Habs vs Jets 7:00pm Sept 29 2022

DON

Dach won 9 of 15 faceoffs on the night. A very small sample, but at least it's not embarrassing.

Heineman 92% xGA%, Caufield 87%, Gallagher 65% (and seven high-danger chances!), Dach 59%.

Norlinder saw 11 scoring chances against; after three games he sure looks like the biggest disappointment of the camp so far.

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Norlinder saw 11 scoring chances against; after three games he sure looks like the biggest disappointment of the camp so far.

Well, he best pick up his play in Laval this fall.

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/09/schmidts-late-goal-sinks-habs/

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Dach won 9 of 15 faceoffs on the night. A very small sample, but at least it's not embarrassing.

Heineman 92% xGA%, Caufield 87%, Gallagher 65% (and seven high-danger chances!), Dach 59%.

On Norlinder, he showed good offensive instincts, a better version of Wideman and room to improve

On the 😧

Guhle is the real deal and Xhekaj seems like a great depth D that may become as good as Chiarot if he can keep improving. I do not remember much of Trudeau

On Fs:

I am so glad for Gallagher. Caufield looks great! I liked Dadonov, even if he seemed to turnover the puck a few times too many. The Dvorak line showed good potential. Dach is much better than I though, I like him.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

On Norlinder, he showed good offensive instincts, a better version of Wideman and room to improve

On the 😧

Guhle is the real deal and Xhekaj seems like a great depth D that may become as good as Chiarot if he can keep improving. I do not remember much of Trudeau

On Fs:

I am so glad for Gallagher. Caufield looks great! I liked Dadonov, even if he seemed to turnover the puck a few times too many. The Dvorak line showed good potential. Dach is much better than I though, I like him.

I didn't see the game but not surprised about Caulfield, he is a beast. Glad to hear Dach looked good. He is an important piece.  And my man Arber, I have been pounding the table on his attributes, seems like he realizes that he doesn't have to prove he is tough all the time, he just needs to prove that he can play a smart disciplined game to play in the NHL and I think he knows that. 

4 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

You all better start practicing the proper pronunciation of Xhekaj..

This kid is legit.  

I'm still upset that it doesn't rhyme with wreckage.  I honestly have no idea why some people here have said that he'll never make it.  I think he's pretty good but I disagree with the Chiarot comparisons.  He'll be a lot better dman and he can throw real solid punches. 

Dadonov did make several gaffs and 1 caused a goal but he looked really good otherwise and had several good scoring chances.  What his xGA%?  Also, I thought he made Caufield look even more dangerous when they played together.

I'm still undecided on Dach, but the other game he looked good with Pitlick.

Dach looked pretty underwhelming until the 3rd period.  He started to do a lot of good things in the 3rd.  He used his reach a lot to take space.  He showed flashes of good hands and good instincts. 

I'm chalking Dadanov up to rust.  While it appeared he did some good things, he blew a lot of good chances.  Looked to pass when he should of shot, whiffed on the puck a few times when he did try to shoot.  I won't hold the last goal against him, he got his stick in front of the puck and 9/10 times the shot deflects wide of the net by doing that. 

Xhekaj was physical and made some good offensive plays when he was given the chance.  I don't see him going back to Laval, he will be 6th/7th defenseman in Montreal, unless he regresses. 

I do have to say Guhle was better this game.  You didn't notice him much and when you did, it was for something good. For a defenseman, if you don't notice them, generally that's a positive thing.  The penalty he took against Dubois was a sketchy call at best.

Norlinder looked lost in his own zone.  He looked far more comfortable in the offensive zone.  He needs to shore up his defensive zone play to make it in the NHL.  From what he's shown so far this preseason, he's a liability in his own zone.

I did like Gignac's game.  Never heard of him before tonight.  He reminded me of Richard from the New Jersey game.  He was always buzzing around the puck carrier in Winnipeg's zone, putting on some real good forechecking pressure.

Primeau let in another squeeky goal on his post.  I defended the last one, but it's starting to look like a habit. 

1 minute ago, TurdBurglar said:

[...]

I did like Gignac's game.  Never heard of him before tonight.  He reminded me of Richard from the New Jersey game.  He was always buzzing around the puck carrier in Winnipeg's zone, putting on some real good forechecking pressure.

I followed Laval at the end of last season and most of the playoff. Gignac was one of the better forwards for Laval, showing intensity and speed.

1 hour ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I'm still upset that it doesn't rhyme with wreckage.  I honestly have no idea why some people here have said that he'll never make it.  I think he's pretty good but I disagree with the Chiarot comparisons.  He'll be a lot better dman and he can throw real solid punches. 

Dadonov did make several gaffs and 1 caused a goal but he looked really good otherwise and had several good scoring chances.  What his xGA%?  Also, I thought he made Caufield look even more dangerous when they played together.

I'm still undecided on Dach, but the other game he looked good with Pitlick.

There is no way Xhekaj belongs in the NHL. Certainly not if all he can be is a 6/7 dman at his age. Let him go to Laval. Get lots of minutes, round out his game, and show he should be called up. We’ve made the mistake of rushing too many young dmen.

11 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

...and Xhekaj seems like a great depth D that may become as good as Chiarot if he can keep improving...

Chiarot was drafted in 2009 and his 1st full NHL season wasnt till 2015-16, just as comparable.

But, who knows as every player is different and if he is quick enough, avoids costly penalties (anger management) and can defend well in the AHL? Next week rosters will be bit more telling.

Great to hear Caufield was putting pucks on net and Gallagher got his typical short range goal.:clap:

and Heineman looked good they say.

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/09/29/montreal-canadiens-prospects-continue-to-shine-despite-loss-to-jets/

Chiarot wasn't even that good, but he could play top four without embarrassing himself. Assuming a prospect will become "a lot better" than him before playing a single AHL regular season game, never mind the NHL, is absolute foolishness. 

On 9/29/2022 at 9:18 PM, GHT120 said:

I actually disagree with the 4:00 minute penalty ... when Caufield entered into contact with the Jet, CC ran into the stick and IMO caused the "slash" ... no way of knowing if there is a slash absent that.

When I saw that play I thought for sure that the refs were discussing giving CC a penalty too.  It wasnt exactly a pic per se, but it was very similar looking type of play.  I figured they would give Cole a penalty for stopping when he did because he really had no reason to stop when he did.  Well, other than the player tailing Dvorak would skate into him so Dvorak could go straight to the net (had he not been high sticked).