2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

Wonder how Guhle would fare with a legit top pairing RH d-man, as a partner and not Savard?

"When playing with Jordan Harris, Guhle’s numbers improve significantly. In a little under 20 minutes together this season, which is admittedly a low sample size, the pairing has controlled almost 60 percent of the shots and 80 percent of the high-danger chances."

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/11/24/kaiden-guhle-good-canadiens-habs-could-be-better-savard/

#20 to world juniors...or not? What will Habs decide?

"With the Montreal Canadiens playing all of two games at home between December 17th and January 7th (the length of time he’d be away for the tournament), it could be added incentive to send him to the World Juniors."

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/11/24/montreal-canadiens-have-interesting-decision-juraj-slafkovsky/

4 hours ago, DON said:

#20 to world juniors...or not? What will Habs decide?

"With the Montreal Canadiens playing all of two games at home between December 17th and January 7th (the length of time he’d be away for the tournament), it could be added incentive to send him to the World Juniors."

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/11/24/montreal-canadiens-have-interesting-decision-juraj-slafkovsky/

What does having only two home games have to do with the decision about sending Slafkovsky to the World Juniors?  It's not like Montreal's ticket sales are going to crumble if he's gone and it's not as if he's never been on a road trip before.  This shouldn't have anything whatsoever to do with that decision, it's not an added incentive.

15 hours ago, dlbalr said:

What does having only two home games have to do with the decision about sending Slafkovsky to the World Juniors?  It's not like Montreal's ticket sales are going to crumble if he's gone and it's not as if he's never been on a road trip before.  This shouldn't have anything whatsoever to do with that decision, it's not an added incentive.

Exactly.

These "hockeynow" sites seem to be really poor, of course with people like Dater and Jimmy Murphy at the top of the company, we shouldn't be surprised. 

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

Exactly.

These "hockeynow" sites seem to be really poor, of course with people like Dater and Jimmy Murphy at the top of the company, we shouldn't be surprised. 

So did these guys get some venture capital to dump into all these sites? Then dumped it all into promoting them? They've just popped up out of nowhere and clutter my hockey news feed.

37 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

So did these guys get some venture capital to dump into all these sites? Then dumped it all into promoting them? They've just popped up out of nowhere and clutter my hockey news feed.

They've really sprouted up the last couple of years.  It started in Pittsburgh probably four or five years back with Dan Kingerski who is no stranger to doing his own sites.  From there, they slowly added one here and there and about two years ago, they went in big and launched a whack of them in a few months.  Most of the sites have a subscription element plus ads which I'm guessing covers a good chunk of the costs.  (Even the original Montreal version had some stuff behind the paywall with Jon Still's postgame columns that CTV Montreal used to run.)  But yeah, I have to think there's some sort of financial backer, especially since some of the writers are long-time industry veterans (Kevin Allen used to be USA Today's contributor, now he's on the Detroit side, Sam Carchidi went from the Philly Inquirer to running the Philly site, etc). 

4.0 GPA quite impressive, as was the effort to finish his degree. Let's hope his engineering IQ meshes well with the hockey IQ that the Canadiens are trying to develop in all the young players.

SJ has given up lots goals, will the Habs fill the net on them also?

Habs 3-0 in S/O, nice.

Still just 2 points out of wildcard, but all fancy stats point to more losing overdue.

34 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The bloom seems to be off Harris. 

Somewhat i guess, he was asked to do too much and maybe simply was too much?

At a minimum, he is gaining regular shift and rookie d-men have lots to learn.

Matheson eating up 24 minutes/game in his 4 games, also should help him (press box not worst thing for youngster...once in a while).

