Hockey Canada Fiasco

hockeyrealist

13 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Still not even a hint of regret or acceptance of responsibility.

Every one of these dirtbags needs to go - and not just the showcase female either. The entire operation needs to be wiped off the face of the earth. It is a disgrace to the game and a disgrace to the name “Canada.” 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Every one of these dirtbags needs to go - and not just the showcase female either. The entire operation needs to be wiped off the face of the earth. It is a disgrace to the game and a disgrace to the name “Canada.” 

The question is, who is actually making decisions there now, especially since Skinner has now resigned? No one from the outside can dictate what they do, although the sponsors and provincial organizations can certainly exert pressure.

Heard on CBC that there were 9 cases swept under the rug with slush fund and then the latest made an even 10, of boys just being boys and having a fun time.

Thats alot.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Heard on CBC that there were 9 cases swept under the rug with slush fund and then the latest made an even 10, of boys just being boys and having a fun time.

Thats alot.

My question has always been, and remains, what legal exposure did Hockey Canada have that justified spending their money to settle these cases ... the 2018 "incident" happened in hotel rooms paid for by Hockey Canada after a Hockey Canada event ... so I can see justification for partial responsibility by Hockey Canada ... but apparently they also ensured that the victim did not pursue the players ... unless the players involved were financially unable to pay any possible judgement if the case went to court THAT makes no sense to me in terms of responsibility ... hopefully the Parliamentary Committee can dig into that, and the same question for all the other incidents ... it has never struck me as Hockey Canada's job to "protect" the offending players.

EDIT: It is common to sue anyone and everyone related to any sort of incident so that the deeper pockets can pay ... but Hockey Canada should have to prove why the players could not be held responsible.

I'm not sure who they will bring in to replace the outgoing trash, but they need to implement both a code of conduct and a transparent plan for security/supervision at the hotels during tournaments right from the get-go.  It seems ridiculous to me that nothing was in place...that they just let a bunch of 17-19 year-olds do whatever they wanted at events once the games/practices were complete.  If you have access to the hotel floor you are staying on restricted to players/staff only, with 24hr monitoring on the floor, there are no scandals....no need to have a cover-up slush fund, as wrong as it was to have one and sweep things under the rug.  COMMON SENSE for God's sake.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

I'm not sure who they will bring in to replace the outgoing trash ...

At least in the interim, on the hockey side of things I would suggest getting Scotty Bowman involved, at least in the planning; he likely knows everyone ... on the administrative/management side I would suggest inviting Ted Nolan, Sheldon Kennedy and one of Danielle Goyette/Haley Wickenheiser/Kim St-Pierre to sit on the board to add diversity and their perspectives.

On 10/11/2022 at 4:38 PM, DON said:

Thats alot.

Wow, flabbergasted at the extent of covering up.

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

At least in the interim, on the hockey side of things I would suggest getting Scotty Bowman involved, at least in the planning; he likely knows everyone ... on the administrative/management side I would suggest inviting Ted Nolan, Sheldon Kennedy and one of Danielle Goyette/Haley Wickenheiser/Kim St-Pierre to sit on the board to add diversity and their perspectives.

Good suggestions.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:26 AM, GHT120 said:

I would suggest that SOME of that board need to be people not involved in hockey right now. 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I would suggest that SOME of that board need to be people not involved in hockey right now. 

I agree ... the names I suggested were because I seriously doubt that their perspectives were previously part of the Hockey Canada process.