2022-2023 Preseason and season-start predictions

alfredoh2009

I couldn't find a thread for this. Starting one, sorry if I am duplicating

Hey, the author of this article and I agree on a couple of things for pre-season! :)

http://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/is-training-camp-already-showcasing-line-combinations-to-start-the-season/

But I do not agree with the projected season-start lineup... so, for the fun of it, here are my changes.

Not sold on Hoffman playing against opponent's top lines, and I would showcase the pending UFAs:

Dadonov, Drouin, Allen and Monahan ... to a lesser degree Byron

Dadonov – Suzuki – Caufield
Drouin – Dvorak – Anderson

Monahan – Dach - Gallagher (Monahan can take most faceoffs, may switch with Dadonov if he is healthy.

Monahan and Gallagher can also help Dach establish himself)

(*)Hoffman - – Evans – Armia (I like Hoffman, but I would try to showcase the other players.

He can move up the lineup after the trade deadline)
Pitlick (* for finesse), Pezzetta (* for grit)

Matheson – Edmundson (*if not healthy, Barron goes here, and they play less minutes)

Guhle – Savard (* seems like Savard is doing his best Hal Gill impersonation)
Schueneman – Wideman

+ New D they claim on waivers, some examples:

o- Bear or Coghlan from CAR

o- Sean Walker from LAK

o- Poolman, Burroughs, Juulsen from VAN

Allen
Montembault

Edited by alfredoh2009
ficed typo on title

38 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I couldn't find a thread for this. Starting one, sorry if I am duplicating

Hey, the author of this article and I agree on a couple of things for pre-season! :)

http://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/is-training-camp-already-showcasing-line-combinations-to-start-the-season/

But I do not agree with the projected season-start lineup... so, for the fun of it, here are my changes.

Not sold on Hoffman playing against opponent's top lines, and I would showcase the pending UFAs:

Dadonov, Drouin, Allen and Monahan ... to a lesser degree Byron

Dadonov – Suzuki – Caufield
Drouin – Dvorak – Anderson

Monahan – Dach - Gallagher (Monahan can take most faceoffs, may switch with Dadonov if he is healthy.

Monahan and Gallagher can also help Dach establish himself)

(*)Hoffman - – Evans – Armia (I like Hoffman, but I would try to showcase the other players.

He can move up the lineup after the trade deadline)
Pitlick (* for finesse), Pezzetta (* for grit)

Matheson – Edmundson (*if not healthy, Barron goes here, and they play less minutes)

Guhle – Savard (* seems like Savard is doing his best Hal Gill impersonation)
Schueneman – Wideman

+ New D they claim on waivers, some examples:

o- Bear or Coghlan from CAR

o- Sean Walker from LAK

o- Poolman, Burroughs, Juulsen from VAN

Allen
Montembault

I think it's way too early to talk about showcasing UFA's, that can come if/when they are out of the playoff hunt. That would send a pretty bad message to the team to worry about it now.

The focus should be on player development and putting the pieces into the spots where they make the most sense. The pre season should give us a much better indication of where that should be, I suspect they will do a lot of experimenting.  I am sure  Dach will be given every opportunity to prove himself. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think it's way too early to talk about showcasing UFA's, that can come if/when they are out of the playoff hunt. That would send a pretty bad message to the team to worry about it now.

The focus should be on player development and putting the pieces into the spots where they make the most sense. The pre season should give us a much better indication of where that should be, I suspect they will do a lot of experimenting.  I am sure  Dach will be given every opportunity to prove himself. 

I wanted to give feedback to the article author, I do not know his forum user ID

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

I don't think he has registered here yet.

I value the effort and felt feedback would be nice to have. Even if it is only a few potato peels thrown around

thanks!

• alfredoh2009 changed the title to 2022-2023 Preseason and season-start predictions

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/twenty-three-players-cut-from-canadiens-training-camp/c-335942280

Depth chart of remaining players at camp/pre-season:

Left Wing    Centre Right Wing

Caufield
Drouin
Dadonov

Hoffman
R.Pitlick
Pezzetta
Heineman
Slafkovsky
Harvey-Pinard
Gignac

Suzuki
Dvorak
Dach
Evans
Beck
Richard
Schnarr
Simoneau
Stephens

Anderson
Gallagher
Armia
Ylönen
Mesar
Belzile

(*IR)Byron (*IR)Monahan  
Left Defense Right Defense  

Matheson
Guhle
Schueneman
Harris
Xhekaj
Norlinder
Leskinen

Savard
Wideman
Barron
Bowey

(*IR)Edmudson    
Goalie    
Allen
Montembeault
Primeau
Poulin

with tonight's pre-season game against the Sens, I thing these are set forward pairs or trios:

Caufield - Suzuki

Drouin    - Monahan

Dvorak-Gallagher

Pitlick    - Evans

Anderson will be on the top 6 for sure, I do not know where to put Dach if Monahan is healthy.