Dates Games
GP
G
A
PTS
+/-
PIM
TOI

October 12, 2022 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
+2
19:41

October 14, 2022 @ Detroit Red Wings
E
21:28

October 15, 2022 @ Washington Capitals
E
15:35

October 17, 2022 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
E
20:45

October 20, 2022 vs. Arizona Coyotes
+3
21:31

October 22, 2022 vs. Dallas Stars
22:17

October 25, 2022 vs. Minnesota Wild
25:39

October 27, 2022 @ Buffalo Sabres
E
19:23

October 30, 2022 @ St. Louis Blues
+3
20:33

November 1, 2022 @ Minnesota Wild
21:10

November 3, 2022 @ Winnipeg Jets
19:29

November 5, 2022 vs. Vegas Golden Knights
21:54

November 8, 2022 @ Detroit Red Wings
+1
16:54

November 9, 2022 vs. Vancouver Canucks
+2
18:28

November 12, 2022 vs. Pittsburgh Penguins
14:47

November 15, 2022 vs. New Jersey Devils
17:37

November 17, 2022 @ Columbus Blue Jackets
16:44

November 22, 2022 vs. Buffalo Sabres
16:07

NHL Total:
+1
19:27

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The bloom seems to be off Harris. This is what often happens with rookies…they come in, look good, and then start to fade. 

I still think Harris has been better than Xhekaj.  He's more solid though less noticeable as he doesn't get in fights or throw big hits. 

4 hours ago, Commandant said:

I still think Harris has been better than Xhekaj.  He's more solid though less noticeable as he doesn't get in fights or throw big hits. 

What really impresses me about Xhekaj is not so much his absolute skill level, but the speed at which he adapted his game from the OHL style (where he was the big guy and could throw his weight around) to the NHL (where he is not all THAT big). I thought (and some others did, too) that he might struggle in the AHL for a while before getting to the NHL.

Hintz only a year out from UFA status (July 2024) versus CC finishing his ELC ... but Texas has no state tax ... AND ... in his fist 98 games Caufield has outscored Hintz in his first 118 games, 39 to 28 ... AND ... is outscoring him this season ... I am starting to suspect there is no chance Cole re-signs/extends for less than $8M.

I have seem some tweets about the NYRs (not doing well? Gorton anniversary?). I do not know why this shows up on my timeline.

Did anyone see these:

Edited by alfredoh2009

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Hintz only a year out from UFA status (July 2024) versus CC finishing his ELC ... but Texas has no state tax ... AND ... in his fist 98 games Caufield has outscored Hintz in his first 118 games, 39 to 28 ... AND ... is outscoring him this season ... I am starting to suspect there is no chance Cole re-signs/extends for less than $8M.

Hintz is also a 1C which is in high demand which drives the price tag up.  It's possible that Caufield pushes for the type of deal Jason Robertson got ($7.5M on a longer bridge contract) and they have the same agent.

34 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

...  It's possible that Caufield pushes for the type of deal Jason Robertson got ($7.5M on a longer bridge contract) and they have the same agent.

Not only would such a bridge deal eat up no UFA years (short-term gain for long-term pain?) but Robertson's deal includes the "no state income tax" advantage that the Stars and a few other teams exploit ... even on a bridge I expect CC et al to be looking at Robertson contract as a baseline, not a ceiling.

Best wishes to Letang, his family and his friends.

bit on the youngsters

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/11/lets-talk-about-the-kids/

Decisions on world juniors coming up soon.

https://cheeringthelogo.ca/2022/11/30/slafkovsky-to-the-world-junior-championships/

"I’m not sure when Slovakia will be starting their camp but Team Canada will have a four days selection camp from December 9-12".

Beck, Kidney, Roy?

Interesting chart. It is weird that for the last few days I've been comparing linepus between NSH, MIN, CGY, FLA, STL and MTL because those five teams have playoff aspirations while the Habs are in rebuild mode... but no player swap makes sense.

image.png

https://theathletic.com/3963440/2022/12/03/canadiens-kaiden-guhle-returns-home-edmonton/

"The maturity of Guhle’s game is difficult to quantify.

His five-on-five metrics are, frankly, awful. He is last on the Canadiens in expected goal percentage at five-on-five, a dismal 39.48 percent, according to Natural Stat Trick. No one on the team has been on the ice for more goals against at five-on-five than Guhle’s 22 in 23 games. His possession numbers are the worst on the team."

BUT...

• tomh009 unpinned this topic