2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

6 minutes ago, DON said:

Random trivia ;

Habs;   $11.0m for all the d.

Flames $23.4m for their d.

the sad part is that the D who are actually making any meaningful money are overpaid.

We’re also  paying around double of what they are paying for goaltending. So there is that.

we are also paying a lot to forwards that have been scratched quite a bit a lot more than they are worth. That’s money and roster positions that could be freed up for better D. I like our young D, really don’t care for any of the veterans.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

the sad part is that the D who are actually making any meaningful money are overpaid.

I think only you would think this. 

$3.5 for Edmundson is overpaid? He is a solid defensive d-man. And Savard is fine 2nd pairing guy, not great but for $3.5, is reasonable salary.

Whats with the negative spin on everything Habs-related all the time sir?

I just dont get it?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, DON said:

$3.5 for Edmundson is overpaid? He is a solid defensive d-man. And Savard is fine 2nd pairing guy, not great but for $3.5, is reasonable salary.

I just dont get it?

Edmundson is NOT overpaid. He's a legit top-4 guy who could play a significant role on nearly any team. As for Savard, it's a tale of two seasons, last year's debacle and this year where he is bringing pretty solid, gritty play and eating minutes on the regular. 

We can't deny that we do have a ton of wasted dough sunk into garbage veterans at FW, however. But it's not hurting us in any way that I can see. As a rebuilding team, we're not looking to sign a key UFA who can put us over the top. We can take our time and gradually ship out those gruesome contracts so that we're in a position to sign key youngsters when they need raises, and can add talent when we're ready to take the next step.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Edmundson is NOT overpaid. He's a legit top-4 guy who could play a significant role on nearly any team. As for Savard, it's a tale of two seasons, last year's debacle and this year where he is bringing pretty solid, gritty play and eating minutes on the regular. 

We can't deny that we do have a ton of wasted dough sunk into garbage veterans at FW, however. But it's not hurting us in any way that I can see. As a rebuilding team, we're not looking to sign a key UFA who can put us over the top. We can take our time and gradually ship out those gruesome contracts so that we're in a position to sign key youngsters when they need raises, and can add talent when we're ready to take the next step.

Issue is that on this team, Savard or Edmondson are on the top pairing. 

i agree we have time to ship out bad deals, and hopefully Guhle will develop into a legit top pairing guy. Right now we don’t have one dman that is a legit top guy.

42 minutes ago, DON said:

I just dont get it?

I’d say Edmondson is a 2nd pairing guy, and Savard a bottom pairing/extra guy on a good team. For that role Savard is overpaid.

i don’t have negativity about our youth, but I do have a negative opinion of our veterans. Most are overpaid and over committed.

i actually think next year, IF our kids in D progress well, and we get a legit top pairing  dman, we can be back in the playoff bubble status, and the following year be a pretty solid team. I don’t think any of our current veteran dmen would have a place on the lineup if that happens, and we definitely need to get rid of a lot of veterans on the wing that are overpaid .

Drouin, Dadanov should be gone in this year’s deadline, Hoffman next year’s deadline, but we are probably stuck with Armia and Gallagher.

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Drouin, Dadanov should be gone in this year’s deadline, Hoffman next year’s deadline, but we are probably stuck with Armia and Gallagher.

That's only two overpaid veterans, most teams have at least that many, and in many cases on worse contracts. Armia has another year beyond that and Gallagher three more. And both can play useful roles on the team for those years, even if not at the level their contracts should merit. So, while we wish it were otherwise, I don't see that as a disastrous situation.

Now, if Anderson's (also five years remaining) play also falls off a cliff, things start to get more grim.

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agreed, many teams would gladly take on Edmundson at 3.5M/year and Savard is much improved this year. Last year was a debacle for a lot of players and perhaps he tried to do too much. We just have to patient with some of the overpaid veterans and hope Hughes can work some magic at the deadline.  The ones with term remaining will be difficult to move. 

On a positive note, it looks like Suzuki's contract will age very well especially if the cap goes up. 

37 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

[...]

although I have an issue with any person being referred to as garbage, I agree that the salary structure has too many contracts that do not meet expectations. They come from a team built to win in the playoffs, where some players were meant to get you in and others meant to get you through.

