PK Retires

brobin

I was not a fan but I respect and understand those who were ...  expect he will land on ESPN or Turner's studio coverage of the NHL ... wish him well ... his energy could do a lot to support the new TV contract for either network.

25 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

His game was fading, and he wasn't interested in playing for around league minimum.  Makes sense to transition to higher paying TV jobs.

Makes sense to transition to a job with shorter hours and far less risk of further injuries.

Thank god, now I don't have to read post of how we should sign him or trade for him. 

Loved him as a habs, was sad to see him traded, but understood the trade from Bergevin point(hockey side of the trade, not ego side of the trade.)

Enjoy your retirement, see you in the second half of the season when a top team needs a puck moving Defensemen. 

Happy retirement PK! Probably the best skater we got to watch in a Habs uniform over the last 25 years. I always suspected his game wouldn't age well, and it turns out the once maligned Weber trade worked out decently for us and we didn't have to suffer the back end of Schwebby's endless contract. I hope PK's got a nice media gig in the states lined up.

Subban really dropped off after he went to Jersey. I don't know if it was any one injury, but that fact is, he had a fairly injury-riddled career, and the accumulation of damage caught up to him. His first step was never that great, and without having watched him closely in the last couple of seasons, I would guess that once that regressed he was done as an impact D-man. 

Without question the most consistently electrifying player the Canadiens produced after Lafleur, PK was a fabulous player for us and for Nashville too. He brought it every single shift and thrived on the big stage. I loved him from Day One and never understood the joyless resentment of him evinced by some fans. The talk about his dodgy D-zone play was just that, talk, oblivious to the fact that when he did make a gaffe he usually recovered very well. Meanwhile the toxic attitude of Habs management toward him said a lot more about those A-holes than it did about him. Not unrelatedly, he had to put up with a sh*tload of subliminal and not-so-subliminal racism, especially early in his career when he was widely demonized for being too uppity

Although The Trade seems to have been undertaken for the wrong reasons (Therrien hating PK's guts, MB being angry over a contractual outcome which his own stupidity ensured, etc.) it was a classic case of a trade that, thanks in part to Weber's career-ending injury, worked out for both teams.

Props to PK for a great career. 👍 I look forward to what will surely be a memorable second act in broadcasting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/20/2022 at 4:58 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Subban really dropped off after he went to Jersey. I don't know if it was any one injury, but that fact is, he had a fairly injury-riddled career, and the accumulation of damage caught up to him. His first step was never that great, and without having watched him closely in the last couple of seasons, I would guess that once that regressed he was done as an impact D-man. 

Without question the most consistently electrifying player the Canadiens produced after Lafleur, PK was a fabulous player for us and for Nashville too. He brought it every single shift and thrived on the big stage. I loved him from Day One and never understood the joyless resentment of him evinced by some fans. The talk about his dodgy D-zone play was just that, talk, oblivious to the fact that when he did make a gaffe he usually recovered very well. Meanwhile the toxic attitude of Habs management toward him said a lot more about those A-holes than it did about him. Not unrelatedly, he had to put up with a sh*tload of subliminal and not-so-subliminal racism, especially early in his career when he was widely demonized for being too uppity

Although The Trade seems to have been undertaken for the wrong reasons (Therrien hating PK's guts, MB being angry over a contractual outcome which his own stupidity ensured, etc.) it was a classic case of a trade that, thanks in part to Weber's career-ending injury, worked out for both teams.

Props to PK for a great career. 👍 I look forward to what will surely be a memorable second act in broadcasting. 

PK made it exciting to be a Habs fan. That’s why I was so gutted when he was traded. He and Price were the biggest lights in a pretty dark era for the Habs.

This new youth has me feeling a similar spark though 

6 hours ago, Meller93 said:

PK made it exciting to be a Habs fan. That’s why I was so gutted when he was traded. He and Price were the biggest lights in a pretty dark era for the Habs.

This new youth has me feeling a similar spark though 

As dark of an era as it was, we still managed 3 eastern Conference finals and a Dustin Tokarski from 2 Stanley Cup final appearances

That's a lot better then half the league

19 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

As dark of an era as it was, we still managed 3 eastern Conference finals and a Dustin Tokarski from 2 Stanley Cup final appearances

That's a lot better then half the league

Just seeking clarification ... which era?   

In PK's time with the Habs they made two eastern Finals and no Cup Finals ... although there was one Eastern Final that could possibly have become a Cup Final ... in Bergevin's era it one Cup Final, and an Eastern Final (coulda/shoulda Cup Final) during his overlap with PK.

17 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Price... and the point was it wasn't that dark...

But it was dangerously balanced on his shoulders ... the team only had a chance in the playoffs if he was Superman ... Gainey, Gauthier and Bergevin all failed to build a team that could come close to carrying Carey when he turned into Clark Kent.

2014 and 2015 were bright spots for sure. The team was knocking on the door, emerging as a top-end contender, led by peak Price, Subban, Patches, Pleks, and Gally.

Price’s injury in 2016 destroyed all that. Folks forget, but we were destroying all comers before that injury; Price was 10-2 when he went down.

By 2017 Pleks had aged out, Subban was gone to satisfy management’s ego, Therrien had outstayed his welcome, Price was in his third act as a more physically fragile and less consistently sublime goalie, and the whole thing disintegrated.