any real traction ... especially if Suzuki continues to throw in some French that shows progression.

I wish he'd progress to being able to flawlessly say, in french: "You tired political and media hacks need to stop bitching and moaning about my ability to speak french.  The obsession with language and homegrown talent is a big reason why this franchise hasn't won a cup since 1993.  Worry about my being able to elevate my game to point-per-game center level, because THAT'S what wins hockey games, not language."

It's the same old crap, and I'm tired of it.

2 hours ago, sbhatt said:

I wish he'd progress to being able to flawlessly say, in french: "You tired political and media hacks need to stop bitching and moaning about my ability to speak french.  The obsession with language and homegrown talent is a big reason why this franchise hasn't won a cup since 1993.  Worry about my being able to elevate my game to point-per-game center level, because THAT'S what wins hockey games, not language."

It's the same old crap, and I'm tired of it.

Sure.

But if he cares enough about the francophone fans (and there are many of them) to learn some French without being forced to do so, I do respect his efforts.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If Caufield and Slafkovsky out produce Suzuki, they aren’t going to get less money just because Suzuki is the captain. Your captain doesn’t need to be the best player, and defiantly doesn’t need to be the highest paid player on the team.

Also agree 100%

in his media tour, Suzukie stopped by Julie Snyder's show.

It has been a slow week, so I am posting the interview here. She can be cringie or cute depending on your level of booze.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

in his media tour, Suzukie stopped by Julie Snyder's show.

It has been a slow week, so I am posting the interview here. She can be cringie or cute depending on your level of booze.

I thought it went well ... my only take-away is that following in the footsteps of Bennifer and Brangelina ... allegedly ... Chantal Macabe has nicknamed these two NICole. 

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I thought it went well ... my only take-away is that following in the footsteps of Bennifer and Brangelina ... allegedly ... Chantal Macabe has nicknamed these two NICole. 

#36!

Suzuki seems to understand a fair bit of French. He said he studied from grade 1, so I suspect he was in French immersion in public school.

30 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

#36!

Suzuki seems to understand a fair bit of French. He said he studied from grade 1, so I suspect he was in French immersion in public school.

He also mentioned that at the golf tournament ... Ontario high school French tends to produce people whose comprehension far exceeds their ability to speak French. 

I would like Slick Nick to set a new bar for the 21st century Habs: follow in the footsteps of Gainey, Robinson, and Dryden and learn to speak serviceable conversational French. No one expects perfection, just an honest effort. 

While I decry the media hysteria around this, I also lament that subsequent generations of Habs declined to follow the lead of those three legends. All three of them benefitted from the decision, not least Dryden, who became a credible candidate for Liberal Party of Canada leader, and would not have been so if his French were at zero.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

He also mentioned that at the golf tournament ... Ontario high school French tends to produce people whose comprehension far exceeds their ability to speak French. 

I think that's true for most classroom study anywhere. Need real conversation in order to gain speaking readiness.

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

While I decry the media hysteria around this, I also lament that subsequent generations of Habs declined to follow the lead of those three legends. All three of them benefitted from the decision, not least Dryden, who became a credible candidate for Liberal Party of Canada leader, and would not have been so if his French were at zero.

Suzuki for PM when he retires!

I appreciate them making an appearance on Quebec TV, and that the hosts and crowd really welcomed them warmly, but the whole thing is so awkward and cringey that I can barely watch a couple minutes of it.

4 hours ago, Neech said:

Suzuki for PM when he retires!

I appreciate them making an appearance on Quebec TV, and that the hosts and crowd really welcomed them warmly, but the whole thing is so awkward and cringey that I can barely watch a couple minutes of it.

Amazingly watched the whole thing. 

Thought it was good. 

(Being hockey deprived can do that)

34 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Amazingly watched the whole thing. 

Thought it was good. 

(Being hockey deprived can do that)

Was the show good? Meh. But Suzuki and Caufield acquitted themselves quite well, and that's the reason why I was willing to watch it.