Sept. 28, Habs vs Maple Leafs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Montreal

Slafkovsky - Pitlick - Armia (Drouin was supposed to play in Slafkovsky's spot but is sick)

Heineman - Evans - Ylonen

Mesar - Beck - Stephens

Condotta - Schnarr - Bourque

Schueneman - Wideman

Xhekaj - Harris

Leskinen - Barron

Montembeault

Poulin

Toronto

Nylander - Holmberg - Malgin

Robertson - Kerfoot  -Jarnkrok

McMann - Abruzzese - Steeves

Clifford - Douglas - Anderson

Rielly - Benn

Giordano - Brodie

Dahlstrom - Mete

Murray

Kallgren

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Thankfully this one is broadcast on Sportsnet 1 so I get to watch. 

Schueneman - Wideman Might be a preview of our third pairing D to start the season so I can’t wait to watch them. 

Can’t wait to watch Heineman too

I think it is their spots to loose

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Looks like Beck, Mesar, Harris and Barron did something last game to get another look tonight.

My assumption would be if they don’t perform tonight, they could be amongst the first ones sent back down.   

I doubt that... Harris and Barron will be given all of camp and likely last cuts to make this team if they don't.

Beck has been a standout... and Mesar not far behind.

I'm really liking Richard's game

For the first time in a long time (probably since our old core of Pacioretty/ Subban/ Gallagher and Price) I really liked what I saw from our young guys, and I'm really excited to see our youth.  We looked really fast out there, we just need to add a young elite goaltender to this group and they're going to be a fun group to watch over the next 10 years. 

3 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

... Beck has been a standout ...

It will be interesting to see if Beck is signed to his ELC before eventually returning to junior  (I would be in no hurry for them to do so) ... the ONLY reason I can see not to do so would be to keep the "contract slot" open ... but they only have 43 of 50 filled (per CapFriendly)

Don't care if the Habs win ... but I hope they pump several goals past Murray and throw gasoline on the angst fire in TO.

Watching on Sportsnet, Leafs announcers.  Sometimes I wonder if they have a bet to see who can say the dumbest things.  

They just said if they were Sandin, they would be trying to get back in the lineup now because due to injuries, there’s spots available.  As we all know Sandin’s issue is a roster spot, not that the Leafs don’t want to pay him a fair contract.

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Good to see Montembeault is in mid-season form already with one of those 'how did that go in' goals allowed already. 

I actually burst out laughing at his reaction. 

Best forwards: Pitlick, Beck

Best Defence: Harris

Slafkovsky is no where near ready for NHL. His decision making without the puck are poor. You can see his skill and he makes solid decisions in the offensive zone but yikes in his own zone. 

Please start Slafkovsky in Laval 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

It will be interesting to see if Beck is signed to his ELC before eventually returning to junior  (I would be in no hurry for them to do so) ... the ONLY reason I can see not to do so would be to keep the "contract slot" open ... but they only have 43 of 50 filled (per CapFriendly)

Thx for that info because I was definitely wondering how many contract slots they had.  I figured if Beck wasn't signed it would be for that reason.  Beck has looked really impressive but I doubt he'll make it this year though due to the log jam of forwards but he would likely have a really good chance otherwise.  He looks NHL capable. 

Mesar looks really good too, especially his shot.  He's got a super fast release.

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I actually burst out laughing at his reaction. 

Best forwards: Pitlick, Beck

Best Defence: Harris

Slafkovsky is no where near ready for NHL. His decision making without the puck are poor. You can see his skill and he makes solid decisions in the offensive zone but yikes in his own zone. 

Schueneman is having a better games IMHO. Harris in his off-side has been chipping the puck out, cannot make a pass on his backhand 

Mesar made a nifty play in the second

Evans getting crushed on the boards a few times 

Wiseman MIA on Dzone coverage

7 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Schueneman is having a better games IMHO. Harris in his off-side has been chipping the puck out, cannot make a pass on his backhand 

Mesar made a nifty play in the second

Evans getting crushed on the boards a few times 

Wiseman MIA on Dzone coverage

I think Harris is having a tougher second but his positioning and decision making seem good to me. 

I think Mesar might be a future top six with a chance of being a star. He does good things with the opportunities he is given. 

Our PP continues to be an embarrassment. Maybe the second PP

2 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Missed the first. Watched most of the second. 

Mesar looks special. 

yes he does

Beck hasn’t outshined others but I think he is special too

Interesting thought from Mike Johnson resulting from the Leafs losing two defencemen tonight.

For the pre-season it would seem to make some sense

5 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I know Montreal hasn't played many of their top-9 yet, but is anyone else concerned with the lack of offense from kids trying to make the team?

I don’t think they are trying to win per se. The lines are nonsense and the D pairings have been playing all over the place. 

I think they are collecting data to determine each player’s path forward. 

16 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I know Montreal hasn't played many of their top-9 yet, but is anyone else concerned with the lack of offense from kids trying to make the team?

I am not concerned, multiple players are playing on their opposite-side and there is little chemistry. Lots of broken plays.

Saturday should be a better game to evaluate the team, after the cuts

On 9/28/2022 at 8:00 PM, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... Slafkovsky is no where near ready for NHL. His decision making without the puck are poor. You can see his skill and he makes solid decisions in the offensive zone but yikes in his own zone. 

I can't say I can imagine Bergevin being this honest/direct:

“We’ll see how he progresses. I thought his two exhibition games were a little underwhelming for him,” said Hughes. “But the two rookie games in Buffalo, he was great ... We’ve got to do what’s right for him ... we said when we drafted him, we weren’t looking for the best 18-year-old, we were looking for the best NHL player down the road, and I don’t think we do that without making the best decision for him, whether it’s the popular decision or not, we’re going to do what we believe is right.”

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Is there a chance HuGo believe what’s best is playing in the NHL?

I don’t believe Slafkovsky is comfortable with ice size yet. He plays incredibly shy and indecisive without the puck. It genuinely looks like he is unsure what to do. 

Thats why I want him in Laval. To learn the NHL ice and get comfortable with it. Mesar is more NHL ready but he should be in Laval too. 

The excitement about Slafkovsky for me are the passing skills and his puck skills - both were demonstrated in the rookie tournament at very high levels.