On D, it seems like Guhle-Savard is a pair and that Schuenenman and Wideman are playing with other partners tonight but that those AHLers will be sent down, putting them back together. It means Matheson will e playing with "the RD to be named later"...

Fun stuff

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/twenty-three-players-cut-from-canadiens-training-camp/c-335942280

Caufield
Drouin
Dadonov

Hoffman
R.Pitlick
Pezzetta
Slafkovsky
Harvey-Pinard

Suzuki
Dvorak
Dach
Evans

Anderson
Gallagher
Ylönen

(*IR)Byron

(*IR)Heineman

(*IR)Monahan (*IR)Armia

Matheson
Guhle
Schueneman
Harris
Xhekaj
Leskinen

Savard
Wideman
Barron
Bowey

(*IR)Edmudson    
Goalie    
Allen
Montembeault
Primeau

Edited by alfredoh2009
removed Schnarr

I think I can at least guess some of the players that will NOT start the season wit the Habs ... note that this is my guess as to what would happen, not my preference or proposal.

Left Wing     Centre Right Wing
Caufield Suzuki Anderson
Drouin Dvorak Gallagher
Dadonov Dach Ylönen
Hoffman Evans  
R.Pitlick Schnarr  
Pezzetta Monahan  
Slafkovsky    
Harvey-Pinard    

(*IR)Byron   (*IR)Armia
(*IR)Heineman    

Left Defence Right Defence  
Matheson Savard  
Guhle Wideman  
Schueneman Barron  
Harris Bowey  
Xhekaj    
Leskinen    

(*IR)Edmundson    

Goal    
Allen    
Montembeault    
Primeau    

That still leaves some hard choices up front and on LD. I'll assume Armia will be back (did not look so bad), Byron and Edmundson will not, and Heineman will be in Laval.

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think I can at least guess some of the players that will NOT start the season wit the Habs ... note that this is my guess as to what would happen, not my preference or proposal.

[...]

you missed Ylonen, who is still waiver exempt. If Dach or Monahan can play on the top line, pushing the RWs down, that would solve the congestion at FW

I would like the Habs to pick someone on waivers or to make a trade for a RD that can play 16min+ and defend. A shut down RD

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

you missed Ylonen, who is still waiver exempt. If Dach or Monahan can play on the top line, pushing the RWs down, that would solve the congestion at FW

I would like the Habs to pick someone on waivers or to make a trade for a RD that can play 16min+ and defend. A shut down RD

You are right, I think Ylonen is unlikely to start the season with the Habs.

I don't foresee a trade coming before the start of the regular season. At the moment they'll be optimizing for the in-season LTIR cap limit.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

You are right, I think Ylonen is unlikely to start the season with the Habs.

I don't foresee a trade coming before the start of the regular season. At the moment they'll be optimizing for the in-season LTIR cap limit.

Agree about the trades ... for no particular reason I have a feeling that Jake Evans might be the first player to get moved ... not immediately or to "dump him" ... but I could see a team deciding he fits a need at a reasonable AAV and offer fair value.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Agree about the trades ... for no particular reason I have a feeling that Jake Evans might be the first player to get moved ... not immediately or to "dump him" ... but I could see a team deciding he fits a need at a reasonable AAV and offer fair value.

He definitely is a great player for his AAV. As such, I'd only move him for a great return (like or close to what we got for Lekhonen).

(X) are waiver exempt players

Caufield
Drouin
Dadonov

Hoffman
R.Pitlick
Pezzetta
Slafkovsky(X)
Harvey-Pinard(X)

Suzuki
Monahan
Dvorak

Dach
Evans

Anderson
Gallagher
Ylönen(X)

(*IR)Byron

(*IR)Heineman(X)

(*IR)Armia

Matheson
Guhle(X)
Schueneman
Harris(X)
Xhekaj(X)

Leskinen(X)

Savard
Wideman
Bowey

Barron(X)

(*IR)Edmudson    
Goalie    
Allen
Montembeault
Primeau(X)

11 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Down to 13 non-eligible (non-injured) forwards and Four non-eligible D-men -- excluding Bowey.

