2022-2023 Preseason and season-start predictions

alfredoh2009

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Compared to what CapFriendly shows as the NHL roster (when I checked at least, I expect it to be fluid for a few days), it adds Guhle, Kovacevic and Bowey, while demoting Harris and Barron ... my quick math puts that lineup a smidge more than $350K over the cap, even after LTIRing Price ... if Byron goes on LTIR that then wastes potential LTIR space by using a $3.4M contract on LTIR to "fix" the $350K-ish overage ... absent any trade for a $3M-ish player I expect that Byron starts the season on IR and Pezetta gets waived OR Slafkovsky demoted.

By LTIR'ing Price, they're not just going to be a few hundred thousand over the cap, they'll be a few hundred thousand below their ACSL (accrued cap space limit) which is separate.  They're $10 million over the cap no matter what.  Putting Byron on LTIR is basically a necessity at this point just to give them space for recalls if someone gets hurt.

Yeah, I'm sure the Byron LTIR (which I think it likely) will come after the season starts. I'm sure Hugo's team has the optimum cap usage plan worked out for the season opener so that the LTIR cap space is maximized. Once the season starts and Byron is on LTIR, there will be much more flexibility.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Since the preseason stats aren't the easiest to find, here's a screenshot of them from the media site if anyone's interested.

Thanks! Those save percentages are grim reading ... maybe they should just sign Poulin to an NHL contract! 😮

Players with 5+ games: Caufield, Guhle, Evans, Pitlick, Barron, Dach, Wideman, Slafkovsky, Pezzetta, Xhekaj, Harris. I expect that they were evaluating what kind of roles Evans, Pitlick and Wideman can play, but Caufield -- were they just giving him more ice time? Or giving other people evaluations next to Caufield?

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Compared to what CapFriendly shows as the NHL roster (when I checked at least, I expect it to be fluid for a few days), it adds Guhle, Kovacevic and Bowey, while demoting Harris and Barron ...

With the arrival of Kovacevic, Bowey has now been put on waivers, along with Schueneman.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

With the arrival of Kovacevic, Bowey has now been put on waivers, along with Schueneman.

I saw that. Good news for Harris ? 

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I saw that. Good news for Harris ? 

Doesn't mean much at this point necessarily.  The roster that gets submitted Monday will be for cap-optimization purposes, not necessarily the group that will be on the team on Wednesday.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Doesn't mean much at this point necessarily.  The roster that gets submitted Monday will be for cap-optimization purposes, not necessarily the group that will be on the team on Wednesday.

Who will be the 6 d on Wed?

Matheson/Savard/Wideman/Guhle/ &...?

That's five rookies on the opening roster: Slafkovsky, Guhle, Harris, Kovacevic and Xhekaj -- and an average age of 26.2, according to CapFriendly.

Only Allen, Dadonov, Gallagher, Hoffman, Savard and Wideman (on the active roster) are over 30.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's five rookies on the opening roster: Slafkovsky, Guhle, Harris, Kovacevic and Xhekaj -- and an average age of 26.2, according to CapFriendly.

Only Allen, Dadonov, Gallagher, Hoffman, Savard and Wideman (on the active roster) are over 30.

Habs will be this year's Senators/Sabres/Redwings loosing more than they win and giving lots of minutes in all situations to the rookies.

ADDING: And none of those veterans are elite

It i snot what I would have done; but now that we are in full re-build mode for the first time in 30 years (or more), I hope the Habs embrace it fully: and that they tank hard for Bedard.

Edited by alfredoh2009
adding note on veterans

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

... I hope the Habs embrace it fully: and that they tank hard for Bedard.

Yahoo Sports has the Habs 5th in Who's in prime position to secure Connor Bedard?

Seems about right ... behind Seattle, Arizona, Philadelphia and CHICAGO ... but calling their rankings into quesyion is that they give honourable mentions to the San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks, Buffalo Sabres and Ottawa Senators ... Senators but not the Red Wings ... THAT seems off

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Yahoo Sports has the Habs 5th in Who's in prime position to secure Connor Bedard?

Seems about right ... behind Seattle, Arizona, Philadelphia and CHICAGO ... but calling their rankings into quesyion is that they give honourable mentions to the San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks, Buffalo Sabres and Ottawa Senators ... Senators but not the Red Wings ... THAT seems off

Aren’t the Sens poised to take a big jump this season? Lots of good young talent there, and the addition of DeBrincat is major. I haven’t made a study of them, but to me the question is how good they can be, not whether they’re in the mix for Bédard. 

“Experts,” like NHL UFAs, often go by team reputation more than thoughtful in-depth analysis when assessing teams. 

11 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Aren’t the Sens poised to take a big jump this season? Lots of good young talent there, and the addition of DeBrincat is major. I haven’t made a study of them, but to me the question is how good they can be, not whether they’re in the mix for Bédard. 

“Experts,” like NHL UFAs, often go by team reputation more than thoughtful in-depth analysis when assessing teams. 

to me they have strengthened up front no doubt. They have a good top 9. But, a lot of questions in net and on defence still. 

38 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

to me they have strengthened up front no doubt. They have a good top 9. But, a lot of questions in net and on defence still. 

My original issue was their including Ottawa as an the honourable mention in the race for Bedard but not Detroit ... I agree that Ottawa does still have questions but I believe Detroit has more.

12 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

They still have some dogs that are pretty much untradeable up front - Hoffman, Armia - now it looks like there may not be any hope of Drouin getting his head out of his ass either.

i also wish they had claimed Ingram or someone else rather then going with Montembeault. I doubt if he’d be on the team if he wasn’t French. 

but even with those issues up front, I’d have them around 20-22 if it wasn’t for the absolutely crap defense. Who knows if three of their young dmen have great years they may get to the 20-22 rankings, but that is something you should never count on. 

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

They still have some dogs that are pretty much untradeable up front - Hoffman, Armia - now it looks like there may not be any hope of Drouin getting his head out of his ass either.

i also wish they had claimed Ingram or someone else rather then going with Montembeault. I doubt if he’d be on the team if he wasn’t French. 

but even with those issues up front, I’d have them around 20-22 if it wasn’t for the absolutely crap defense. Who knows if three of their young dmen have great years they may get to the 20-22 rankings, but that is something you should never count on. 

We  were talking about the Sens