October 4 - Montreal vs Ottawa - 7:00 p.m.

GHT120

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I know pre-season is meaningless, but I am beginning to wonder if my prediction that the Habs would NOT be last overall was “optimistic.” Or pessimistic, depending on your interpretation. 

I would still bet wont be 32nd bad...but down there somewhere it seems highly likely.

How will green-coach St Louis handle 6 months of losing, not just 2 1/2?

13 minutes ago, DON said:

We likely will see more of same for next 6 months.

He simply isnt a very good goalie is he?

"Sam Montembeault, who is being counted on to play 20-30 games as Jake Allen’s backup, gave up five goals on 23 shots."

You say that like, for THIS season, its a bad thing.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

"Sam Montembeault, who is being counted on to play 20-30 games as Jake Allen’s backup, gave up five goals on 23 shots."

You have to take in account that the defence put in front of him isn’t very good either.  I’m not defending Montembeault, it’s just hard for any goalie to shine with the defence that’s been iced thus far.  From the pool of players in the preseason, I don’t foresee it getting any better during the season.

Just now, TurdBurglar said:

You have to take in account that the defence put in front of him isn’t very good either.  I’m not defending Montembeault, it’s just hard for any goalie to shine with the defence that’s been iced thus far.  From the pool of players in the preseason, I don’t foresee it getting any better during the season.

:ph34r::P:ph34r::P:ph34r::P

Monty is perfect for the tank, handicaping the club's record everytime he starts

:ph34r::P:ph34r::P:ph34r::P

BECK has been the best rookie since development camp bar none and has only improved when the competition got better. He deserves it most but unfortunately of all the years we have a standout rookie through all of camp... its when we are deepest at C in the last decade. He will do well now in Sauga with all the confidence going forward.

With Edmundson injured i believe JACK-I and Guhle are both gonna make this team out of camp. There just seems to be more good from these two then bad and surely the mistakes will be less and less.

Matheson Barron

Guhle Savard

Jack-I Wideman

Edmundson* Harris

Scheuneman and Norlinder have really dissapointed and Leskinen has done nothing to grab the open spot

1 hour ago, DON said:

On Tuesday, it was Montembeault with five goals on 23 shots.

On Monday, it was Allen with five goals on 31 shots.

On Saturday, it was Primeau with five goals on 34 shots.

Notice any pattern?

Our defence won't be very good this year (or might be very bad), and it's been worse yet in the pre-season, with the lack of Edmundson and the chances they have given to the young D-men. Five goals a game really isn't surprising.

Hopefully the defence ill stabilize a bit in the regular season.

19 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Notice any pattern?

Our defence won't be very good this year (or might be very bad), and it's been worse yet in the pre-season, with the lack of Edmundson and the chances they have given to the young D-men. Five goals a game really isn't surprising.

Wiser to tank than to play unproven rookies it would be. Yrsssss.

https://e7.pngegg.com/pngimages/238/775/png-clipart-yoda-sticker-telegram-star-wars-decal-star-wars-star-wars-episode-vii-head-thumbnail.png

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Notice any pattern?

I notice the pattern that none of those goalies are Carey Price. Okay, not just him… but mediocre compared to even second tier starting goalies in the NHL.

Defence this, defence that. Fine. Our goaltending is still _____ (nothing nice to say)

If the Habs were to make a hockey trade for a #4 D that can play 2nd pair minutes on the right side, the Habs would be much better.

I do not know Hugh-Gort enough to guess if they would do that. I would, to protect my prospects' development in Laval and buy another year or two for the rebuild

:spamafote: but I've been wrong before :spamafote:

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

You have to take in account that the defence put in front of him isn’t very good either. 

So you think he is an OK back-up goalie on another team?

Seems he lets in softies every start, not counting the ones no goalie would have a chance on.

I very wise goalie once said, something like, "I don't know what all the panic is about, it is preseason". Unfortunately he is sidelined and may not play again.

