2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

22 - Cole Caufield         14 - Nick Suzuki         77 - Kirby Dach

27 - Jonathan Drouin     91 - Sean Monahan   63 - Evgenii Dadonov / 55 - Michael Pezzetta

68 - Mike Hoffman         17 - Josh Anderson   11 - Brendan Gallagher

20 - Juraj Slafkovsky     71 - Jake Evans         40 - Joel Armia

21 - Kaiden Guhle           58 - David Savard

44 - Joel Edmundson     72 - Arber Xhekaj

54 - Jordan Harris          26 - Johnathan Kovacevic 

6 - Chris Wideman 

20 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

22 - Cole Caufield         14 - Nick Suzuki         77 - Kirby Dach

27 - Jonathan Drouin     91 - Sean Monahan   63 - Evgenii Dadonov / 55 - Michael Pezzetta

68 - Mike Hoffman         17 - Josh Anderson   11 - Brendan Gallagher

20 - Juraj Slafkovsky     71 - Jake Evans         40 - Joel Armia

21 - Kaiden Guhle           58 - David Savard

44 - Joel Edmundson     72 - Arber Xhekaj

54 - Jordan Harris          26 - Johnathan Kovacevic 

6 - Chris Wideman 

Holy hell why not try Slafkovsky at second line? He has been bringing it every shift. 

Dadonov brings what exactly?

48 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Holy hell why not try Slafkovsky at second line? He has been bringing it every shift. 

Dadonov brings what exactly?

a draft pick

:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P

Hello DJ Smith, Armia is the same for the Habs: if you watch the games closely, Habs are not losing because of him.

Can you ask Dorion to call Hugh-Gort? Just look for the two-headed GM/Hockey-Ops savant on google if you've lost their contact info

:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P:ph34r::nuts::P

1 hour ago, DON said:

Kinda given up on Dadanov/Hoffman/Armia bringing back anything much at deadline.

So, come on Monahan/Drouin get hot for next 2 months please!

Marco D’Amico of Montreal Hockey Now said to trade Dadanov they could retain 50% of his salary and likely have to include an asset to trade him.  

That just means they should assign him to the AHL and probably not have him actually report.  

I think it’s too early to give up on Armia as he’s a streaky scorer for the limited production he does have.  Hoffman has at least shown flashes that he can still score.  I think once he gets the monkey off of his back, he can be at least tradeable at the deadline.

9 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

I think it’s too early to give up on Armia as he’s a streaky scorer for the limited production he does have.  Hoffman has at least shown flashes that he can still score.  I think once he gets the monkey off of his back, he can be at least tradeable at the deadline.

Evans, Armia and Dvorak are also the key players for PK, somebody has to hold the fort on that one, too.

10 hours ago, DON said:

Kinda given up on Dadanov/Hoffman/Armia bringing back anything much at deadline.

So, come on Monahan/Drouin get hot for next 2 months please!

I pretty much agree. I never thought Hoffman/Armia would be easy to trade because of the extra years on their contracts but thought Dadonov might get a 2nd with a decent year. He may turn it around as it's still early.  Right now there would be zero demand for his services, better to just let the contract expire. 

Not optimistic on Drouin but Monahan might be in demand if he stays healthy.  A healthy Edmundson would likely get their best return and Savard has had a bit of a resurgence but he has 2 more years.  We will have a much better idea in a couple months. 

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I pretty much agree. I never thought Hoffman/Armia would be easy to trade because of the extra years on their contracts but thought Dadonov might get a 2nd with a decent year. He may turn it around as it's still early.  Right now there would be zero demand for his services, better to just let the contract expire. 

Not optimistic on Drouin but Monahan might be in demand if he stays healthy.  A healthy Edmundson would likely get their best return and Savard has had a bit of a resurgence but he has 2 more years.  We will have a much better idea in a couple months. 

Fortunately, the 15-20 games before the trade deadline are more important to trade value than the first 12-15 of the season ... so still a CHANCE for the "not the future" types to build up some value.

On 11/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Commandant said:

Wrexham was a non-league team (think 6th division), its the equivalent of buying a franchise in a league lower than the ECHL.  It's nowhere comparable in terms of the money needed to buy the Senators.  Ryan Reynolds would be a very small minority owner in any Senators ownership group.  He could be a frontman, but he wouldn't have the real power or money in any group. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Fortunately, the 15-20 games before the trade deadline are more important to trade value than the first 12-15 of the season ... so still a CHANCE for the "not the future" types to build up some value.

