Oct. 12, Maple Leafs vs Canadiens, 7 PM

dlbalr

19 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Anyone notice the lights???

Yes. I imagine its to do with the Sportnet coverage and some of their settings. I was also annoyed by the virtual advertisements on the boards changing mid play. Found it to be a bit distracting. At least wait till a stoppage in play.

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Game 1 on the road to 0-82. 

On a side note, does anyone else find it weird the Xhekaj is pronounced backwards?  There's no way I'm the first to notice.

Dude! You just blew my mind! I did not see that.

19 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There was a whole bunch of things to be happy about. 

Hoffman and Dadonov need to go though

Patience ... I am fairly certain that is the plan ... but they, and Drouin and Armia, need to generate interest before anyone will take them without Habs including another asset(s) to get rid of them.

Among the newbies, #26 was the one who I thought had some wonky moments. 

Savard and Dandonov both made costly errors leading to goals, not that I’m crapping on the former, who also brought a lot of gritty play down low.

9 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope Allen doesn't get hurt

I also hope the Leafs do not run up the score to the point of chasing Allen

I will be looking at the Monahan-Dach duo and the Dvorak-Gallagher duo in hopes they develop some chemistry

For the rest, I am very happy with the tank job :)

Go hard or go home,

for Dedard here we go,

Dive deep and tank hard,

for Bedar, it's all worth...

I am so happy they beat the Leafs, again!

Allen didn't get hurt, wasn't chased and the (lower-case) "d" kept the Leafs to less goals that the good guys :)

I loved the Monahan-Dach duo, and when I saw Gallagher rush past the TOR D for a scoring chance... I had the biggest smile: Gally is looking good this season.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Among the newbies, #26 was the one who I thought had some wonky moments ...

Kovacevic has likely been in town for all of 3-4 days (claimed Saturday, at best in town Saturday evening or Sunday morning) ... I thought overall he looked surprisingly good.

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Patience ... I am fairly certain that is the plan ... but they, and Drouin and Armia, need to generate interest before anyone will take them without Habs including another asset(s) to get rid of them.

Hoffman I can easily see interest in.  Dadonov will end the season a hab if he doesn’t get a lot better.

13 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Guys..

I’m 46yrs old. 

Been watching the Habs religiously since 85. 

Cole might be their greatest natural goal scorer in 38 years. 

No joke. 

I don't disagree, the kid can snipe.  Sign him before he scores 50!!

1 hour ago, Habsfan84 said:

Yes. I imagine its to do with the Sportnet coverage and some of their settings. I was also annoyed by the virtual advertisements on the boards changing mid play. Found it to be a bit distracting. At least wait till a stoppage in play.

They change every 30 seconds of game action.  This is a league-wide thing this year for all games.

4 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

why on earth would they do that?

I can think of some reason$.  Extra advertising money and while the in-arena ad rights might come down as you'll only see them on TV on replays and close-up shots, the ability to have a bunch of local advertising makes up for it.  It was interesting on CBJ-CAR tonight (the CAR feed) as it was one company per 30-second stint with their ad around the entire boards.  I thought the ones in the Montreal game were pretty clean in comparison.

I've had a funny thought for a while now and after watching the game it has been re-enforced.  i.e. what happened the last time the Habs went winless in the preseason?  I believe they won 8 straight or something wild.  I wont be surprised if a similar oddness happens this year and this is the 1st of many unexpected wins in a row.  

They didn't play great by any means, but they played well together, and thats exactly what they need to do.  For me, most of it looked like they were playing a playoff game.  They had that level of team unity and cohesiveness thats usually seen the the playoffs. 

If they can keep that up for 82 games they might actually make the playoffs.  

I really shouldn't read the Leafs chat rooms but I can't help myself after a Habs win. I could understand a fan base being a little arrogant if they had won a cup in the last 50 years or had got out of the 1st round of the playoffs in the modern era but so many comments like "how could we play down to their level", "how do we lose to a borderline AHL team" etc etc.

Lord help us if the Leafs ever win the cup. 

4 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Anyone have thoughts on Slaf? No special teams time limited his minutes or did he get bumped down to the line with Evans?

I liked how he played. He is aware of the play, his head always up.

He has a quick first few steps as he was able to rush to the puck carrier when defending on the D zone.

He is lost on the ice at times, but is smart and seems to adjust

He is not intimidated and is taking it all in.

He outplayed Dadonov, Hoffman, Pitlick... which is impressive to me because it was just his first game

He will be just fine, I still would prefer he was sent down to Laval to win a cup there and develop better.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I liked how he played. He is aware of the play, his head always up.

He has a quick first few steps as he was able to rush to the puck carrier when defending on the D zone.

He is lost on the ice at times, but is smart and seems to adjust

He is not intimidated and is taking it all in.

He outplayed Dadonov, Hoffman, Pitlick... which is impressive to me because it was just his first game

He will be just fine, I still would prefer he was sent down to Laval to win a cup there and develop better.

Glad it was generally positive!

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I really shouldn't read the Leafs chat rooms but I can't help myself after a Habs win. I could understand a fan base being a little arrogant if they had won a cup in the last 50 years or had got out of the 1st round of the playoffs in the modern era but so many comments like "how could we play down to their level", "how do we lose to a borderline AHL team" etc etc.

Lord help us if the Leafs ever win the cup. 

Well, did you look at our lineup? That’s a quite reasonable reaction by those fans IMHO. 😉

But as the saying goes, that’s why you play the games. The Habs put in a spirited effort (as they will all season, one suspects), they have at least one line that just might show itself to be an elite FW unit  this year (CC-Suze-Anderson). Importantly, Murray gave up a weak goal to make the game 2-2. Goaltending and defensive breakdowns have always been these Leafs’ Achilles Heel. I’m delighted to say that nothing seems to have changed.

More puzzling was the Leafs’ impotence on key PP. If I’m a Leafs fan, I’m apoplectic that TO had ample chances to put the game out of reach with the man advantage and failed to. That team last night looked **exactly** like the team that lost to us in the playoffs in 2021…a wildly talented bunch that for some reason cannot find an extra gear at key times.

30 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well, did you look at our lineup? That’s a quite reasonable reaction by those fans IMHO. 😉

But as the saying goes, that’s why you play the games. The Habs put in a spirited effort (as they will all season, one suspects), they have at least one line that just might show itself to be an elite FW unit  this year (CC-Suze-Anderson). Importantly, Murray gave up a weak goal to make the game 2-2. Goaltending and defensive breakdowns have always been these Leafs’ Achilles Heel. I’m delighted to say that nothing seems to have changed.

More puzzling was the Leafs’ impotence on key PP. If I’m a Leafs fan, I’m apoplectic that TO had ample chances to put the game out of reach with the man advantage and failed to. That team last night looked **exactly** like the team that lost to us in the playoffs in 2021…a wildly talented bunch that for some reason cannot find an extra gear at key times.

I thought a key difference last night was discipline. The Leafs gave up way more odd man rushes than the Habs did. I think St. Louis really preached being responsible defensively with such a young defense core last night. You are going to get burned if you give up 2 on 1's  to Suzuki/Caulfield.