Jake Allen extension

GHT120

Montreal Canadiens (have) agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension with goaltender Jake Allen (until the end of the 2024-25 season). The deal has an average annual value of $3.85 million.

Overall good news ... while he seemed like an attractive rental at the deadline next March, goalies never seem to bring "big" returns ... and, it brings some stability to the goalie position going forward ... also, the AAV is reasonable so Allen may still attract offers for HuGo to consider.

Amongst goalies who played 20+ games last season, $3.85 would pace him 25th in AAV this season if it kicked in immediately.

Like I said in another thread, we need a competent warm body at G to tide us over until Price’s proper successor appears. Allen is that. I just hope he can remain healthy as he enters his mid-30s.

The 2-year window also reminds us that the clock is ticking on the goalie situation. Presumably the franchise hopes to be emerging as a serious force within about three years. Well, we’ll need a goaltender, and we seem not to have any in the system, unless we consider Dichow a dark horse. https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-2022-goalie-prospect-rankings/

33 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Like I said in another thread, we need a competent warm body at G to tide us over until Price’s proper successor appears. Allen is that. I just hope he can remain healthy as he enters his mid-30s.

The 2-year window also reminds us that the clock is ticking on the goalie situation. Presumably the franchise hopes to be emerging as a serious force within about three years. Well, we’ll need a goaltender, and we seem not to have any in the system, unless we consider Dichow a dark horse. https://thehockeywriters.com/canadiens-2022-goalie-prospect-rankings/

Tristian Jarry and Anthony Stolarz are UFAs next summer ... they will be 28 and 29 years old respectively to start the 23-24 season ... Jarry is more experienced (159 games, 2.57 GAA, .915 Sv%) than Stolarz (62gm, 2.73, .915) but both might be of interest depending how they perform this season ... career numbers comparable to Allen (353, 2.60, .911) albeit it far fewer games, but 4-5 years younger ... Jarry may be caught in Pittsburgh's recently never ending goalie carousel, and Anaheim is stuck with Josh Gibson for 4 years beyond this season at $6.4M, so they may be limited in what they can offer Stolarz.

With Spencer Knight having signed an extension, Jeremy Swayman and Stuart Skinner are currently the "biggest names" on next summer's RFA market (based on limited NHL performance), but that could obviously change over the course of this season.

EDIT: Context added - italicized

1 minute ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Two year term is great and the salary is decent as well. 

The Habs do have to solve the goalie issue going forward. I don’t want us to be UFA goalie hunters 

They may not have a choice ... in the short-term, unless Primeau becomes a legit, playoff-contending NHL-starter ... and I am as yet unconvinced.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They may not have a choice ... in the short-term, unless Primeau becomes a legit, playoff-contending NHL-starter ... and I am as yet unconvinced.

Yeah I was thinking Primeau was a sure thing but he just can’t compete in the NHL and I’m now of the opinion that he is a career AHL or a backup in the NHL. 

We need our scouts to find a gem

21 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Yes ... we may be stuck with a 1B/1C situation for now, with Allen plus Primeau/Montembeault (can one of them up their game?) until we have a younger goaltender ready to step up.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes ... we may be stuck with a 1B/1C situation for now, with Allen plus Primeau/Montembeault (can one of them up their game?) until we have a younger goaltender ready to step up.

Because I expect HuGo will tilt the development/winning balance more towards "the right" in 23/24, I suspect that next summer will be "fish or cut bait" time for HuGo with respect to their goaltending plans ... if Primeau hasn't shown he is ready to be #1 on a playoff-contender, or VERY close to being so, then the Habs will explore options ... they will then not likely be able to wait for Dobes or Vrbetic to develop ... Dichow is the wild-card, but having only played 1 of Frolunda's first 5 games this season he doesn't currently seem likely to make a huge jump.

24 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The breakdown including the trade protection:

It would be fun to know which teams motivated the NTC ... it is also important to note that his current contract does not have any trade protection ... so until "July 1st" (unless the "seasonal - switchover" is again deferred) technically HuGo can trade him ... although they strike me as the kind of guys who would informally respect the 23/24 NTC.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Its not just Dichow. 

Goalies are voodoo and we don't know which one will develop. See lundqvist, Halak, and a number of late picks that came out. 

The hope is one of Dobes (who i think is the best right now), Primeau, Dichow, Vrbetic, Croteau develops.  There isn't one option, there are five right now, plus I expect them to keep taking one goalie prospect per draft. 

Any thoughts on Thomas Milic (Seattle Thunderbirds)? Did he go undrafted just because of his size? He seems to be one of the top goalies in the WHL and yet went undrafted twice, and didn't get signed from the Wild training camp.

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Any thoughts on Thomas Milic (Seattle Thunderbirds)? Did he go undrafted just because of his size? He seems to be one of the top goalies in the WHL and yet went undrafted twice, and didn't get signed from the Wild training camp.

Yeah, teams shy away from small goalies unless they are super, super special. 

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, teams shy away from small goalies unless they are super, super special. 

In the not-too-distant past, 6' wasn't tiny. There was a guy by the name of Roy who was the same height ... it's crazy how much teams focus on tall goalies now.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

In the not-too-distant past, 6' wasn't tiny. There was a guy by the name of Roy who was the same height ... it's crazy how much teams focus on tall goalies now.

Yeah, Roy was drafted in 1983.  

Size has changed a lot, and its not just goalies though.  How many guys were 6'6 and bigger in 1983 vs now. 

Speaking of tall goalies, whatever happened to the Peterborough Petes goalie that the Habs drafted who was as least 6'7" and was still growing as far as I know.  He was a crazy long shot but I've never heard anything about him since. 

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Speaking of tall goalies, whatever happened to the Peterborough Petes goalie that the Habs drafted who was as least 6'7" and was still growing as far as I know.  He was a crazy long shot but I've never heard anything about him since. 

Missaien?

He was a bust, he had the same issue that many tall goalies have, weak five hole... as well as the issue many young goalies have, weak rebound control. 

he was always a project but never worked out. 

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Missaien?

He was a bust, he had the same issue that many tall goalies have, weak five hole... as well as the issue many young goalies have, weak rebound control. 

he was always a project but never worked out. 

Thanks!!  Ya, thats him.  I wasnt sure what year he was drafted - 2008.  I thought the Habs drafted him with their last pic that year but they took him in the 4th rnd (116th).  I always wondered what happend to him because I've never heard anything about him since they drafted him.  He's 32 now and fizzled out the French Liga in 16/17.