I am starting to think Bowey will stay with the team because loosing him on waivers would make a difficult situation worse.

He has some NHL experience...

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am starting to think Bowey will stay with the team because loosing him on waivers would make a difficult situation worse.

Perhaps more importantly ... if they determine that Harris and Barron are not yet quite ready ... and can't find a better (if still not good) veteran place-holder on waivers, then they may be more willing to "sacrifice" Bowey than to be premature in giving a true prospect real ice-time. 

If it were up to me today (and day to day injuries are good to go)

Drouin-Suzuki-Caufield

Dadonov-Dvorak-Gallagher

Dach-Monohan-Anderson

Hoffman-Evans-Armia

Matheson-Bowey

Guhle-Savard

Xhejak-Wideman

With Eddy:

Edmundson-Savard

Matheson-Bowey

Guhle-Wideman

Allen

Monty

PP1: CC-Suzi-Hoff

Wideman-Drouin

PP2: Andy (Gally) -Mono-Dach

Mattheson-Guhle 

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Think you’re right.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Perhaps more importantly ... if they determine that Harris and Barron are not yet quite ready ... and can't find a better (if still not good) veteran place-holder on waivers, then they may be more willing to "sacrifice" Bowey than to be premature in giving a true prospect real ice-time. 

Agreed.

A few worthwhile quotes from a long (and worthwhile) Kent Hughes article today in the Athletic, relevant to the pre-season decisions ...

“Everybody seems to be caught up with who’s going to start (the season in Montreal), who’s not going to start, but it’s a fluid process. It’s a day-to day-thing,” said Hughes, who is trying to avoid being overly influenced by what happens in the short window of one training camp.

(...)

“We’re not going to go and bring somebody in to make us slightly better on the blue line,” Hughes said. “We’ll bring somebody in to help put our young Ds in the right position to develop.”

(...)

“We’re watching the organizations we know that have too many defencemen, that aren’t going to be able to get into a 23-man roster without exposing somebody, and at the same time, we’re trying to continue to watch our players,” Hughes said. “Again, it’s game by game; a player has a really good game, then he starts to drop off the next game. I hate to make too many reads off one game, but if I’m uncertain with a young player, the better solution is the American Hockey League than forcing them into this.”

(...)

“I think our coach values both of those players, maybe more so than the media would, so we’re going to continue to watch and see how they perform and how they fit within the group and fit within the potential alternatives in terms of people pushing. I know Marty thinks Joel has more to give offensively and he’s hopeful that he’s going to be able to go and get that out of him. And I think he thinks of Hoffman as a hockey sense guy, and I think Mike Hoffman always was thought of as a shooter/goalscorer. And I see what he sees in Mike.”

Anyone that wants to read for himself, I do have some 30-day guest passes to the Athletic left, just send me a PM.

Well, after those two games against OTT, and some lackluster play from some players. Here is what I would like to see:

Caufield – Suzuki – Dach (I would prefer to see Dach here than on a 3rd line)
Drouin – Dvorak – Anderson (these three have been so-so in the games I've watched)

Slafkovsky - Monahan - Gallagher (third line minutes may be right for Monahan and Gallagher, Slafkovsky has played better lately)

Pitlick – Evans – Pezzetta

Hoffman, Dadonov (Dadonov disappointed me, these two players cannot play on the 4th line)

IR: Armia, LTIR: Byron

Guhle – Savard
Matheson – Kovacevic (*I hope he is better than what the Habs have)

Schueneman – Wideman

Bowey

IR: Edmundson

Allen

Montembault

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Well, after those two games against OTT, and some lackluster play from some players. Here is what I would like to see:

I like the lineup and the thought process, but would flip Dach and Monahan ... I want to see Dach at centre and the wing would take some stress off Monahan's hips (less skating), at least to start the season.

Compared to what CapFriendly shows as the NHL roster (when I checked at least, I expect it to be fluid for a few days), it adds Guhle, Kovacevic and Bowey, while demoting Harris and Barron ... my quick math puts that lineup a smidge more than $350K over the cap, even after LTIRing Price ... if Byron goes on LTIR that then wastes potential LTIR space by using a $3.4M contract on LTIR to "fix" the $350K-ish overage ... absent any trade for a $3M-ish player I expect that Byron starts the season on IR and Pezetta gets waived OR Slafkovsky demoted.