Hockey Canada Fiasco

hockeyrealist

Looking for opinions on this story.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/article-hockey-canada-created-a-fund-for-sexual-assault-claims-documents/

It had been disturbing for some time, but the recent news of a second hush fund to settle legal claims that was kept secret during all of these past proceedings has me quite incensed.

To know my youth hockey registration fees and now my families children's registration fees have been stashed away to keep creepy activity quiet is disturbing.

To think they kept a second fund quiet during all of these interrogations, interviews, public hearing and grandstanding is amazing to me. That Hockey Canada leadership would attempt to pull this off while also stating they are confident that they have leadership who can oversee cultural change and a positive transition is a joke.

I see no way for this organization to redeem themselves, I will never trust the entity again. I think they have tarnished a national sport, should be dismantled, all executives black balled from hockey and believe our national teams should all be shut down for at least two years while hockey Canada is rebranded, re established and re-funded by corporate money.  

All corporate sponsorship, zero player fees going towards anything but hockey.  Maybe not charge players period, again let these corporate asshats who want their names associated with youth sports to step up. Between the branding of arenas, jerseys, helmets, commercials there is zero need to charge a struggling family a blanket “registration” fee when we all

know where that money ended up.  Let the corporations earn their good will and lifetime brand awareness with the kids by finding it all.

All current money put back into youth hockey/access for minorities&under privileged kids.

The establishment has festered cancer that can only be cured with compete removal of the tumour, eradicate the mass of human turds that have ruined a national treasure, had the gall to stand up and say they could right this ship while hiding another slush fund the whole time, shame on them.  
The Hockey Canada brand has been forever tarnished and time to hold these executives accountable.   All of them should be gone, entity dismantled and rebuilt without full time executives earning a living off of a kids sport since they’ve proven they cannot be trusted.

• Like 1

Dont think anyone would disagree.

Obviously are numerous folks whose heads should role.

And still would like to see what exactly the $$ has swept under the carpet over the years, all come clean and those players involved exposed. 

As a parent who was overcharged for years to help fund this, I want my money back! 

How about full disclosure? Open up the books, make them public and show us exactly what was done with the funds we contributed?

2 hours ago, DON said:

Dont think anyone would disagree.

Obviously are numerous folks whose heads should role.

And still would like to see what exactly the $$ has swept under the carpet over the years, all come clean and those players involved exposed. 

The financial trail is a great point, would like to see an audit of what was collected, set aside and spent over the years. Including executive salaries and the hush money.

I’m surprised more reporters haven’t done research into the recent stories involving world junior teams for example.  In these cases  the rosters are known, there are players who’ve stated they know nothing, some others who say they didn’t participate, there were witnesses though,  some who’ve been silent. Would love to see a list comparing them, who has gone on to lucrative careers?

Obviously lots more incidents including staff, coaches but some of these specific cases are in the spotlight.

Was astounded with the developments reported this morning and was admittedly blowing off some steam.  Will stop ranting now.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Every member of management should be fired. 

Agreed. BoD should also be fired. 
start over with Sheldon Kennedy as the new leader.

And so it begins?

43 minutes ago, DON said:

Not so fast.

This defiance/ignorance/stupidity may be what triggered the Hockey Quebec vote ... take away "their" money and Hockey Canada will react ... other provinces need to follow.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Tim Hortons pulling sponsorship of Mens teams including world juniors.

Keep.taking money away until all of management is replaced.

I see this debacle as emblematic of deep-seated problems in the culture of North American “leadership” classes. No accountability. Ass-covering. Hypocrisy. A complete vacuum of any sense of responsibility and duty. Ordinary people suffer while they sail along without consequence or any dent in their smugly entitled self-image. Think of the financial crash of 2008.

I’m not sure how we got this way, because, while elites have always inhabited a bubble of privilege, I do believe that there have been eras in the past when some sense of responsibility and duty did have some prominence within our corporate and governing classes. It’s profoundly tragic that regular folks have responded to this systemic pathology by veering toward authoritarianism, ignorance, and utter stupidity, but that’s another story.

Anyway, the ONLY thing these a-holes care about is money. Now that the money is fleeing, I would expect to see heads start rolling.

• Like 1

Canadian Tire out now, citing HC's resistance to change.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I see this debacle as emblematic of deep-seated problems in the culture of North American “leadership” classes. No accountability. Ass-covering. Hypocrisy. A complete vacuum of any sense of responsibility and duty. Ordinary people suffer while they sail along without consequence or any dent in their smugly entitled self-image. Think of the financial crash of 2008.

I’m not sure how we got this way, because, while elites have always inhabited a bubble of privilege, I do believe that there have been eras in the past when some sense of responsibility and duty did have some prominence within our corporate and governing classes. It’s profoundly tragic that regular folks have responded to this systemic pathology by veering toward authoritarianism, ignorance, and utter stupidity, but that’s another story.

The documentary HyperNormalization (on youtube) offers an explanation for this.

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Start with the selection & management of the international teams and build down from there ... find a way to install a caretaker board at the current Hockey Canada to ensure that no more cover-up payments are made but still provide the basic services (e.g., legitimate insurance coverage).

13 hours ago, Commandant said:

Pull everything out of Hockey Canada.  All the money, all the authority, everything. 

Start a new organization with new management called "Canada Hockey" and let them take over. 

Yeah, Justin Trudeau suggested the same thing. I can see Ottawa stepping in to facilitate the transition, then hopefully let the new organization go its own way as the autonomous non-governmental structure Hockey Canada presently is. 

Weird thing about Hockey Canada, it always *felt* like a public, government entity to me, an arm of Sport Canada or something. That shows how deeply imbricated it was into the national narrative. 

Finally had a chance to follow up on this and read recent posts.  

Rather than quote a bunch just to say I agree, thought I’d make a blanket statement.

So many good points and ideas suggested, thanks for the thoughts on this.

This will become a business case of how not to handle a scandal.  They’ve (Hockey Canada) really done themselves no favours in the handling of this.

Scotiabank withdraws sponsorship

New brunswick, newfoundland, nova scotia, quebec and ontario provincial orgs will not forward membership fees to hockey canada.

Alberta demands immediate changes and transparency or they will withhold as well.

Multiple Federal MPs threatening to subpoena records for a house investigation bypassing the court case HC is bringing.

This is endgame.

Hockey Canada deserves to go down.

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, Justin Trudeau suggested the same thing. I can see Ottawa stepping in to facilitate the transition, then hopefully let the new organization go its own way as the autonomous non-governmental structure Hockey Canada presently is. 

Is Hockey Canada federally run or funded? I'm confused at how they could do something like this.

Edit. 6% was federally funded prior to freezing in June. 

Ya not interested in government facilitation of Hockey programs. Help me get a family doctor first.

Still not even a hint of regret or acceptance of responsibility.