2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

35 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m hoping it will be over $10m. Preferably closer to $11m. I think even with the current cap crunch, he could easily get that on the open market.

Although there is the RFA/UFA difference ... whatever Pastrnak gets raises the bar for Caufield.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Although there is the RFA/UFA difference ... whatever Pastrnak gets raises the bar for Caufield.

I’m hoping we lock him up long term to an 8 year deal like Suzuki.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m hoping we lock him up long term to an 8 year deal like Suzuki.

I'd be surprised if he takes 8 years at Suzuki money knowing the cap is expected to start jumping in a couple of years.  It'd be nice but his agent has a reputation for not recommending those types of contracts.  I think they'll push for a Jason Robertson-like structure, 4 years backloaded for a higher QO (he's still 5 years away from UFA status) with an AAV that comes in a bit below Suzuki's now but sets him up for a double-digit pay day in 2027-28.  I'm sure the Habs will try for the max-term deal (and if they don't get it, it doesn't mean they didn't try) but there isn't much in it for Caufield's camp to do a long-term contract around Suzuki's AAV.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd be surprised if he takes 8 years at Suzuki money knowing the cap is expected to start jumping in a couple of years.  It'd be nice but his agent has a reputation for not recommending those types of contracts.  I think they'll push for a Jason Robertson-like structure, 4 years backloaded for a higher QO (he's still 5 years away from UFA status) with an AAV that comes in a bit below Suzuki's now but sets him up for a double-digit pay day in 2027-28.  I'm sure the Habs will try for the max-term deal (and if they don't get it, it doesn't mean they didn't try) but there isn't much in it for Caufield's camp to do a long-term contract around Suzuki's AAV.

I think you are probably right, but it would be nice to have a hab sign a team friendly LT deal. I think Markov had a decent deal, Maxpac and a Gallagher’s 2nd contracts were good as well, but for the most part we’ve either handed out dumb deals to guys that never showed they were core players like Drouin, Anderson, Armia, or Savard, and blundered on playing hardball with a core guy like Subban. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Short article about Slafkovsky and the Juniors and the Habs struggles. 

Seems like a great attitude 

He has never been coddled. I have never criticized Slaf, the attitude, maturity and skill is there. He will make it. The Habs suck right now and not too many players are looking good. A little patience is required. Not worried at all about Slaf. 

• Like 1

Spencer Knight has been placed on IR by Florida.  His SV% is nine points better than Sergei Bobrovsky (.905 to .896) so this could make Florida's playoff push a little harder.  No word yet on how long Knight will be out for.

53 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Spencer Knight has been placed on IR by Florida.  His SV% is nine points better than Sergei Bobrovsky (.905 to .896) so this could make Florida's playoff push a little harder.  No word yet on how long Knight will be out for.

Awww ... ❤️❤️❤️

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Doesn't get me excited ... with Monahan and Gallagher out they need a 13th forward ... unless someone has a bo-bo it will be interesting to see who sits ***if*** he plays.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Doesn't get me excited ... with Monahan and Gallagher out they need a 13th forward ... unless someone has a bo-bo it will be interesting to see who sits ***if*** he plays.

I don’t think they would recall Ylonen just to have him sit in the press box. But we’ll find out soon enough what their plan is.

I’d like to see whether he can help PP2.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I’d like to see whether he can help PP2.

AND...who is coming to fix PP1, which is more horrible. 

I simply cringe when Habs get a PP, is so god awful to watch i almost fast forward the game to avoid the frustration.

14 minutes ago, Neech said:

I would love to see any new blood in the lineup, don't care who sits out of our 4-5 marginal forwards. What's our excitement level for Ylonen, 2/10?

I really like Ylonen, my excitement level is more 7/10.  He is an excellent skater, perhaps with Gally out he will get a chance to show what he can do. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I don’t think they would recall Ylonen just to have him sit in the press box. But we’ll find out soon enough what their plan is.

I thought something similar for Justin Barron and yet he has sat for three games and counting for reasons no one seems to know so I wouldn't put it past them sitting him for some games at least.

3 hours ago, Neech said:

I would love to see any new blood in the lineup, don't care who sits out of our 4-5 marginal forwards. What's our excitement level for Ylonen, 2/10?

I think you're right on the excitement level but my intrigue level would be a bit higher than that.  This is his last season of waiver exemption so they need to get a good look at him to see if he's part of the plans beyond this season or if he's expendable in a trade.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I thought something similar for Justin Barron and yet he has sat for three games and counting for reasons no one seems to know so I wouldn't put it past them sitting him for some games at least.

I think you're right on the excitement level but my intrigue level would be a bit higher than that.  This is his last season of waiver exemption so they need to get a good look at him to see if he's part of the plans beyond this season or if he's expendable in a trade.

Ylonen seems like a plausible bottom-6 prospect kept out of the lineup mostly by the crowd of useless veterans that we're hoping to be able to trade. I suspect we'll need him next year, when a few of those bums have been cleared out.

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ylonen seems like a plausible bottom-6 prospect kept out of the lineup mostly by the crowd of useless veterans that we're hoping to be able to trade. I suspect we'll need him next year, when a few of those bums have been cleared out.

yes, agreed that we'll need him next year. I would have waived Dadonov to give a spot to Ylonen this year.

( :ph34r: Monahan, that bum !! Sheeesh :nuts: )

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

yes, agreed that we'll need him next year. I would have waived Dadonov to give a spot to Ylonen this year.

( :ph34r: Monahan, that bum !! Sheeesh :nuts: )

Don't put words in my mouth. The guys I have in mind are Dandonov, Hoffman, and Drouin - complete bums, all three.

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't put words in my mouth. The guys I have in mind are Dandonov, Hoffman, and Drouin - complete bums, all three.

I know, I made a joke: look at the emojis, emojis: :ph34r: = snarky comment, :nuts: = me being a clown

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thankfully 2 of the three are gone next season ... a "magic wand" is needed to rehabilitate Hoffman's production so he MIGHT be tradeable ... a buyout this summer might be doable ($1,166,667 for each of 23/24 and 24/25), thanks again MB ... could try a 50% retention trade ($2.5 pro-rated **if** traded this season, and $2.5 next) to avoid the 24/25 buyout hit ... all depends on how HuGo project their spending needs in the next two seasons.

Hoffman is on a 30-35 point pace, so not totally useless but not commensurate with his $4.5M AAV. He's still shooting at 11.3% but only averaging about two shots per game so that won't produce a lot of goals. Another team (maybe one with a functioning power play unit) might possibly see him as a useful add.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Hoffman is on a 30-35 point pace, so not totally useless but not commensurate with his $4.5M AAV. He's still shooting at 11.3% but only averaging about two shots per game so that won't produce a lot of goals. Another team (maybe one with a functioning power play unit) might possibly see him as a useful add.

1.5 mill salary retained, maybe it could happen. 

• tomh009 unpinned this topic