That is true, still time for Dadonov to build up value.

Mitchell Miller. I fully support the idea that he is not being given a contract at this time. However, I totally dislike the headlines. Very racist headlines stating he bullied a black kid. Does the colour of his skin matter? Apparently it does to those who write these headlines. Therefore they are racists. Bullying a kid should be enough. His skin colour is of no concern or importance to the case, or should not be relevant.

My other concern on this is there has to be some consideration given to the age of the culprit at the time of the crime. In Canada we don't let acts committed by minors effect them in their adult years, but then again we have many freedoms Americans can only dream of having. 

Cancel generation is out of control down there. Just my opinion, you are welcome to share yours. 

26 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Mitchell Miller. I fully support the idea that he is not being given a contract at this time. However, I totally dislike the headlines. Very racist headlines stating he bullied a black kid. Does the colour of his skin matter? Apparently it does to those who write these headlines. Therefore they are racists. Bullying a kid should be enough. His skin colour is of no concern or importance to the case, or should not be relevant.

My other concern on this is there has to be some consideration given to the age of the culprit at the time of the crime. In Canada we don't let acts committed by minors effect them in their adult years, but then again we have many freedoms Americans can only dream of having. 

Cancel generation is out of control down there. Just my opinion, you are welcome to share yours. 

i did some terrible things in my youth that would probably get me cancelled now.

I changed, turn my life before going to deep down the path I was on.

I do not care about the Bruins, and I have not read the news on this kid. All I can add to what you shared is that in 2022, there is a minimum expectation of decency and respect that was not shown. The handling of this situation by the Bs is horrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Its been shown that the color of the skin was one of the reasons for the bullying and that they called the kid racial slurs.

The headlines tell what happened.  We shouldnt hide that millers actions were racist.

As for his age... it has continued until recently and the kid has never properly apologized.  Everyone deserves second chances but second chances are earned.

As for being a kid and making mistakes.  He repeatedly bullied and harassed a disabled black kid for his disability and the color of his skin for years.  This included putting candies in a urinal, having people pee on them and then feeding them to the kid.  Im sorry but i dont care what age he was, he was old enough to know right from wrong and thats wrong.

What you call.cancel generation out of control, I call consequences for actions.  If he didnt want to pay the price, he shouldnt have done this.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its been shown that the color of the skin was one of the reasons for the bullying and that they called the kid racial slurs.

The headlines tell what happened.  We shouldnt hide that millers actions were racist.

As for his age... it has continued until recently and the kid has never properly apologized.  Everyone deserves second chances but second chances are earned.

As for being a kid and making mistakes.  He repeatedly bullied and harassed a disabled black kid for his disability and the color of his skin for years.  This included putting candies in a urinal, having people pee on them and then feeding them to the kid.  Im sorry but i dont care what age he was, he was old enough to know right from wrong and thats wrong.

What you call.cancel generation out of control, I call consequences for actions.  If he didnt want to pay the price, he shouldnt have done this.

This was all before the age of 15, as in it was last committed by a 14 year old CHILD. As I said, I support his not being given a contract at this time, but America is headed down the road that shouldn't be travelled where action of children are tried as actions of adults. No, he has not shown enough remorse to be given a second chance. No bullying is not ok. Yes he was racist in his actions and a bully, but if he was bullying a white kid it is no better. It is bullying, skin colour makes no difference in this case but it sure gets the headlines read. So by your standards, every child should spend their lives living with their mistakes? No wonder this generation has so many suicides. That is a ton of BS to live with. Tell me , were you a golden angel at 14? I sure wasn't. Did I grow and mature? Yes. Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone. I read that somewhere once. 

10 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

This was all before the age of 15, as in it was last committed by a 14 year old CHILD. As I said, I support his not being given a contract at this time, but America is headed down the road that shouldn't be travelled where action of children are tried as actions of adults ...

Actions of a child are JUDGED, not "tried", based upon what they have since made of the themselves ... as you said, "No, he has not shown enough remorse to be given a second chance" ... and THAT is why he is being judged.

12 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

... No bullying is not ok. Yes he was racist in his actions and a bully, but if he was bullying a white kid it is no better ...

