Sportsnet Now (nee NHL Live)?

tomh009

So, the option to buy streaming from the NHL in Canada is gone now. And I can't see the option to subscribe to the French broadcasts only on the Sportsnet site.

Now, Sportsnet Now Premium is on sale for the time being for $199.99 for the year. And it appears to not have regional blackouts for the Habs if you are subscribing outside the Habsland, but still "Limited blackouts apply". Small print says "All Sportsnet exclusive games are available blackout-free on SN NOW PREMIUM. If a game is on more than one network, the game is subject to regional blackouts. SN NOW PREMIUM includes all out-of-market games blackout free."

Can someone decode this? How many Habs games would this exclude? $200/year is getting to the acceptable range, given that I don't pay a monthly cable bill. :)

It looks like they're showing tonight's game so that would cover the regional games during the week.  If you look in the table in this link, it looks like regular SN Now also has the HNIC/Wednesday national games so if the basic one has it, the premium one probably will as well.

https://www.snnow.ca/support/blog/support/stream-nhl-games-with-sportsnet-now

I think, like NHL live, the only worries you will have for Habs games are if you are in the local area, so Quebec.  From what you quoted above, those blackouts will not include games that are on the Sportsnet channels, like HNIC.

I don't anticipate it being much different from NHL Live.  I resubscribed tonight before the game because I had a renewal discount of a whopping $20 extra off from the promotion you are quoting.

Just so I’m clear…as an out-of-market Habs fan, if I want access to all or most regular season Habs games, this is now the service I need to buy - ?

I know, I know, old man syndrome, but there was a time I could pay $5 extra for RDS on my cable package and hey presto, Habs. 

From one old man to another ... I think this is now the only option for streaming (apart from the "free" streams that rebroadcast nhl.com). $200 sounds like only $17/month, but it's really more like $29/month of Habs games.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Just so I’m clear…as an out-of-market Habs fan, if I want access to all or most regular season Habs games, this is now the service I need to buy - ?

I know, I know, old man syndrome, but there was a time I could pay $5 extra for RDS on my cable package and hey presto, Habs. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, and I’ve been known to be wrong now and again, but doesn’t RDS only televise like 60 or 65 games?  Or has that changed since the Rogers takeover of NHL TV rights? 

It’s been a long time since I watched a Habs game on RDS.

15 hours ago, tomh009 said:

So, the option to buy streaming from the NHL in Canada is gone now. And I can't see the option to subscribe to the French broadcasts only on the Sportsnet site.

Now, Sportsnet Now Premium is on sale for the time being for $199.99 for the year. And it appears to not have regional blackouts for the Habs if you are subscribing outside the Habsland, but still "Limited blackouts apply". Small print says "All Sportsnet exclusive games are available blackout-free on SN NOW PREMIUM. If a game is on more than one network, the game is subject to regional blackouts. SN NOW PREMIUM includes all out-of-market games blackout free."

Can someone decode this? How many Habs games would this exclude? $200/year is getting to the acceptable range, given that I don't pay a monthly cable bill. :)

Get a android box or fire stick and get an iptv provider, you get everything and save money. Just make sure you have unlimited Internet and fast upload speed's. 

15 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, and I’ve been known to be wrong now and again, but doesn’t RDS only televise like 60 or 65 games?  Or has that changed since the Rogers takeover of NHL TV rights? 

They televise every game that is not on TVA ... last season I think it was just shy of 70 (68?).

53 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

RDS blacked out most/all? games out west since TVA got some games I think it was..so stream or NHL centreice.

I also miss the $4.99/month for RDS add on. But f' it, $250 for all 82gms i just come to accept now.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If you're streaming, yes.  If you still have a TV package, then it's still Centre Ice that you need.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Get a android box or fire stick and get an iptv provider, you get everything and save money. Just make sure you have unlimited Internet and fast upload speed's. 

Don't want another box. And prefer to have an option to watch either on the TV or on my PC.

4 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Not to be a buzzkill, but we aren’t allowed to advertise pirated streams here, which is what IPTV providers are.

