2022-2023 Rookie camp

GHT120

Montreal Canadiens 2022 Rookie Camp Roster (Click here to view a PDF version)

Forwards

Owen Beck

Lucas Condotta

Jared Davidson

Pierrick Dubé

Ryan Francis

Cédrick Guindon

Emil Heineman

Riley Kidney

Filip Mesar

Jan Mysak

John Parker-Jones

Joshua Roy

Xavier Simoneau

Juraj Slafkovsky

Brett Stapley

Defensemen

Justin Barron

Santino Centorame

Gianni Fairbrother

Kaiden Guhle

Jordan Harris

Mattias Norlinder

Miguël Tourigny

William Trudeau

Arber Xhekaj

Logan Mailloux (injured)

Goaltenders

Antoine Coulombe

Riley Mercer

Joe Vrbetic

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It almost feels like waiting on Christmas but it’s finally here. 

Slafkovsky and Guhle going to impress and make the team?

Any surprises this year?

I can’t friggin wait to see 

Only thing I want to ensure is we don’t rush anyone into a position or role they are not ready for. IMO this is - or at least should still be a rebuilding year. But yeah, I want to at least get some idea whether the prospects on D are for real and if we made a a good choice with Slafkovsky - I hope he impresses and eventually becomes a winger whose NHL talent level falls somewhere between Kovalchuk and Jagr.

10 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Only thing I want to ensure is we don’t rush anyone into a position or role they are not ready for.

What I really want to see from this camp is how the kids compare to each other.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It almost feels like waiting on Christmas but it’s finally here. 

Slafkovsky and Guhle going to impress and make the team?

Any surprises this year?

I can’t friggin wait to see 

What those two will do in the tournament won't have much, if any, bearing on their chances of making the team.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if they played in every game.  Knowing they'll want a long look at them in the preseason, I could see management capping their ice time.  (Same for Barron and Harris for that matter; I'd be surprised if they played in all three games as well.)

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

What those two will do in the tournament won't have much, if any, bearing on their chances of making the team.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if they played in every game.  Knowing they'll want a long look at them in the preseason, I could see management capping their ice time.  (Same for Barron and Harris for that matter; I'd be surprised if they played in all three games as well.)

Interesting…so they are likely to wait till actual pre season for in depth play. 

Thankfully that isn’t far away either. 

When do they announce captain?

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Interesting…so they are likely to wait till actual pre season for in depth play. 

Thankfully that isn’t far away either. 

When do they announce captain?

That isn't to say they won't play at all in this but there will be some 'load management' knowing they're all in for longer seasons than they're accustomed to.

The captaincy could be anywhere between Monday (the golf tournament) or the day of the regular season.

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Only thing I want to ensure is we don’t rush anyone into a position or role they are not ready for. IMO this is - or at least should still be a rebuilding year. But yeah, I want to at least get some idea whether the prospects on D are for real and if we made a a good choice with Slafkovsky - I hope he impresses and eventually becomes a winger whose NHL talent level falls somewhere between Kovalchuk and Jagr.

Somewhere between the 4th leading goal scorer of all-time and a player who averaged 38 goals per season for the 10 seasons before he left for the KHL

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Somewhere between the 4th leading goal scorer of all-time and a player who averaged 38 goals per season for the 10 seasons before he left for the KHL

That’s not too much too much to hope for is it?? It’s not like I’m hoping he will be an Ovechkin 😁

• Like 1

Good article from @dlbalr to get this discussion started.

http://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/looking-at-montreals-rookie-camp-invites-2/

I am adding the list of invitees here, I believe the '*' is for players signed to a professional contract :

image.png

image.png

What are you expectations?

On 9/11/2022 at 11:11 AM, GHT120 said:

Montreal Canadiens 2022 Rookie Camp Roster (Click here to view a PDF version)

Forwards

Owen Beck

Lucas Condotta

Jared Davidson

Pierrick Dubé

Ryan Francis

Cédrick Guindon

Emil Heineman

Riley Kidney

Filip Mesar

Jan Mysak

John Parker-Jones

Joshua Roy

Xavier Simoneau

Juraj Slafkovsky

Brett Stapley

Defensemen

Justin Barron

Santino Centorame

Gianni Fairbrother

Kaiden Guhle

Jordan Harris

Mattias Norlinder

Miguël Tourigny

William Trudeau

Arber Xhekaj

Logan Mailloux (injured)

Goaltenders

Antoine Coulombe

Riley Mercer

Joe Vrbetic

Sorry @GHT120 , I had missed your thread and recreated a similar one.

