2022-2023 Rookie camp

GHT120

16 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I was impressed with his skill and work ethic. 

Kidney was decent too

What did you think of Trudeau? I was blown away with his hockey IQ

Trudeau was solid and his passing from the back is very good. 

On 9/17/2022 at 6:28 AM, Commandant said:

Trudeau was solid and his passing from the back is very good. 

That’s not what Pierre Poilievre has been telling me

Ba-dum, thanks folks, I’m here all night.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That’s not what Pierre Poilievre has been telling me

Ba-dum, thanks folks, I’m here all night.

But Pierre does think that Mesar has a chance to be a great right winger,  he is not as impressed with their left wingers though. 

I really want Xhekaj to eventually make the Habs. The man is a savage and his game is decent - he needs some polish. He is a bigger, meaner, stronger Chairot. 

I think both Mesar and Slafkovsky should start in Laval. I think Mesar is good enough for AHL and both of them are too raw for NHL. 

Guhle is smooth - he is absolutely ready. 

Barron looks like he is trying to do everything by himself and just runs around accomplishing nothing. I’m not a fan. 

Lots of players had a good game and show lots of skill. I hope we can develop them further. 

Bring on training camp and preseason 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Barron looks like he is trying to do everything by himself and just runs around accomplishing nothing. I’m not a fan.

I think this is a lot of what you get in the rookie tournament, though. There is very little time for coaching, and everyone is trying to show off their individual skills. I wouldn't write anyone off based on these two or three games, but clearly some players shone more than others.

All of these kids need professional-level coaching and practice time, though.

17 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think this is a lot of what you get in the rookie tournament, though. There is very little time for coaching, and everyone is trying to show off their individual skills. I wouldn't write anyone off based on these two or three games, but clearly some players shone more than others.

All of these kids need professional-level coaching and practice time, though.

Re: Barron, this is why we need to add one more legit NHL defender IMHO: a #5-6 guy who can be slotted in at need. One injury at RD and we will be over-using Barron; but what if Barron is not ready yet? Then his confidence comes in for a beating and the team gets shellacked night after night.

The kid needs a better safety net, I think. 

42 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Re: Barron, this is why we need to add one more legit NHL defender IMHO: a #5-6 guy who can be slotted in at need. One injury at RD and we will be over-using Barron; but what if Barron is not ready yet? Then his confidence comes in for a beating and the team gets shellacked night after night.

The kid needs a better safety net, I think. 

My gut tells me that HuGo believe that a quality young D is going to be available via waivers soon. 

There are always good players available early season, usually due to cap mismanagement or a logjam of talent. 

It’s great to have first crack at waivers 

10 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My gut tells me that HuGo believe that a quality young D is going to be available via waivers soon. 

There are always good players available early season, usually due to cap mismanagement or a logjam of talent. 

It’s great to have first crack at waivers 

Not certain about "quality young" defenceman ... but I agree there will likely be a "good enough for this season" defenceman they can claim ... not that I will complain if there is in fact someone better available ... but I expect that any team facing the need to waive even a decent young defenceman will look to recoup "something" in a trade ... 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Not certain about "quality young" defenceman ... but I agree there will likely be a "good enough for this season" defenceman they can claim ... not that I will complain if there is in fact someone better available ... but I expect that any team facing the need to waive even a decent young defenceman will look to recoup "something" in a trade ... 

Yeah I don’t expect a top line player but we lost Hainsey to waivers for example and a player of that calibre would really help. 

I hope it happens and perhaps we can find a decent forward too

58 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

very glad to see Sobolev in North America :)

http://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/habs-cut-four-from-training-camp/

This may end up costing me a few 67s tickets to get a glimpse at the prospects.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

+ New D they claim on waivers, some examples:

o- Bear or Coghlan from CAR

o- Sean Walker from LAK

o- Poolman, Burroughs, Juulsen from VAN

• I don't see Bear and Coughlin making it to waivers ... ***if*** they don't make the 'Canes they will be dealt for something before they are waived.
  • same for Walker
  • the Vancouver guys are more likely the profile of who might be found on waivers, be it for cap or roster make-up reasons.

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:
  • I don't see Bear and Coughlin making it to waivers ... ***if*** they don't make the 'Canes they will be dealt for something before they are waived.
  • same for Walker
  • the Vancouver guys are more likely the profile of who might be found on waivers, be it for cap or roster make-up reasons.

I looked at cap friendly rosters for teams with extra RDs and could only come up with those names as potential waiver targets.

Do you have any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I looked at cap friendly rosters for teams with extra RDs and could only come up with those names as potential waiver targets.

Do you have any suggestions?

Nope ... I don't expect many players we fans would WANT, or put it another way that would have a "future" with the team, to make it to waivers ... I think it will be more 6/7/8 types on waivers ... I could perhaps see an AAV-for AAV trade of a surplus forward for a 4/5 short-term "fix" ... may have to be a leftie who can play on the right.

Would kinda like to see Juulsen go on waivers ... it would be nice to see him get some games in a Habs sweater.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:
  • same for Walker

Agreed, Bear/Coghlan/Walker won't be waived.

Poolman has major concussion issues and a bad contract.  Juulsen will clear, Burroughs might make it there, probably him or Brady Keeper.

An under the radar name to watch for is Winnipeg's Leon Gawanke.  I could see someone claiming him in the coming weeks.  I know there are teams watching Pittsburgh as well to see if one of their extra guys hits the wire.

7 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Nope ... I don't expect many players we fans would WANT, or put it another way that would have a "future" with the team, to make it to waivers ... I think it will be more 6/7/8 types on waivers ... I could perhaps see an AAV-for AAV trade of a surplus forward for a 4/5 short-term "fix" ... may have to be a leftie who can play on the right.

Would kinda like to see Juulsen go on waivers ... it would be nice to see him get some games in a Habs sweater.

I feel the same about Juulsen. I doubt Hugh-Gort feel the same way