2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

Could be quite a steal for Hughes, if Monahan keeps playing well.

"On the surface of it, it seems unlikely that any team would pony up that much. But for the sake of argument, if it were to happen, I wonder: Would that be the first time a team ever received a first-rounder to take on the contract of an unwanted player and then turned around and acquired a second first rounder for flipping that same player at the deadline. That’d be a remarkable return on the investment for the Canadiens. It’s probably unlikely, but an intriguing question to consider nonetheless."

https://theathletic.com/3962351/2022/12/02/nhl-news-avalanche-offense-calgary/

with the rotation not a long term solution for the Habs, I looked at goals against (per 60, because that's the numer I could find) to see which team in the playoff hunt has worse number than the Habs.

Maybe the Habs can send a D to LAK, EDM ot STL

https://forums.habsworld.net/uploads/monthly_2022_12/image.png.cffd67852c99fe65b9a7c3c883a80b0a.png

4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

with the rotation not a long term solution for the Habs, I looked at goals against (per 60, because that's the numer I could find) to see which team in the playoff hunt has worse number than the Habs.

Maybe the Habs can send a D to LAK, EDM ot STL

Los Angeles has a defensive surplus that they'll need to address eventually so they're probably not looking for a D.  Edmonton can't afford to make a move unless it's money in, money out.  St. Louis could definitely use a D but can they afford one?  Knowing they're using Scandella's LTIR to pay for it, they'll want a rental player in all likelihood.

3 points so far on road trip.

5 of 8 would make for a successful west trip.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2022/12/6/23495865/canadiens-kraken-game-preview-start-time-tale-of-the-tape-and-how-to-watch-tv-listings

Tale of the Tape

Canadiens Statistics Kraken
12-11-2 Record 15-6-3
46.2% (25th) Scoring-chances-for % 50.1% (18th)
2.92 (22nd) Goals per game 3.67 (5th)
3.60 (27th) Goals against per game 3.13 (18th)
17.1% (29th) PP% 26.0% (8th)
79.1% (12th) PK% 66.7% (30th)
0-1-1 H2H Record (21-22) 2-0-0

Keep forgetting Habs had 3 1st round picks last year (albeit very briefly).

If they add another this year, 3 1st pick in back to back years would seem pretty rare thing to happen.

And I would fully expect them to deal 1 of the 3 once again for a prospect.

Now, need Edmudson's play to pick up and Monahan to get and stay healthy & productive.

4 hours ago, DON said:

How much will Holland be willing to mortgage future for cup run this year?

They will be almost $5M over the cap if Kane comes back this season ... and only have only just under $1.6M of space if he is out all season ... if Kane returns this season it will cost assets to fit him under the cap, either to move a bad contract(s) - e.g., Pujularvi - or mean moving useful players for futures before even thinking about how to add pieces ... it will take some creativity to make additions to support a Cup run.

49 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

They will be almost $5M over the cap if Kane comes back this season ... and only have only just under $1.6M of space if he is out all season ... if Kane returns this season it will cost assets to fit him under the cap, either to move a bad contract(s) - e.g., Pujularvi - or mean moving useful players for futures before even thinking about how to add pieces ... it will take some creativity to make additions to support a Cup run.

Edmonton can get back into compliance without having to trade anyone.  They're carrying a full-sized roster right now and once those players are in the minors, they're fine.  They'd be at a minimum-sized roster again but they can do it without having to shed a contract; they were in compliance before Kane went down and they haven't traded for anyone since then.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:38 PM, DON said:

Could be quite a steal for Hughes, if Monahan keeps playing well.

"On the surface of it, it seems unlikely that any team would pony up that much. But for the sake of argument, if it were to happen, I wonder: Would that be the first time a team ever received a first-rounder to take on the contract of an unwanted player and then turned around and acquired a second first rounder for flipping that same player at the deadline. That’d be a remarkable return on the investment for the Canadiens. It’s probably unlikely, but an intriguing question to consider nonetheless."

https://theathletic.com/3962351/2022/12/02/nhl-news-avalanche-offense-calgary/

What about Ryan O’Reilly in BUF 

Wasn’t that a good deal both ways for the Sabres?

Didnt realize Xhekaj actually played shifts at forward?

https://www.habsworld.net/2022/12/habs-weekly-offensive-balance-doesnt-result-in-much-success/

Sitting with 13th pick at moment, 4 games this week, how will they fare?

Sens/Ducks games likely be sloppy ones, but maybe entertaining.

Dont expect good results vs Flames nor Tampa.

I was thinking about the quality of opposition metric for the Habs but didn't post on it because I didn't want to be viewed as the negative voice again. But I could not ignore this article:

Last week before the game against LAK, the Strength of Opposition (on this chart) was lower (easier)

I have highlighted bubble playoff teams that have had a more favorable calendar so far and that may be good trading partners for the Habs.

image.png

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

Has anyone watched Tage Thompson this year? It's fun to watch a player breakout like he has. What a combo of size and skill!

Dont really notice, watch/follow other teams or their players. in less they stand out like a McDavid/Mackinnon/Matthews.

Just hope he can help the Sabres climb over top of Habs in standings, they suck so far.

I see Thompson got 4 points vs the Habs in Nov, cant recall him playing well...just that the Habs were simply horrible.

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I sincerely doubt it! 

I think Belzile could replace both Pezzetta and Pitlick 

Belzile is not having a good year at all in Laval.  Pitlick is considerably better and there are several others down there that should get a chance before Belzile does.

9 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Has anyone watched Tage Thompson this year? It's fun to watch a player breakout like he has. What a combo of size and skill!

I remember when he was signed and I thought they were crazy because he only had 1 good year so it seemed like a big expensive risk.  However, his contract is looking pretty damn good now though.

I saw this the other day and was surprised though: Eddie has the 5th hardest shot recorded this year.  

image.png

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Is Hoffman's only redeeming quality, the release and shot.

Yes

That said he's working harder at both ends this season.  Last year he was lazy defensively.  This season he's working.  He's still not good defensively but at least he's working.

• Like 1

• tomh009 unpinned this topic