Personally, I am willing to consider a bullying racist to be "worse" than a bully as they are committing two distinct offensive acts, even if doing so at the same time.

15 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

So by your standards, every child should spend their lives living with their mistakes? No wonder this generation has so many suicides. That is a ton of BS to live with. Tell me , were you a golden angel at 14? I sure wasn't. 

No, as has been stated by at least a couple of times by different people, children deserve a second chance for despicable actions provided they EARN it ... by all accounts that I have read/heard, unlike Logan Mailloux, this young man has neither taken accountability for his actions not taken steps to better themselves ... 

19 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

Did I grow and mature? Yes. Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone. I read that somewhere once. 

By that standard nobody could ever be judged because no matter what some may think of themselves, nobody is without sin.

• Upvote 1

First of all kudos to the Boston players (ie. Bergeron, Foligno) for speaking out against the signing. They showed character by taking an opposite stand from their GM. Neely obviously did not do his homework. 

Do people deserve a second chance. Sure, but first you need to show true remorse. This was never done. His acts were despicable and he never met with the family face to face to convey his remorse. He has had 6 years to do this. You make your bed, you sleep in it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

This was all before the age of 15, as in it was last committed by a 14 year old CHILD. As I said, I support his not being given a contract at this time, but America is headed down the road that shouldn't be travelled where action of children are tried as actions of adults. No, he has not shown enough remorse to be given a second chance. No bullying is not ok. Yes he was racist in his actions and a bully, but if he was bullying a white kid it is no better. It is bullying, skin colour makes no difference in this case but it sure gets the headlines read. So by your standards, every child should spend their lives living with their mistakes? No wonder this generation has so many suicides. That is a ton of BS to live with. Tell me , were you a golden angel at 14? I sure wasn't. Did I grow and mature? Yes. Let he who is free of sin cast the first stone. I read that somewhere once. 

At 14, I knew that racism was wrong and I also didn't feed another kid piss soaked candy. 

Despite that this didn't end at age 14... it continued afterwards, despite a court order that he stay away from Isaiah.  Isaiah's mother has detailed how the other three children who were involved have given genuine apologies and Mitchell hasnt.  She has also detailed that Mitchell had other incidents with Isaiah despite the fact they were in different schools (one publicly at football game they both attended).  So no, this isn't one isolated incident of a 14 year old child, it continued afterwards, up to the age of 16 (And would have been further if not for court orders meaning he couldn't be in contact with his victim).

He also continues to lie about the steps he has taken (anti-bullying groups) to rehabilitate himself.  This shows that he's learned nothing.

His parents (Miller's) have also been on twitter acting like their son is the victim here and insisting he did nothing wrong. 

So nope, sorry... .redemption is earned and he hasn't.  No one is perfect, of course, but in order to get forgiveness you have to show growth and he hasnt shown that he's learned a thing.  He doesn't get forgiven just cause he was young when he did it.  He also has to show that he has grown and matured, which he hasn't shown. 

• Upvote 1

Go Marty go.

Lapointe got him working on his biceps i wonder?

“He’s got legs that would make bodybuilders jealous,” his personal trainer, Ben Prentiss, told Muscle & Fitness magazine when St. Louis was still playing. In 2013, St. Louis’s legs were featured in ESPN The Magazine’s body issue with photos focusing on athletes’ physiques.

When I mentioned to the 47-year-old St. Louis in Winnipeg that he looks like he could still play, he smiled and said: “Maybe on the PP.”

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-with-martin-st-louis-at-helm-canadiens-rebuild-has-legs

9 hours ago, DON said:

Go Marty go.

Lapointe got him working on his biceps i wonder?

“He’s got legs that would make bodybuilders jealous,” his personal trainer, Ben Prentiss, told Muscle & Fitness magazine when St. Louis was still playing. In 2013, St. Louis’s legs were featured in ESPN The Magazine’s body issue with photos focusing on athletes’ physiques.

When I mentioned to the 47-year-old St. Louis in Winnipeg that he looks like he could still play, he smiled and said: “Maybe on the PP.”

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/stu-cowan-with-martin-st-louis-at-helm-canadiens-rebuild-has-legs

My daughter dated a prospect who trained with the lightening, rangers and flames. He said st Louis was the most devoted to conditioning of anybody he practiced or played with.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic