2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We aren’t getting a high lottery pick for him - teams that would want him would be contenders. I’d still take the pick though - prefer another chance at getting more Beck/Guhle type prospects.

You know, @hab29RETIRED, I don't really know what we could get. But the thought of having only one experienced NHL D-pair in Matheson-Savard doesn't appeal to me.

Edmundson seems toe be a "glue/team guy" respected by all. During the developing years, it is hard to replace that.

That is why, for me, I would only consider trading him for a high return

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

You know, @hab29RETIRED, I don't really know what we could get. But the thought of having only one experienced NHL D-pair in Matheson-Savard doesn't appeal to me.

Edmundson seems toe be a "glue/team guy" respected by all. During the developing years, it is hard to replace that.

Yes, he could be a valued mentor for sure. 

Send him back to Kingston.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We aren’t getting a high lottery pick for him - teams that would want him would be contenders. I’d still take the pick though - prefer another chance at getting more Beck/Guhle type prospects.

You can't always choose who wants a player ... but ***IF*** it is possible, give preference to a team chasing a wild card spot and hope they fall short ... while only the 11 worst teams have a shot at #1, #16 still has a shot at #6.

Played in all 6 games:

• 3rd in TOI 5-on-5
  • second unit PP time
  • ZERO goals
  • 2 assists.

Welcome to Jesperi Kotkaniemi's 2022-23 season thus far ... despite playing with the 'Canes leading (Svechnikov 7) and 3rd leading (Necas 3) goal scorers.

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

He seems to be constantly injured. Not sure if that’s who I’d want ti count on as being a mentor. 

3 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Shane Wright is averaging just over 6 minutes TOI per game.  Guess he wasn’t the slam dunk most people believed he was. 

That is just a 'bit' premature call. 

13 minutes ago, DON said:

That is just a 'bit' premature call. 

image.png

18 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Played in all 6 games:

• 3rd in TOI 5-on-5
  • second unit PP time
  • ZERO goals
  • 2 assists.

Welcome to Jesperi Kotkaniemi's 2022-23 season thus far ... despite playing with the 'Canes leading (Svechnikov 7) and 3rd leading (Necas 3) goal scorers.

Well, they’re giving him all the chances to become an offensive producer. And he’s obviously not hurting them. I always thought he was most likely to become Lars Eller and that prediction appears to be on track.

30 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Shane Wright is averaging just over 6 minutes TOI per game.  Guess he wasn’t the slam dunk most people believed he was.  It’s only early in his career yet though.

Nobody said he was Superman. Send him down, let him grow. 

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

image.png

Caufield also was a bust last fall, it is a long season and Wright is all of 18. 

But, i guess we all do hope Hughes made the right call and chose the right kid, but i still feel wrong about pulling for Wright to be a bust, thats all.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Caufield also was a bust last fall, it is a long season and Wright is all of 18. 

But, i guess we all do hope Hughes made the right call and chose the right kid, but i still feel wrong about pulling for Wright to be a bust, thats all.

I don’t want him to be a bust, but I DO want him to be an inferior player to Slaf. I just have no stomach for the thought of the Habs having blown yet another top pick.

Phil Kessel now has the record for most consecutive games played ... but I refuse to call him the "Iron Man" ... in his career he has averaged one "hit" every 6.27 games (192 in 1212) ... in the last 8 seasons it is one hit every 7.88 games.

36 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don’t want him to be a bust, but I DO want him to be an inferior player to Slaf. I just have no stomach for the thought of the Habs having blown yet another top pick.

There is a big gap between being, say, the second-best player drafted, and being a bust, I think. :) 

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

There is a big gap between being, say, the second-best player drafted, and being a bust, I think. :) 

you are too wide for this forum, Tom :)

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Shane Wright is averaging just over 6 minutes TOI per game.  Guess he wasn’t the slam dunk most people believed he was.  It’s only early in his career yet though.

I would have sent him to.the OHL for.the year even if we drafted him and Seattle should too.  This is a kid who already lost a full year due to covid and keeping him up to be a scratch or play 6 minutes is dumb.

Thats not on him but Ron Francis.

46 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Phil Kessel now has the record for most consecutive games played ... but I refuse to call him the "Iron Man" ... in his career he has averaged one "hit" every 6.27 games (192 in 1212) ... in the last 8 seasons it is one hit every 7.88 games.

Yeah, how do you mr. Irrelevant/pillsbury doughboy sure. Ironman just seems wrong!

28 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yeah, how do you mr. Irrelevant/pillsbury doughboy sure. Ironman just seems wrong!

.8 ppg player over 1200 games. He's hardly irrelevant. He's an extremely reliable secondary scorer over a massive sample size.

1 minute ago, BCHabnut said:

.8 ppg player over 1200 games. He's hardly irrelevant. He's an extremely reliable secondary scorer over a massive sample size.

Oh, I don’t disagree that he is a good player - but love the Mr Irrelevant monikor from he all star game. But I do find it hard to call a pudgy guy an Ironman.

33 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Apparently that is all for show and joke, he is know to be one of the strongest, most athletic people in the league among those in the know.

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Oh, I don’t disagree that he is a good player - but love the Mr Irrelevant monikor from he all star game. But I do find it hard to call a pudgy guy an Ironman.

Ah. I don't remember that.

Ironman is playing consecutive games without being injured. He fits the criteria and has been a far better player at this end of his streak than either Yandle or Jarvis were. 

When Jarvis streak ended, he wasn't an NHL player anymore. He would soon find himself out of the league. Same with Yandle.  Their streaks kinda went on cause they were forced to, when coaches wanted to make them healthy scratches. 

At least Kessel is still producing.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ironman is playing consecutive games without being injured. He fits the criteria and has been a far better player at this end of his streak than either Yandle or Jarvis were. 

When Jarvis streak ended, he wasn't an NHL player anymore. He would soon find himself out of the league. Same with Yandle.  Their streaks kinda went on cause they were forced to, when coaches wanted to make them healthy scratches. 

At least Kessel is still producing.

When Kessel was being criticized in Toronto for not being a “complete player” and having poor fitness and lousy practice habits, I remember Ray Ferraro arguing that Kessel is like an idiot savant: all he does is score and generate offence, without doing any of those other things. Leave him alone, was Ferraro’s point.

I’ve always agreed with that. How a consistent offensive producer becomes defined as a “problem” in this league never ceases to amaze me. Meanwhile a rugged role player who can’t score his way out of a paper bag is never, ever criticized for being one-dimensional. It beats me.

4 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Isles waiving Bellows. Would he be a good pickup?

We have too many wingers on this roster as is, and guys who deserve a shot before him like RHP, Ylonen, sitting in Laval. I don't see what he adds at this point to be honest. And who do you waive to make the room?

• Like 1

• tomh009 unpinned this topic