2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, Plutarch said:

I think most aware Leafs realized October was a bad month for the team schedule wise and just wanted to go .500 this month... I'm sure they will be fine. Even if I enjoy them losing 😛

They lost to Montreal, Arizona, and Anaheim in October.  I don't think even the most rational Leafs fan had them going 0 for 3 against us and the other two. 

The Leafs D really isn't that bad,

Rielly and Brodie are a very good #1 pair. 

Muzzin has fallen a lot though, and probably isn't the number 3 that they need him to be.  With him and Giordano though they should be able to get by on 2nd and 3rd pairings. Holl needs to go and they need one of Liljegren or Sandin to take a step. Still its far from their biggest needs. 

The goaltending is a huge question mark and they have no depth in the bottom six. These are their biggest issues IMO. 

The

3 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Thats actually a good thought and I bet the price wouldn’t be that crazy 

Everything I've read says that the 'Yotes have had a high asking price and have been sticking to it ... apparently, they are waiting for him to get back into the lineup and show he is healthy before seriously entertaining offers.

Paging Pierre Karl Péladeau.

23 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Paging Pierre Karl Péladeau.

Do you think the league won't insist on keeping the team in Ottawa, especially with an agreement pretty much done for the new downtown arena that they've been wanting for years?  They're not going to let the team be sold to someone that will move them elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Do you think the league won't insist on keeping the team in Ottawa, especially with an agreement pretty much done for the new downtown arena that they've been wanting for years?  They're not going to let the team be sold to someone that will move them elsewhere.

I think it all depends on the bidders ... they will want VERY deep pockets to finally put an end to stories about the Sens finances ... and ... the new owners will need those deep pockets to fund a substantial share of the arena ... unlike the original bidding process where the Sens came on board for relatively minimal investment because they were needed to win the bid to develop the entire Lebreton Flats area, the current process is parcelled out into four "districts" ... less incentive for developers to pay the full freight on an arena.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I think it all depends on the bidders ... they will want VERY deep pockets to finally put an end to stories about the Sens finances ... and ... the new owners will need those deep pockets to fund a substantial share of the arena ... unlike the original bidding process where the Sens came on board for relatively minimal investment because they were needed to win the bid to develop the entire Lebreton Flats area, the current process is parcelled out into four "districts" ... less incentive for developers to pay the full freight on an arena.

They'll wait until they get a bidder that will keep the team in Ottawa.  The NHL wants nothing to do with Peladeau and Quebec; if they're the only ones that offer, the league will probably do what they did with Phoenix and assume control of the franchise until a desirable owner (one that will keep the team there) comes up.  They're a team on the rise with a good arena situation on the horizon, I think there will be local buyers.

Just now, dlbalr said:

They'll wait until they get a bidder that will keep the team in Ottawa.  The NHL wants nothing to do with Peladeau and Quebec; if they're the only ones that offer, the league will probably do what they did with Phoenix and assume control of the franchise until a desirable owner (one that will keep the team there) comes up.  They're a team on the rise with a good arena situation on the horizon, I think there will be local buyers.

"Paging PKP was largely sarcasm ... but new ownership with the funding to get the arena built will be critical, and will be needed in the not-too-distant future in order to get that arena built ... there will be local bidders but the question in my mind is whether they will have the money to pull it off the new arena as well as running the team ... or will the next owner continue the history of underfunded Sens owners and leave the team in Kanata.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

They lost to Montreal, Arizona, and Anaheim in October.  I don't think even the most rational Leafs fan had them going 0 for 3 against us and the other two. 

The basic idea going was... That game one of the season vs MTL is a crap shoot. Then the California roadtrip is always bad for them (us too). Plus the amount of games they played in short days.

Not to defend the Leafs but I think the media is blowing it up a bit.

In terms of their d... liligren is out and Sandin missed camp so he will take a bit to get into form. Holl does need to go though.

In terms of their bottom six. I feel they have solid bottom sixers just no one that can really jump onto the top six reliably.

Goaltending... Well they are one injury from disaster. But Samsonov has been good.

Basically they have flaws but they will rebound and be top three in our division come the end of November.

If they want a cup they need to get a backup goalie, another forward with offensive potential and change Holl into a useful body.

10 hours ago, Plutarch said:

The basic idea going was... That game one of the season vs MTL is a crap shoot. Then the California roadtrip is always bad for them (us too). Plus the amount of games they played in short days.

In terms of their d... liligren is out and Sandin missed camp so he will take a bit to get into form. Holl does need to go though.

In terms of their bottom six. I feel they have solid bottom sixers just no one that can really jump onto the top six reliably.

