2022-2023 Rookie camp

GHT120

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They might be part of the best line together in Laval - best line in the league maybe.

There's a reason that rookies rarely lead the AHL in scoring.  There is some adjustment time needed and putting two double-underagers (relative to CHL rules) on the same line in Laval wouldn't go well.  If Slafkovsky goes to the Rocket, a good showing would be 45-50 points in their 72-game season.  As the youngest player in the league or close to it, that's realistically about all that can be expected, especially from a player that wouldn't have been the top pick in most draft classes.  He wouldn't be part of the best line in the league by any stretch.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There's a reason that rookies rarely lead the AHL in scoring.  There is some adjustment time needed and putting two double-underagers (relative to CHL rules) on the same line in Laval wouldn't go well.  If Slafkovsky goes to the Rocket, a good showing would be 45-50 points in their 72-game season.  As the youngest player in the league or close to it, that's realistically about all that can be expected, especially from a player that wouldn't have been the top pick in most draft classes.  He wouldn't be part of the best line in the league by any stretch.

This is what is likely to happen and the chances of them dominating the AHL is very unlikely. The more I read about Mesar, the more I think he is going OHL. 

Xhekaj on Slafkovsky’s size and strength in the corners. 

My delusions of grandeur for instant stardom lives on 🤠

Emil Heineman opens the scoring with a shot from the right face-off circle

Mesar short-handed makes it 2-0

Mesar short-handed makes it 2-0

2-1 on a virtual 2-0

2-2 deflection between the legs.

13 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

What, no game day thread?    🤣

Interesting, Barron is wearing the C, I figured it would be Ghule.  

I've seen at least 2 could've been penalties against Buff.  

Guhle not dressed

Slafkovsky and Mesar could have three goals - they look great. 

I think Harris is our best D

One thing I didn’t expect to say today is that Trudeau really impressed me. He reads the play very well and he covers defensively. 

Xhekaj is covering his ass just fine but I question if he is fast enough for the NHL. 

Slaf looks so big out there is almost looks like he's playing against Midget age group.  It kinda reminds me of Kramer doing karate against kids.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Xhekaj is covering his ass just fine but I question if he is fast enough for the NHL. 

If Xhekaj really gained 20 lbs it was probably a mistake.  The extra weight wasn't needed to be a better dman and it would slow him down.  

1 minute ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Slaf looks so big out there is almost looks like he's playing against Midget age group.  It kinda reminds me of Kramer doing karate against kids.

If Xhekaj really gained 20 lbs it was probably a mistake.  The extra weight wasn't needed to be a better dman and it would slow him down.  

Slafkovsky looks like Jagr and he is impressive. 

He is going to face tougher competition soon and if he can still look like Jagr then we might have ourselves something special 

I like Codotta standing up for his teammate, but loved how 24 yr-old Zach Berzolla bounced off Slafkovsky ... but the kid can't leave himself open like that to too many hits

Not certain he will make the NHL but gotta love a little guy with no fear

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I like Codotta standing up for his teammate, but loved how 24 yr-old Zach Berzolla bounced off Slafkovsky ... but the kid can't leave himself open like that to too many hits

Yeah there are guys in the NHL that won’t just bounce off - they will knock Slafkovsky out. 

As much as I praised his game last night, Slafkovsky has rough areas of his game. 

- his head is down too much

-  defensive zone giveaway that resulted in a goal against. He needs to watch himself in his own zone. 
- He plays like he has no concerns for his own safety. Like he has never been rocked by an equal rival. It’s guaranteed that he will face bigger, stronger, faster foes in the NHL. 

What is exciting about Slafkovsky is that he showed speed and skill and offensive creativity that is miles above what Kotkaniemi showed. 

Im confident that Slafkovsky is the real deal - finally after Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi flops. 

I would however start Slaf in Laval. Let him dominate and sand the rough edges before competing in the NHL

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah there are guys in the NHL that won’t just bounce off - they will knock Slafkovsky out. ... 
Im confident that Slafkovsky is the real deal - finally after Galchenyuk and Kotkaniemi flops. 

I would however start Slaf in Laval. Let him dominate and sand the rough edges before competing in the NHL

Totally agree ... normally the issue with first overall, and very high, picks is that sending them back to junior or Europe means they can't be recalled, except rarely under strict "emergency" circumstances for juniors ... so they start the season as a test, or to give them a taste ...  Slafkovsky can be recalled from Laval whenever HuGo decide to do so ... since there is an option to slide his ELC if he doesn't play at least 10 games in the NHL this season I would defer as many of those 9 "slide games" as possible (preferably all) until later in the season ... they can then be used as a test drive to see if he should finish the season in Montreal once he has had the chance to more fully adapt to the "North American" game/ice-surface.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yeah there are guys in the NHL that won’t just bounce off - they will knock Slafkovsky out. 

As much as I praised his game last night, Slafkovsky has rough areas of his game. 

- his head is down too much

-  defensive zone giveaway that resulted in a goal against. He needs to watch himself in his own zone. 
- He plays like he has no concerns for his own safety. Like he has never been rocked by an equal rival. It’s guaranteed that he will face bigger, stronger, faster foes in the NHL. 

What is exciting about Slafkovsky is that he showed speed and skill and offensive creativity that is miles above what Kotkaniemi showed. 

I also agree, showed tremendous skill and like any 18 year old on the planet he has things to learn.  I am very excited about his potential, will be fun to watch for a lot of years.