Habs claim Johnny Kovacevic

dlbalr

39 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Without knowing anything besides what I’ve read today, looks like a decent wire pickup.

Agree, now fingers crossed the big young guy is NHL ready and doesn't have any real struggles defending vs NHL forwards. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

Agree, now fingers crossed the big young guy is NHL ready and doesn't have any real struggles defending vs NHL forwards. 

Agreed ... but the most important thing is that he provides 6'4" of insulation for the youngsters ... and I have a funny feeling that there may be another waiver pickup in the near future, unless Edmundson is healthier than they haven't told us (HINT: I am annoyed by the lack of updates on an injury that was not supposed to be serious).

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Agreed ... but the most important thing is that he provides 6'4" of insulation for the youngsters ... and I have a funny feeling that there may be another waiver pickup in the near future, unless Edmundson is healthier than they haven't told us (HINT: I am annoyed by the lack of updates on an injury that was not supposed to be serious).

Valimaaki would be a good pickup imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DON said:

Definitely agree, and am actually a little optimistic as after looking into him more It appears he has been consistent (not prolific) at all levels.  
Given our RHD depth this pickup is really impressing me as being smart gamble with potentially high returns.

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

Valimaaki would be a good pickup imo.

It's a pricey flyer though.  $1.55M cap hit, $2M in salary, $1.86M QO if they like him.  It also makes their season-opening roster optimizing scenario a lot harder. 

For anyone wondering what I mean, on Monday, they want to get a cap hit as close to $10.5M over the cap as possible, then LTIR Price.  They want to do that with the ELC guys (Slafkovsky, Caufield, Guhle, even Barron and Harris) if they can for performance bonus reasons.  Right now, with this claim, they can get within about $131,000 of that threshold but if they claim Valimaki, it could make it harder to recall whichever ELC players get sent down to accommodate Valimaki's claim.  (This is one of the really goofy cap machinations for season-opening roster purposes with those rosters rarely actually being the opening game rosters.)  With Byron being LTIR-bound, it's not an impossible scenario to work around (if they really want him, it's worth the claim) but it would complicate things a bit.

"Kovacevic graduated from Merrimack Engineering in 2020, finishing the fourth year of his degree via remote learning. He says he’s always done “pretty well” at school. Merrimack’s website lists his GPA as 4.0"

https://theathletic.com/3099765/2022/01/29/how-johnathan-kovacevics-family-story-helps-him-put-his-hockey-pursuit-in-perspective/

I already like this kid, I know how hard it is to graduate from engineering, and to have a GPA of 4.0 while playing hockey! just tells me he is disciplined, committed and smart.

Seems like he was playing lots of minutes in the AHL and that he didn't look out of place with the Jets

https://thehockeywriters.com/winnipeg-jets-2022-restricted-free-agents/

Good pickup!

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...