Goaltending... Well they are one injury from disaster. But Samsonov has been good.

Basically they have flaws but they will rebound and be top three in our division come the end of November.

If they want a cup they need to get a backup goalie, another forward with offensive potential and change Holl into a useful body.

I agree with you and most fans think the leafs are certainly playoff bound but can they actually win?

leafs have tried different bodies from the bottom 6 to play with M and M but it’s a mistake IMO. They need a legit winger on their top line. 

Whatever the case, I hope the leafs get bounced first round again 

• Like 1

The hysteria in TO seems really silly to me, even by TO standards. You can’t simultaneously say that the team will be judged by its playoff performance and then go bonkers because the team is .500 for October.🙄 That said, I don’t really understand why management would have any particular allegiance to Keefe, who seems to be nothing special; and if it continues much longer, sure, I’d bring in Trotz. What the hell, worth a try.

I’m no expert, but I always said that team was too top-heavy at FW, and I still think they should have traded Nylander for a defenceman when he was holding out. But whether Nylander (who I love as a player) or one of the other FWs, they should have worked to spread the strength throughout the lineup rather than having too many of the same type of highly skilled FW up front.

And yes, there may be some sort of cultural or psychological issue on the squad. They just don’t seem to have the extra level of desperation or determination that you need to draw from when your back is to the wall. Time and again, they seem to give it a good shot, then go, “oh well, guess this isn’t happening” and lose. I remember being shocked by their lacklustre performance in Game 7 against us in 2021. Now THAT sort of thing is tough to take if you’re a fan.

Let us hope it continues until the current iteration of the franchise falls apart.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

[...]

Let us hope it continues until the current iteration of the franchise falls apart.

👏 👏 👏

hear! hear!

👏 👏 👏

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The hysteria in TO seems really silly to me, even by TO standards. You can’t simultaneously say that the team will be judged by its playoff performance and then go bonkers because the team is .500 for October.🙄 That said, I don’t really understand why management would have any particular allegiance to Keefe, who seems to be nothing special; and if it continues much longer, sure, I’d bring in Trotz. What the hell, worth a try.

They may have a .500 points percentage but they've looked off all season and losses to Montreal, Arizona, San Jose, and Anaheim (four expected bottom feeders) don't help.  It's not so much that they're at .500, it's that they should have been well above based on the schedule.  

Keefe is nothing special as a coach but he and Dubas came up together, first in the OHL, then with the Marlies.  Keefe is clearly the guy Dubas wants so while the rest of Toronto's management group might not have a particular affinity for him, the one that does is the one in charge so he's getting a really long leash.

13 hours ago, Plutarch said:

I don't doubt that they will make the playoffs. 

Its winning in the playoffs that is the question, and Samsonov/Murray is far from convincing for that.

32 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't doubt that they will make the playoffs. 

Its winning in the playoffs that is the question, and Samsonov/Murray is far from convincing for that.

Very fair. They really have resisted moving picks for goalies but betting on oft injured Mrazek and Murray has backfired so far.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/updates-from-practice-november-2/c-336871556?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=CHCcontent&utm_content=EN-1102-Practice

Wednesday November 2
Optional practice
F D G
63 - Evgenii Dadonov 44 - Joel Edmundson 34 - Jake Allen
27 - Jonathan Drouin 21 - Kaiden Guhle 35 - Sam Montembeault
71 - Jake Evans 54 - Jordan Harris  
68 - Mike Hoffman 26 - Johnathan Kovacevic  
55 - Michael Pezzetta 72 - Arber Xhekaj  
32 - Rem Pitlick    
20 - Juraj Slafkovsky  

Wideman maybe is the one who could use more practice the most.:ph34r:

Wideman is playing 1bout 16.5 minutes/game, +3 over 10 games and he's even on the ice for a decent proportion of defensive-zone starts. While there are some defensive issues (as there are for almost all offensive defencemen) his partnership with Kovacevic is working out quite well, I don't think he's being assigned bag skates at this point.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I would love to see what Trotz would do with the leafs. Would he abandon the high octane offence and go for the defence first system or a trap system?

leafs are surely going to lose Mathews and I’m hoping that leads to a rebuild and decades of continuing obscurity 

Let us pray

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Wideman is playing 1bout 16.5 minutes/game, +3 over 10 games and he's even on the ice for a decent proportion of defensive-zone starts. While there are some defensive issues (as there are for almost all offensive defencemen) his partnership with Kovacevic is working out quite well, I don't think he's being assigned bag skates at this point.

He plays with Xhekaj

• tomh009 unpinned this topic