The Habs are on a completely different context, rebuilding to win a cup in the next window. That makes anyone 26 and older an asset to ripen and trade: Drouin, Anderson, Dvorak, Dadonov, Hoffman, Gallagher, Evans, Armia, Edmundson, Matheson, Savard, Wideman, Allen are all veterans that should be traded at some point for the best return.

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Issue is that on this team, Savard or Edmondson are on the top pairing. 

That wasn't your complaint though, it was that they are overpaid, and neither of them is overpaid. 

If Edmundson was on our second pair at 3.5, he would be considered a huge bargain. 

As for Savard, even his contract might be a slight overpayment, but its maybe a few hundred thousand for a veteran who can play a regular shift at 5v5 and contribute to the penalty kill and is right handed (which is a premium). 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

That's only two overpaid veterans, most teams have at least that many, and in many cases on worse contracts. Armia has another year beyond that and Gallagher three more. And both can play useful roles on the team for those years, even if not at the level their contracts should merit ...

Respectfully disagree ... Drouin, Dadonov, Hoffman, Armia and Gallagher are all overpaid (i.e., contribution/production "not at the level their contracts should merit").

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Respectfully disagree ... Drouin, Dadonov, Hoffman, Armia and Gallagher are all overpaid (i.e., contribution/production "not at the level their contracts should merit").

You snipped out the earlier part of my reply -- that "two overpaid veterans" refers to two years from now. At that point Drouin's, Dadonov's and Hoffman's contracts will all have expired.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

You snipped out the earlier part of my reply -- that "two overpaid veterans" refers to two years from now. At that point Drouin's, Dadonov's and Hoffman's contracts will all have expired.

I can now see that was inferred, but don't think it was expressly stated as such ... thus my interpretation.

13 minutes ago, DON said:

Thanks for sharing. One thing I have definitely noticed is how well he uses his reach to his advantage.  That line has been fun to watch. 

I’m blown away at Dach’s ability to protect the puck under pressure. I’ve posted before that every area of his game is high end - IQ, passing, shot, creative vision, skating, back checking. 

Im of the opinion that he needs skilled line mates to play with. I don’t think he does well with grinders

I think the hoopla is warranted even if Suzuki is certainly helping 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I’m blown away at Dach’s ability to protect the puck under pressure. I’ve posted before that every area of his game is high end - IQ, passing, shot, creative vision, skating, back checking. 

Im of the opinion that he needs skilled line mates to play with. I don’t think he does well with grinders

I think the hoopla is warranted even if Suzuki is certainly helping 

I wonder how much Slafkovsky would benefit from being in Laval and not just getting an opportunity to dominate and play more minutes, but also get used to North American ice, defensive play, learn to use his reach better, stay on his feet, as he grows into his body.  

23 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I wonder how much Slafkovsky would benefit from being in Laval and not just getting an opportunity to dominate and play more minutes, but also get used to North American ice, defensive play, learn to use his reach better, stay on his feet, as he grows into his body.  

That is the $64,000 Question

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I am all for Slafkovsky going to Laval but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 

I think they want him in the NHL and he is getting better and he now gets pp time. 

25 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I am all for Slafkovsky going to Laval but I don’t think it’s going to happen. 

I think they want him in the NHL and he is getting better and he now gets pp time. 

The question, unknown, is whether he would be better in future seasons by spending a significant amount of time in Laval this season or staying in the NHL ... lots of opinions ... there is also the benefit of keeping him under 40 NHL game rosters (i.e., whether or not he plays) delaying his UFA status.

58 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The question, unknown, is whether he would be better in future seasons by spending a significant amount of time in Laval this season or staying in the NHL ... lots of opinions ... there is also the benefit of keeping him under 40 NHL game rosters (i.e., whether or not he plays) delaying his UFA status.

Yeah that’s a good question. 

Consider a guy like Harris that played college and now he is quite polished. Would he have gotten there if he hit the NHL at 18?

I’m sure how the player is used makes a big difference. Wright sitting and playing limited minutes when he does play is not development the same as he would get in OHL. 

Slafkovsky is getting developed IMO

With Tom Wilson on I/R, his goonery is amply replaced by Nicolas Aube-Kubel ... too bad for the Caps that NAK (a) can't score and (b) doesn't have the "star" deduction from Dept of Player "Safety".

Good God. That hit is appalling. If I were in charge, I’d give it 20 games; but as you say, “safety” is always put in scare quotes when it comes to league management. 

• tomh009 unpinned this topic