2 hours ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

I very wise goalie once said, something like, "I don't know what all the panic is about, it is preseason". Unfortunately he is sidelined and may not play again.

Nice reference! Here's the exact quote: Habs' Price to booing fans: 'chill out' | CBC Sports

10 hours ago, DON said:

However; Monty does not = Price and we shouldnt expect him to steal many wins.

But, maybe he is a near average NHL back up?

There are the 41 goalies who have been in the NHL for over the last three seasons (*) ... AND ... who played at least 30 but no more than 90 games (**) ... Sam Montembeault ranks 39th in Sv% in that group ... so without improvement, IMO not an NHL average backup ... in fact, his only professional season with a Sv% above .900 was his 11 games with the Springfield Thunderbirds in 2019-20.

* - Sam Montembeault's NHL career

** - quick and dirty approximation to filter out starting goalies and occasional fill-ins

EDIT: emphasized above ... not all necessarily have been there for all three seasons and too lazy to check one-by-one.

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

There are the 41 goalies who have been in the NHL for the last three seasons (*) ... AND ... who played at least 30 but no more than
90 games (**) ... Sam Montembeault ranks 39th in Sv% in that group ... so without improvement, IMO not an NHL average backup ... in fact, his only professional season with a Sv% above .900 was his 11 games with the Springfield Thunderbirds in 2019-20.

* - Sam Montembeault's NHL career

** - quick and dirty approximation to filter out starting goalies and occasional fill-ins

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/10/05/backup-goalie-wanted-hello-anyone/

bits on the goalies

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/10/writers-weigh-in-discussing-allens-extension/

9 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Based on pre-season, I could see Montembault in Laval and Primeau starting the year in Montreal.

I wouldnt have an issue with that as long as the plan is to give Primeau 30 games.

Respectfully disagree ... behind this defence corps I have no confidence that Primeau would continue to develop ... and he is FAR from "fully-cooked" IMO.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Based on pre-season, I could see Montembault in Laval and Primeau starting the year in Montreal.

I wouldnt have an issue with that as long as the plan is to give Primeau 30 games.

I'm starting to lean towards my Plan A being those two being the tandem in Laval and the Habs picking up someone off waivers to be the backup.  Connor Ingram might be the odd one out in Nashville with them signing Kevin Lankinen and he'd be a younger guy worth taking a chance on.

8 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'm starting to lean towards my Plan A being those two being the tandem in Laval and the Habs picking up someone off waivers to be the backup.  Connor Ingram might be the odd one out in Nashville with them signing Kevin Lankinen and he'd be a younger guy worth taking a chance on.

Neither Primeau or Montembeault has laid much of a claim on the 1B (or 2B!) goalie spot so far. Your Plan A would make sense -- if they want to win some games.

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Neither Primeau or Montembeault has laid much of a claim on the 1B (or 2B!) goalie spot so far. Your Plan A would make sense -- if they want to win some games.

It also works if they've given up on any hope of Montembeault being an NHL goalie.  Frankly, that's a conclusion that they should have already arrived at.  If there's a goalie (like Ingram who's pretty young still) out there, they could claim him in the eye of seeing if he can develop into something decent.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

It also works if they've given up on any hope of Montembeault being an NHL goalie.  Frankly, that's a conclusion that they should have already arrived at.  If there's a goalie (like Ingram who's pretty young still) out there, they could claim him in the eye of seeing if he can develop into something decent.

But the question is whether a young goalie can develop properly behind this abomination of a defence. Maybe the guy we want back there is in fact the guy we’ve given up on - let him suffer the shell shock, and leave your young G in an environment where they actually have a chance to succeed.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

He had a bad 20/21 season but other than that, he has had four very decent AHL/ECHL seasons.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

But the question is whether a young goalie can develop properly behind this abomination of a defence. Maybe the guy we want back there is in fact the guy we’ve given up on - let him suffer the shell shock, and leave your young G in an environment where they actually have a chance to succeed.

I agree, Montembeault is the right goalie for this