48 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

There's no sportsnet app for roku TV. Not sure about Apple. Fortunately, there is one for ps4. I actually prefer the app to nhl live. Can ff 30 seconds

Yeah. I have a Roku TV but I do have an Amazon Fire stick in it so I can watch that way. Most often I'll watch on my PC, though. And occasionally on my phone.

P.S. If you use the EARLYBIRD discount code for Sportsnet you can get one year or Premium for $180, slightly better than the current deal. Apparently only until 10 October, though.

40 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah. I have a Roku TV but I do have an Amazon Fire stick in it so I can watch that way. Most often I'll watch on my PC, though. And occasionally on my phone.

P.S. If you use the EARLYBIRD discount code for Sportsnet you can get one year or Premium for $180, slightly better than the current deal. Apparently only until 10 October, though.

Quoting so I remember the code!

I’m Roku TV so I’m going to see if Xbox has an app and if so I’m doing this deal. 

I need a new internet and tv provider because bell upped my bill by $80 a month for some reason so screw them. 

35 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I may settle for 32 games on "free" TV and just track the rest through the radio feed. Still making up my mind. 

A fair option ... but I have no "free" TV! But if you don't watch anything else on the cable package (we don't), it's a lot of money every month for hockey, so we have nothing at all, just an antenna for my mother-in-law to watch her couple of programs.

2 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Quoting so I remember the code!

I’m Roku TV so I’m going to see if Xbox has an app and if so I’m doing this deal. 

I need a new internet and tv provider because bell upped my bill by $80 a month for some reason so screw them. 

Lots of Bell/Rogers reseller options out there.

We're in a condo building so we have an inexpensive 100/100 option ($40/mo) which works well for us. That plus Netflix and now Sportsnet is our total spend.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Lots of Bell/Rogers reseller options out there.

We're in a condo building so we have an inexpensive 100/100 option ($40/mo) which works well for us. That plus Netflix and now Sportsnet is our total spend.

We are in an older building and the cable for Rogers is pre coax so it doesn’t work with the new technology. 

My only option is dsl unfortunately and my speeds are poor

I’ve used NHL.tv and NHL live for a few years now.  So far with Sportsnet NOW, and I’m hoping it’s just the preseason, but it doesn’t take the advertisements out of the games like NHL.tv/NHL Live did.

Anyone know if this is going to continue through the season or it’s just preseason it happening to?  

On 9/27/2022 at 4:21 PM, TurdBurglar said:
On 9/27/2022 at 11:31 AM, Habsfan89 said:

Not to be a buzzkill, but we aren’t allowed to advertise pirated streams here, which is what IPTV providers are.

You dont need fast internet to stream games, especially UL speed because technically you're DL a stream.  The wiring on my street was probably done back in the early 1900's.  I have a super slow DSL connection that they dont guarantee the speed of at all - they'd have to rewire my street to improve it.  I am able to watch streams just fine. 

Doesn't advertising a pirated stream mean actually posting a specific 1 and with a link?

I've had to stream games since the $5 RDS days ended.  It totally sucked for quite a while, but the streams have gotten a ton better.   i.e. I can watch games after the fact and can rewind, but there is no ff live games though.  

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We are in an older building and the cable for Rogers is pre coax so it doesn’t work with the new technology. 

My only option is dsl unfortunately and my speeds are poor

Older building ... house? Yeah, DSL speeds won't be any different with a reseller. Pre-coax though? We had coax in the 1970s already, I didn't even know Rogers had non-coax connections before that.

You could check skychoice.ca, they do wireless Internet service. May or may not be available for your house. (This is essentially the same tech that the Internet connection for our condo building uses.)

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Older building ... house? Yeah, DSL speeds won't be any different with a reseller. Pre-coax though? We had coax in the 1970s already, I didn't even know Rogers had non-coax connections before that.

You could check skychoice.ca, they do wireless Internet service. May or may not be available for your house. (This is essentially the same tech that the Internet connection for our condo building uses.)

Almost forgot -- packetworks.net is another option for wireless service. We used them for years at my previous company, great support back then at least.