Oct. 12, Maple Leafs vs Canadiens, 7 PM

dlbalr

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't disagree, the kid can snipe.  Sign him before he scores 50!!

IMO he will wait unless HuGo pony up a long-term offer that jumps/leaps past Suzuki ... CC strikes me as a kid who will bet on himself ... three years ago Debrincat got $6.4M AAV on a 3-year extension early in the final year of his ELC (albeit following a 41 goal second season, BUT entering the flat-cap era) ... with the cap once again about to start growing, I expect the Habs want to sign him for as long as possible (i.e., ideally the 8 year maximum term) 

EDIT: grammatical, added "with"

13 hours ago, Habsfan84 said:

... I was also annoyed by the virtual advertisements on the boards changing mid play. Found it to be a bit distracting. At least wait till a stoppage in play.

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They change every 30 seconds of game action.  This is a league-wide thing ...

11 hours ago, Helmethead said:

why on earth would they do that?

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I can think of some reason$.  Extra advertising money and while the in-arena ad rights might come down as you'll only see them TV on replays and close-up shots, the ability to have a bunch of local advertising makes up for it.  ...

The good news is twofold ... more revenue fuels cap increases, and since it is only seen on TV it can't distract the players

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

IMO he will wait unless HuGo pony up a long-term offer that jumps/leaps past Suzuki ... CC strikes me as a kid who will bet on himself ... three years ago Debrincat got $6.4M AAV on a 3-year extension early in the final year of his ELC (albeit following a 41 goal second season, BUT entering the flat-cap era) ... the cap once again about to start growing, I expect the Habs want to sign him for as long as possible (i.e., ideally the 8 year maximum term) 

Agreed, Caulfield is a confident young man which is a good thing because you need some confidence to survive and thrive in a market like Montreal.  I would be very happy if he signed for Suzuki term and money but I have a feeling he will end up getting more.  He is the real deal. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

IMO he will wait unless HuGo pony up a long-term offer that jumps/leaps past Suzuki ... CC strikes me as a kid who will bet on himself ... three years ago Debrincat got $6.4M AAV on a 3-year extension early in the final year of his ELC (albeit following a 41 goal second season, BUT entering the flat-cap era) ... with the cap once again about to start growing, I expect the Habs want to sign him for as long as possible (i.e., ideally the 8 year maximum term) 

EDIT: grammatical, added "with"

They didn't know the flat-cap era was starting at the time that deal was signed (Oct. 2019) as COVID started after that.  For me, the craziest thing about that deal was the decision to bridge a year early which is unheard of.

The big thing with Caufield will be a lack of NHL experience.  He has yet to play a single season's worth of regular season games; there are still a lot of unknowns with him.  That's why neither side has shown much interest in an early deal as there just isn't enough of an NHL track record to confidently project off of.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think St. Louis really preached being responsible defensively with such a young defense core last night. 

I've heard that he is less a system guy, and focuses more on patterns and trends. I read a quote somewhere that he wants you to play offense when you have the puck and defense when you don't. Regardless of what zone you're in. Don't wait till you're in your own zone to play defense. The second you lose the puck, you're on defense. He's an interesting guy so far.

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think St. Louis really preached being responsible defensively with such a young defense core last night. 

I've heard that he is less a system guy, and focuses more on patterns and trends. I read a quote somewhere that he wants you to play offense when you have the puck and defense when you don't. Regardless of what zone you're in. Don't wait till you're in your own zone to play defense. The second you lose the puck, you're on defense. He's an interesting guy so far.

Habs killed all 4 penalties.

22:34 for Guhle

Harris 4 shots on net.

Back to back games upcoming, is nice to see some actual hockey now and not just clips of plays.