Mailloux signed to ELC

alfredoh2009

MB and TT are probably smiling in their coffee this morning. good for the kid

I have high hopes for Logan, and if he pans out he might be one of our most significant draft choices of this era. Not only in becoming a good player himself, but in generating the ill will that facilitated much-needed regime change following a finals run.

Everything I’ve read about him suggests that, in sheer hockey terms, he was an impressive prospect when drafted. I don’t know how the ensuing year affected his development - probably very well as a human being, and very poorly as a hockey player. Since we now know that a culture of brutal misogyny is endemic in junior hockey circles, Mailloux is best understood as the one who got caught, rather than an aberration among his peers; a deeply disturbing thought which nevertheless reframes his situation in important ways.

I’m glad we’ve signed him…I was always afraid we would throw him away for PR reasons, putting ourselves at a competitive disadvantage with other clubs who draft equally toxic young men but get to keep, develop, and benefit from their hockey skills. Plus, given what he’s gone through, Mailloux is probably now significantly ahead of many of his peers in terms of his understanding of gender and basic human decency. This shows that the new regime has its head on straight.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Neech said:

I have high hopes for Logan, and if he pans out he might be one of our most significant draft choices of this era. Not only in becoming a good player himself, but in generating the ill will that facilitated much-needed regime change following a finals run.

nope, he does not have be a martyr the rest of his public life

I just want him to play hockey to the best of his abilities during the time he may be in the Habs NHL lineup.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

A few comments by Rob Ramage about Mailloux from this morning’s Rocket article in The Athletic:

“It seemed like (London Knights GM) Mark Hunter had me on speed dial. I said to Logan, I think I’ve seen you more in the last two years than my son. He had a great year. Every time you watched him, whether it was myself, Frankie (Bouillon) or Nick (Carrière), he just looked like an NHL player out there. The biggest thing is he needs to play; he hasn’t played a lot of hockey the last three years.”

Clearly Mailloux has been getting a lot of attention from the Habs’ organization over the past year. Now we should see what he’s capable of in Laval.

10 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Clearly Mailloux has been getting a lot of attention from the Habs’ organization over the past year. Now we should see what he’s capable of in Laval.

Assuming he gets clearance from the NHL after meeting with Gary Bettman ... back in early June (6 weeks ago) it was announced they would meet in "the coming weeks" ... I expect he will be cleared, but it may yet take some time if the NHL wants/needs to keep some separation between Mailloux and the rumoured soon-to-be-announced results of the 2018 WJHC Team Canada investigation.

I assume he would still be able to play in Laval even without the clearance? In any case, I think it's unlikely that he's going to get any kind of long-term suspension from the NHL given how lightly more serious offences are handled by the league. But we shall see.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I assume he would still be able to play in Laval even without the clearance? In any case, I think it's unlikely that he's going to get any kind of long-term suspension from the NHL given how lightly more serious offences are handled by the league. But we shall see.

Not necessarily.  When the NHL said Mitchell Miller (BOS) couldn't play there, the thought was the Bruins would stash him in the AHL.  Except the AHL then ruled him ineligible.  Clearly, they're different situations but there's a precedent that NHL ineligibility could carry over to the AHL.  Not an automatic though.

We now know that misogynistic abuse is rampant in junior hockey culture - so rampant that Hockey Canada had to create a secret slush fund to cover legal costs. Mailloux was just the one who got caught.

That can ramify in two directions. One, the league makes an example of Mailloux, precisely because he got caught. Seen in one light, that would be gross hypocrisy (since lots of other players who do similarly disgusting things are cheerfully being fast-tracked to NHL success). Seen in another, it would be a valuable signal about hockey’s intolerance of such behaviour.

The other direction is, the league looks at Mailloux as a rare player who has been forced to confront his own misogyny is a systematic and painful fashion, and therefore green-lights him as a success story.

As with most things NHL, it is impossible to know how they’ll decide, since there are no consistent principles that guide its behaviour except arbitrary personal egos and preferences, and (of course) money.

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We now know that misogynistic abuse is rampant in junior hockey culture - so rampant that Hockey Canada had to create a secret slush fund to cover legal costs. Mailloux was just the one who got caught.

That can ramify in two directions. One, the league makes an example of Mailloux, precisely because he got caught. Seen in one light, that would be gross hypocrisy (since lots of other players who do similarly disgusting things are cheerfully being fast-tracked to NHL success). Seen in another, it would be a valuable signal about hockey’s intolerance of such behaviour.

The other direction is, the league looks at Mailloux as a rare player who has been forced to confront his own misogyny is a systematic and painful fashion, and therefore green-lights him as a success story.

