Harvey-Pinard - Mesar - Richard

Pezzetta - Mysak - Roy

Matheson - Barron

Guhle - Harris

Fairbrother - Norlinder

Allen

Primeau

Puck drop is at 7 ET on TSN2 and RDS.

That's a grand total of four 2021-22 regulars in the lineup tonight (Caufield, Hoffman, Pitlick and Allen). Or maybe five, if you include Pezzetta in that category.

Looking forward to seeing what the kids can do in a little bit more serious game than the rookie tournament.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

That's a grand total of four 2021-22 regulars in the lineup tonight (Caufield, Hoffman, Pitlick and Allen). Or maybe five, if you include Pezzetta in that category.

Looking forward to seeing what the kids can do in a little bit more serious game than the rookie tournament.

But that basically is our NHL defense this season 😛

53 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

But that basically is our NHL defense this season 😛

with Edmundson out, I woul s say the opening night D duos are:

Matheson-Barron

Guhle-Savard

Shueneman-Wideman

With Edmundson:

Matheson-Savard

Edmundson-Barron

Shueneman/Guhle*-Wideman

I would send Guhle to Laval to play in all situations and become "THE" go-to defenseman.

Edited by alfredoh2009
Forgot to add, I would also send Barron down to become Guhle's partner for years to come, like Chelios and Kurvers :). But that requires a trade

I'll admit I missed half of the first period. 

Richard is looking like a good 3rd/4th line guy, if he makes the team out of camp.  Good stick, good pressure on the puck, making some smart plays with the puck, looked good on the PK.  Even though New Jersey was just as bad as Montreal last season.

Caufield had that great one-timer on the PP.  Was a little disappointed in Matheson on the PP, elected to shoot with Hoffman and Caufield on the top of their respective circles in one-timer position.  This was something I have been critical of Montreal's PP for a few years, the right side had no reliable one-timer option so the play always funneled to the left for a shot from Weber, and more recently Cauflield.  I hope they keep this change going forward to the season.

20 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Beck just took a faceoff holding his stick in the wrong hand, so his blade curve faced him.  I can't say I've seen that before in the NHL.

The Athletic had a story about this. Apparently Mysak picked it up from watching Bellemare switching from left to right last spring, and practised it. Beck saw him doing it, and decided to try it himself, too. Apparently he's using that for all the left-side faceoffs.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

The Athletic had a story about this. Apparently Mysak picked it up from watching Bellemare switching from left to right last spring, and practised it. Beck saw him doing it, and decided to try it himself, too. Apparently he's using that for all the left-side faceoffs.

Beck was 10/17 on faceoffs, not bad at all for an 18yo kid in his first NHL game. Maybe he could give some lessons to Dach?

29 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Beck was 10/17 on faceoffs, not bad at all for an 18yo kid in his first NHL game. Maybe he could give some lessons to Dach?

yeah, I can imagine how that would go:

Beck: Hey, Kirby, buddy, I've heard you suck at face offs; wanna stay after practice tomorrow so that I can show you how its done>

Dach: sure kid, sure..... just wait for me after practice {see if I show up}

8 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

with Edmundson out, I woul s say the opening night D duos are:

Matheson-Barron

Guhle-Savard

Shueneman-Wideman

With Edmundson:

Matheson-Savard

Edmundson-Barron

Shueneman/Guhle*-Wideman

I would send Guhle to Laval to play in all situations and become "THE" go-to defenseman.

My comment was mainly tongue in cheek but on the actual pairings I think you'll see Matheson-Savard as the top pairing. Though I understand wanting a vet with the young guys.. Barron would die with Matheson as a partner.

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tough week for fans of the team who watch/listen on TSN.  Dan Robertson (who should have been on TV duty for the Habs years ago) goes to Winnipeg to become their TV broadcaster and now John Lu is off to Winnipeg as well.

Was always a fan of John Lu, was a big reason why I always liked TN. Him and Bob. Happy that he gets to go home and work in his home town. Going to miss your coverage of the habs Lu.

1 minute ago, Plutarch said:

My comment was mainly tongue in cheek but on the actual pairings I think you'll see Matheson-Savard as the top pairing. Though I understand wanting a vet with the young guys.. Barron would die with Matheson as a partner.

I am just answering to have a chat, do not take it too seriously.

Matheson played well tonight, on the post game they are saying that Harris seems to be ahead of Barron

So, I don't know. I can't wait for the next few games to see how they look on the ice

54 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Tough week for fans of the team who watch/listen on TSN.  Dan Robertson (who should have been on TV duty for the Habs years ago) goes to Winnipeg to become their TV broadcaster and now John Lu is off to Winnipeg as well.

I will greatly miss John Lu 

I wasn’t able to watch. 

Any opinions on:

- sounds like Slaf struggled?

-did Harris look great?

-how did Guhle do?

-Dach look good?

-Messar at centre? 

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I will greatly miss John Lu 

I wasn’t able to watch. 

I didn't realize there was a game, but I did find that it was streamed on youtube.  I'm just watching it now.

It's a shame John Lu is gone.  Who is replacing him?  I certainly hope not Colaiacovo, PK is available and he would be much better. 

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

- sounds like Slaf struggled?

-did Harris look great?

-how did Guhle do?

-Dach look good?

-Messar at centre? 

I was going to do a point by point breakdown of your questions, but the reality is nobody was real noticeable for their play, in my opinion, except Richard.  He had moments where he looked real good pressuring the puck carrier.

As for the rest, the Habs spent a significant amount of time in their own zone, shots were 32-21 for New Jersey.  Allen pitched a shutout, where Primeau had 2 against him, but one was extremely fluky.  Was a perfect ping-pong goal, couldn't replicate it if they tried a thousand times.  To their credit, the defense didn't give up many bad breaks, so I guess that's a credit to them.

Overall I was underwhelmed with the players looking to secure roster spots.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/habs-drop-first-preseason-game-to-devils/

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/9/26/23373824/canadiens-vs-devils-top-six-minutes-3-stars-finally-hockey-is-back

Love to hear this fella looked good, defending (they say) is where he has some issues and may see that vs better rosters next week? 

HabsWorld Habs 3 Stars

1st Star – Mike Matheson

One game is a terribly small sample size but what a game it was. Matheson might not be as physical as Jeff Petry, but he’s just as implicated on the entire 200-foot game and he handles the power play so much better than Petry. Many defensive gems and offensive creation made Matheson the best Hab on the ice (Bratt may have been the best player overall). If he handles himself like this regularly, I think the fan base will quickly forget about Petry, and that’s not a knock on Petry who was an excellent Hab for a long time. Wow! What a game by Matheson.

Stats: 1 assist, 0(+/-), 1 shot, 1 hit, 25:54 T.O.I.