Any expectations out of the rookie camp?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Sorry @GHT120 , I had missed your thread and recreated a similar one.

Any expectations out of the rookie camp?

I expect that based on the rookie tournament Slafkovsky will either be inducted into the HoF or tarred and feathered ... meaning far too much will be made of whatever happens ... for the "bigger name" players this is just a tune-up for the full training camp.

• Upvote 1

The Habs rookies will take part in three games during the tournament, all of which will be livestreamed on the team's official Web site, in addition to Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube. Sébastien Goulet will provide French play-by-play of the action. 

Here is the Canadiens' schedule in Buffalo: 

Thursday, September 15 
Buffalo vs. Montreal, 7:00 p.m. 

Friday, September 16 
Montreal vs. New Jersey, 7:00 p.m. 

Sunday, September 18 
Ottawa vs. Montreal, 12:00 p.m.

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Slafkovsky 238 lbs…🤩👀

So is Xhekaj ... at least there is a defenceman Slafkovsky can "joust" with.

Looking at the players with "name recognition", Heineman has decent size (6'2", 194) ... so too do Barron and Guhle (6'2", 201/205 respectively)

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Tonight's projected lines against Buffalo:

Slafkovsky - Kidney - Mesar

Heineman - Beck - Condotta

Simoneau - Mysak - Guindon

Davidson - Stapley - Francis

Norlinder - Barron

Trudeau - Harris

Xhekaj - Tourigny

Vrbetic

I’m really looking forward to watching Slafkovsky but I’m also really excited to see Mesar - Mesar has absolutely massive legs and I bet he works the corners like a savage. 

They might be part of the best line together in Laval - best line in the league maybe. 

Im curious how Slafkovsky uses his weight. Is it a non factor like some other big men or does he use his size to bully/gain position on his opponents?

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

So is Xhekaj ... at least there is a defenceman Slafkovsky can "joust" with.

Looking at the players with "name recognition", Heineman has decent size (6'2", 194) ... so too do Barron and Guhle (6'2", 201/205 respectively)

I haven’t paid close attention to Xhekaj but it’s being reported by some on twitter that he gained 20 lbs this summer. 

If true that is a lot of weight to add

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

image.png

Updated roster with measurements taken yesterday. 

Slafkovsky 238 lbs…🤩👀

My 1st thought was I wish the pic was a bit larger because it looks it says Slaf is 238 lbs, but I guess its not my eyes.

Same with John Parker Jones - I'm not sure who that is.  I definitely recall the Habs having another large forward prospect and I forget his name but I'm fairly certain that I'm thinking of a different guy.  The guy I'm thinking of had an uncommon name like Sebastian or something.  

>>Edit:  I was thinking of Callum Chisholm who was at the development camp.  Unfortunately, it doesnt seem like they invited him back.  

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m really looking forward to watching Slafkovsky but I’m also really excited to see Mesar - Mesar has absolutely massive legs and I bet he works the corners like a savage. 

They might be part of the best line together in Laval - best line in the league maybe. 

Im curious how Slafkovsky uses his weight. Is it a non factor like some other big men or does he use his size to bully/gain position on his opponents?

It would be very, very unusual for two rookies to be part of the best line in the AHL.  Add to that the fact that 18 and 19 year olds often struggle in the AHL (most AHL rookies are 20) and I'd really say to adjust the expectations especially on Mesar. 

This is still a men's league where the 26 year old (or older) veteran journeymen who are not quite good enough for the NHL, tend to dominate. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It would be very, very unusual for two rookies to be part of the best line in the AHL.  Add to that the fact that 18 and 19 year olds often struggle in the AHL (most AHL rookies are 20) and I'd really say to adjust the expectations especially on Mesar. 

This is still a men's league where the 26 year old (or older) veteran journeymen who are not quite good enough for the NHL, tend to dominate. 

You are likely right my friend but I dare to hope. If not this season then perhaps the next. 

Looking forward to watching them tonight

56 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Sure, I hope so too. 

Realistically, I wouldn't be surprised if Mesar is in the OHL though.  

I really know nothing about Mesar other than he compares stylistically to Marner and he has really, noticeably massive legs. 

Hopefully he turns out to be as good as Marner - whatever route he takes.