As with most things NHL, it is impossible to know how they’ll decide, since there are no consistent principles that guide its behaviour except arbitrary personal egos and preferences, and (of course) money.

Yeah everything you say here is true. 

How absurd it is to pin the blatant culture of misogyny in hockey on Mailloux!

My sense is that once the players that were involved in the sexual assault allegations that brought down Hockey Canada are formally charged, Mailloux will be forgotten about. 

A whole new can of worms are headed the NHL’s way and if proven in court how will the NHL handle those 8 players - some of whom are supposedly big name guys?

I hope Mailloux gets the green light from Bettman soon so that we can move on before that big case drops. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

My sense is that once the players that were involved in the sexual assault allegations that brought down Hockey Canada are formally charged, Mailloux will be forgotten about. 

A whole new can of worms are headed the NHL’s way and if proven in court how will the NHL handle those 8 players - some of whom are supposedly big name guys?

I hope Mailloux gets the green light from Bettman soon so that we can move on before that big case drops. 

I just hope none of those NHLers are Habs :pray:

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I just hope none of those NHLers are Habs :pray:

Team members who have condemned the incident: Conor Timmins, Victor Mete, Cale Makar, Dante Fabbro, Carter Hart, Cal Foote, Robert Thomas, Jonah Gadjovich

Team members who have stayed silent: Alex Formenton, Sam Steel, Max Comtois, Tyler Steenburgen, Drake Batherson, Michael McLeod, Boris Katchouk, Brett Howden

No (current) Habs on either list, though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I disagree with this.  Two.wrongs dont make a right.  That someone committed a worse crime doesnt excuse Mailloux.

The only thing he can do is continue his education, therapy, and community service to make up for his mistakes, not hope someone else did worse so hes scott free now.

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

I disagree with this.  Two.wrongs dont make a right.  That someone committed a worse crime doesnt excuse Mailloux.

The only thing he can do is continue his education, therapy, and community service to make up for his mistakes, not hope someone else did worse so hes scott free now.

Oh it doesn’t excuse what Mailloux did but to “make an example” of him would be absurd. 

There are clearly very deep and long standing misogyny issues in hockey culture. Really gross and disgusting things have been going on for a very long time. 

To pin decades of this garbage on this one kid? If the NHL decides to crush ALL players that have been proven guilty then that’s one thing. 

Im also saying that the NHL won’t be able to hide from this once the big case drops. It’s going to be a big deal in the media, especially if a player like Makar is found to be guilty. It will get a whole bunch of “me too” attention and I want Mailloux cleared before that happens so that he doesn’t get lumped into that and possibly cancelled. 

Like you said, Mailloux just needs to keep walking the path set before him to make it right. I just hope he gets officially cleared for NHL while he does so. 

• Like 1

I'm happy that Mailloux has signed, but I am a bit surprised on the timing.  I figured they would wait until after Bettman gives him the green light.  I suppose they are confident that Bettman will allow Mailloux to play.  

5 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think he was last year but not the one after being drafted.

It is possible that he was at the camp last year - he would have been allowed to take part, but I seem to recall that he was injured at that time.  

• 1 month later...

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Laval this season? Close to zero chance he plays for Montreal this year. 

I would guess average NHL team plays 11 different d-men/season. (last year ex: Bruins -12; Habs -11, Flames/TB -10, Panthers -9)

So couple injuries on right side and good play in Laval, why not give him a look.

Especially later in season after trade deadline (assuming Habs not in playoff hunt).

Logan Mailloux Reportedly Ruled Eligible For The 2023-24 Season – HabsWorld.net

I expect him to spend the majority of his time in Laval, but a callup later in the year isn't out of the question.  Depends on injuries and if they trade a player like Savard or give up on others.

Right now on the Right side, you have to consider Savard, Barron, Kovacevic, Lindstrom, and Wideman ahead of him in terms of being NHL ready though. So that's 5 guys.  Add in the possibility of playing Harris or someone else on their off side and its easy to see him as being more than 11th on the depth chart to start the year (seeing as I didn't include guys playing on the left). 

A later call-up would also depend on whether they are actually fighting for a playoff spot (as unlikely as that is) or whether they want to use the call-up to evaluate someone like Mailloux in NHL games.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

A later call-up would also depend on whether they are actually fighting for a playoff spot (as unlikely as that is) or whether they want to use the call-up to evaluate someone like Mailloux in NHL games.

There is also the possibility that if injuries pile up an "emergency call-up" could give him a short look-see.