Oct. 1, Canadiens vs Senators, 7 PM

dlbalr

The Habs are getting a little bit closer to an NHL-level lineup, with maybe half a dozen forwards and 3-5 defencemen likely to stay with the club. Let's see if they can play any better and actually pull out a pre-season win tonight.

Primeau in goal again, I think they really want to see what he can do. And Poulin, who has gone more than seven years since his last NHL start!

12 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

No slafkovsky?

Not travelling to Ottawa.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/pregame-lines-and-defense-pairings-at-morning-skate-october-1/c-335940264

Game lineup (traveling to Ottawa)
LW C RW
27 - Jonathan Drouin 62 - Owen Beck 68 - Mike Hoffman
32 - Rem Pitlick 71 - Jake Evans 40 - Joel Armia
55 - Michael Pezzetta 48 - Filip Mesar 56 - Jesse Ylonen
49 - Rafael Harvey-Pinard 13 - Mitchell Stephens 90 - Anthony Richard
LD RD G
8 - Mike Matheson 52 - Justin Barron 30 - Cayden Primeau
21 - Kaiden Guhle 6 - Chris Wideman 95 - Kevin Poulin
54 - Jordan Harris 47 - Otto Leskinen

Leskinen with a nice rush. He seems much better the a few years back when he played a few games with the Habs

Guhle is such a treat to watch. I am very impressed by him and look forward to seeing him develop into a top pairing LD in the league 

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am looking at Zaitsev to see if he is a RD the Habs should target in a trade 

Zaitsev is shit.  The sens want to dump his salary. 

if we can dump Armia as you suggested, then yes, I would do that, just to have one year less of the contract. 

But I don't expect anything at all out of Zaitsev other than to be a placeholder. 

I'd also do the trade cause we have a surplus of wingers and not enough RD so its good to move those place holders around to where we need them.  That said Zaitsev is nothing more than a place holder while kids develop. 

If its not a salary dump for us too, then I don't want Zaitsev.  

I have to say, each time I see Beck, I come away thinking that he looks like an NHL player already.  There's a logjam but it feels like he's going to make it hard to send him down.  I also like what I've seen from Mesar so far tonight.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

I have to say, each time I see Beck, I come away thinking that he looks like an NHL player already.  There's a logjam but it feels like he's going to make it hard to send him down.  I also like what I've seen from Mesar so far tonight.

I love Beck. He does all the little things right. 

That said, I would reward him with his ELC and send him back to Mississauga.  Let him be a number 1 centre in the OHL and develop his offensive game a bit more.  Its a league where he can take chances that he wouldn't be allowed to in the NHL. 

Mesar is a bit different cause he can go to the AHL where Beck can't, but I'd still send him to Kitchener under the same theory. 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I love Beck. He does all the little things right. 

That said, I would reward him with his ELC and send him back to Mississauga.  Let him be a number 1 centre in the OHL and develop his offensive game a bit more.  Its a league where he can take chances that he wouldn't be allowed to in the NHL. 

Mesar is a bit different cause he can go to the AHL where Beck can't, but I'd still send him to Kitchener under the same theory. 

Agreed all around.  I want Beck to go back but he's going to drag this out close to the end of camp which is quite impressive.

16 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Zaitsev is shit.  The sens want to dump his salary. 

if we can dump Armia as you suggested, then yes, I would do that, just to have one year less of the contract. 

But I don't expect anything at all out of Zaitsev other than to be a placeholder. 

I'd also do the trade cause we have a surplus of wingers and not enough RD so its good to move those place holders around to where we need them.  That said Zaitsev is nothing more than a place holder while kids develop. 

If its not a salary dump for us too, then I don't want Zaitsev.  

I do not know anything of Zaitsiev besides the stats 

So, I want to watch him play to learn more about him

If he is a “David Savard” then the trade makes sense. If he is worse than Alzner then obviously no

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not know anything of Zaitsiev besides the stats 

So, I want to watch him play to learn more about him

If he is a “David Savard” then the trade makes sense. If he is worse than Alzner then obviously no

He's better than Alzner but not as good as Savard, and I don't think Savard is that good. 

Again, the only way I take him is if the Sens are taking Armia or Hoffman. 

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

... That said, I would reward him with his ELC and send him back to Mississauga ...

Agreed ... ***IF*** somehow the roster allows, keep him around for a few days (even if he doesn't play) so he can get a pay cheque and get a little feel for the "real NHL". 

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... ***IF*** somehow the roster allows, keep him around for a few days (even if he doesn't play) so he can get a pay cheque and get a little feel for the "real NHL". 

That's a big if unless a few players get hurt over the last few games (and with three in a row against Ottawa starting on Tuesday, that could happen as tempers flare).

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's a big if unless a few players get hurt over the last few games (and with three in a row against Ottawa starting on Tuesday, that could happen as tempers flare).

Agreed ... I should have increased the font size to really emphasize that ... 😄

Didn't the guys get Pitlick's message ... he REALLY didn't want O/T ... he left a pot roast in his slo-cooker at home and needs to get home

11 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I feel bad for Primeau.  Despite the five goals allowed, he had a decent game and just didn't have much help in front of him.

Three power play goals ... the Sens' power play looked very good. Primeau was decent, as you said, but I thought he wasn't tested that severely -- which is admittedly pretty much what happens in pre-season.

8 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Primeau not so primo as we’d hoped, at best a backup NHL’er behind a 60 start stud. 
Nothing else worth noting, Evans will score again in December. 

A post worthy of your moniker 👍 Keep bringing the realism, mon ami