Sept. 26, Devils vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

8 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

... Primeau had 2 against him, but one was extremely fluky.  Was a perfect ping-pong goal, couldn't replicate it if they tried a thousand times ...

That is IMO a very generous description that totally omits Primeau's PATHETIC post coverage on the play ... without which, no matter how many pings or pongs occurred, there would have been no goal.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I was going to do a point by point breakdown of your questions, but the reality is nobody was real noticeable for their play, in my opinion, except Richard.  He had moments where he looked real good pressuring the puck carrier.

As for the rest, the Habs spent a significant amount of time in their own zone, shots were 32-21 for New Jersey.  Allen pitched a shutout, where Primeau had 2 against him, but one was extremely fluky.  Was a perfect ping-pong goal, couldn't replicate it if they tried a thousand times.  To their credit, the defense didn't give up many bad breaks, so I guess that's a credit to them.

Overall I was underwhelmed with the players looking to secure roster spots.

Thanks friend for the comments. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/habs-drop-first-preseason-game-to-devils/

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/9/26/23373824/canadiens-vs-devils-top-six-minutes-3-stars-finally-hockey-is-back

Love to hear this fella looked good, defending (they say) is where he has some issues and may see that vs better rosters next week? 

HabsWorld Habs 3 Stars

1st Star – Mike Matheson

One game is a terribly small sample size but what a game it was. Matheson might not be as physical as Jeff Petry, but he’s just as implicated on the entire 200-foot game and he handles the power play so much better than Petry. Many defensive gems and offensive creation made Matheson the best Hab on the ice (Bratt may have been the best player overall). If he handles himself like this regularly, I think the fan base will quickly forget about Petry, and that’s not a knock on Petry who was an excellent Hab for a long time. Wow! What a game by Matheson.

Stats: 1 assist, 0(+/-), 1 shot, 1 hit, 25:54 T.O.I.

I kind of forget about Matheson because I’m so focused and excited about the youngsters. 

Our D might not be a total tire fire this year after all. Especially if Edmundson is not hurt long term 

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am just answering to have a chat, do not take it too seriously.

Matheson played well tonight, on the post game they are saying that Harris seems to be ahead of Barron

So, I don't know. I can't wait for the next few games to see how they look on the ice

I hadn't taken it seriously I just wanted to make it clear I didn't think Norlinder and Fairbrother would start the season with the Habs lol.

Harris plays a more conservative game (I think) which will lend itself to making the team.

Barron would benefit a ton from playing a big role in the AHL. He has missed alot of time. The season before the pandemic in the Q he had some blood clot issues.. then pandemic.. he needs games and minutes.

He has offensive upside and should be encouraged to explore that. I feel his ceiling is higher than Harris.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

That is IMO a very generous description that totally omits Primeau's PATHETIC post coverage on the play ... without which, no matter how many pings or pongs occurred, there would have been no goal.

I believe that’s being a little harsh.  Even the best have let in similar goals while tight to the post.

1 hour ago, Plutarch said:

[...]Harris plays a more conservative game (I think) which will lend itself to making the team.

Barron would benefit a ton from playing a big role in the AHL. He has missed alot of time. The season before the pandemic in the Q he had some blood clot issues.. then pandemic.. he needs games and minutes.

He has offensive upside and should be encouraged to explore that. I feel his ceiling is higher than Harris.

I feel the same way

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

I believe that’s being a little harsh.  Even the best have let in similar goals while tight to the post.

And on those goals their post coverage was PATHETIC ... not saying Primeau's post coverage in general is poor, but it was horrible on that goal.

13 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

It's a shame John Lu is gone.  Who is replacing him?  I certainly hope not Colaiacovo, PK is available and he would be much better. 

It won't be Colaiacovo replacing him, he lives in Toronto and is co-host of a radio show there.  If TSN opts to replace him (and with Bell's cost-cutting, that's an if, not a when), it will be a new 'bureau chief' (someone that covers NHL, CFL, MLS, and any other events in the area) coming in so it won't be a hockey-specific person taking on that role.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tough week for fans of the team who watch/listen on TSN.  Dan Robertson (who should have been on TV duty for the Habs years ago) goes to Winnipeg to become their TV broadcaster and now John Lu is off to Winnipeg as well.

That sucks. Robertson is excellent. 

20 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

... Overall I was underwhelmed with the players looking to secure roster spots.

Overall, I can't disagree ... but while there is no doubt Owen beck will be in the OHL this season if the roster can swing it it might be nice to keep him up with the team for the first few-days/week of the season to reward him with some NHL pay ... they wouldn't even have to play him.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I will greatly miss John Lu 

I wasn’t able to watch. 

Any opinions on:

- sounds like Slaf struggled?  Bah, he had some good flash in the 1st period, including 2 great feed across the slot.

-did Harris look great?  Mobile, a very decent first game.

-how did Guhle do? Solid. Confident. Carried the puck at least twice.

-Dach look good?  He was fine.  He's huuuge.   Couple of good body checks.

-Messar at centre?  Meh.

I disagree with Burglar.   Added my comments.   Didn't see any replay or any description, was at the Bell Centre. 

Pezzetta had a very good game overall. Fighting hard for 13th forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

I disagree with Burglar.   Added my comments.   Didn't see any replay or any description, was at the Bell Centre. 

Pezzetta had a very good game overall. Fighting hard for 13th forward.

Thanks Joe!

I’m excited for our future and I can’t wait to watch Slafkovsky tonight vs the leafs.