2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

5 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Heard a talking head bring this up and curious as to the response here:

Interesting to see Matt Boldy sign 7 year deal (incl 2 yrs of ufa I believe) for aav of $7mil.

same draft year as CC, similar ppg rates (CC has played more games), with CC obv being more of a sniper vs Boldy more assists.     Wondering how much and a comparable they are to one another? 

I’d be happy if Habs could sign CC to 7x7 f or sure, even 7x8 unless 8yrsx8mil is an option, the kid’s a legit goal scorer but I’d love to see team not break the bank or pass Suzuki numbers for sake of complimentary pieces…

It is an interesting development in terms of CC ... Boldy is not near the goal scorer that CC is, but is a more complete offensive player (33% more assists in 25% fewer games) and is a big, if not perhaps quite power,-forward ... it will also be interesting to see how HuGo and CC each factor in the expected increases in the cap coming in the next few seasons ... will the Habs make an offer than is "painful" in the short-term because of the long-term positive cap outlook ... will CC look for term or bet on himself and look for a bridge deal. 

20 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It is an interesting development in terms of CC ... Boldy is not near the goal scorer that CC is, but is a more complete offensive player (33% more assists in 25% fewer games) and is a big, if not perhaps quite power,-forward ... it will also be interesting to see how HuGo and CC each factor in the expected increases in the cap coming in the next few seasons ... will the Habs make an offer than is "painful" in the short-term because of the long-term positive cap outlook ... will CC look for term or bet on himself and look for a bridge deal. 

Good point, gonna be exciting to see unfold. Hopefully we don’t see the repeat of old mistakes in contract negotiations from past mgmt.

20 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If Caufield is going to be a 40-50 goal scorer for his prime years then 8 years at 8 million per is a bargain. 

Yes, indeed.  He loves Suzuki tho so perhaps he will take a relative bargain to ensure that they continue to tear it up do r years to come.

but prolly end up being closer to 9 (saw 8.75 somewhere and made sense).

11 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I can't help but feel bad for Bruce Boudreau after watching the interview with him.  The Vancouver organization has handled this horribly.  

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lalji-calls-canucks-handling-of-boudreau-situation-shameless~2613392

As I’ve been sharing, Vancouver is an absolute basket-case. Classless, prospect-less, depth-less, hapless. The way they have hung Boudreau, a decent man by all accounts, out to dry is inexcusable and completely gratuitous. EVERY other organization would publicly stand by its coach until the day he’s fired. Rutherford has repeatedly thrown him under the bus almost since his arrival.

But contrary to the standard narrative here in Van, the deep problem is not Rutherford and Allvin (i.e., management). The deep problem is ownership. They’re the ones who hired a coach before hiring a GM and team president, apparently doing the latter without sharing that Boudreau had an option year on his contract. I’m sure Rutherford’s behaviour is motivated in part by being peeved about that. And likely ownership has not, until recently, permitted him to do what he wants and fire Boudreau - Aquilini doesn’t want to pay two coaches not to coach.

They’re the ones who refuse to bury bad contracts in the minors, tying management’s hands even when it was a different management group that signed the contracts. They interfere in hockey ops on the regular (I would not be surprised if the JT Miller contract debacle stemmed from their pressure to sign him: “we need to make the playoffs this year - we need revenue!”). They were the ones who thrust Torterella on a five year deal (!!) upon their previous GM and, after firing him, refused to fire his successor long past his best-by date because they didn’t want to “pay three coaches.” They turfed out Trevor Linden as President when he told them the truth, i.e., that the team needed a rebuild rather than a quick fix, then fired the GM who kept trying to give them quick fixes. Meanwhile a former coaching analyst has filed a human rights complaint alleging a toxic workplace: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/it-has-mentally-and-emotionally-destroyed-me-former-vancouver-canucks-coaching-staffer-files-human-rights-complaint-1.6171610

I find the Vancouver media quite quiescent on the Aquilinis. Instead they play along, blaming ownership’s designated fall guys - GM, President, coach - for the team’s floundering. Yet the team has floundered now under three separate management regimes (post-2011 Gillis, Benning, Rutherford/Allvin). At some point you have to look at the underlying constant. They had a colour commentator fired some years ago for being too critical, so perhaps the chill effect has succeeded.

Belzile called up due to CC injury...i guess is  about the only positive can think of, is the opportunity for Rocket forwards to fill in and show what they got.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As I’ve been sharing, Vancouver is an absolute basket-case. Classless, prospect-less, depth-less, hapless. The way they have hung Boudreau, a decent man by all accounts, out to dry is inexcusable and completely gratuitous. EVERY other organization would publicly stand by its coach until the day he’s fired. Rutherford has repeatedly thrown him under the bus almost since his arrival.

But contrary to the standard narrative here in Van, the deep problem is not Rutherford and Allvin (i.e., management). The deep problem is ownership. They’re the ones who hired a coach before hiring a GM and team president, apparently doing the latter without sharing that Boudreau had an option year on his contract. I’m sure Rutherford’s behaviour is motivated in part by being peeved about that. And likely ownership has not, until recently, permitted him to do what he wants and fire Boudreau - Aquilini doesn’t want to pay two coaches not to coach.

They’re the ones who refuse to bury bad contracts in the minors, tying management’s hands even when it was a different management group that signed the contracts. They interfere in hockey ops on the regular (I would not be surprised if the JT Miller contract debacle stemmed from their pressure to sign him: “we need to make the playoffs this year - we need revenue!”). They were the ones who thrust Torterella on a five year deal (!!) upon their previous GM and, after firing him, refused to fire his successor long past his best-by date because they didn’t want to “pay three coaches.” They turfed out Trevor Linden as President when he told them the truth, i.e., that the team needed a rebuild rather than a quick fix, then fired the GM who kept trying to give them quick fixes. Meanwhile a former coaching analyst has filed a human rights complaint alleging a toxic workplace: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/it-has-mentally-and-emotionally-destroyed-me-former-vancouver-canucks-coaching-staffer-files-human-rights-complaint-1.6171610

I find the Vancouver media quite quiescent on the Aquilinis. Instead they play along, blaming ownership’s designated fall guys - GM, President, coach - for the team’s floundering. Yet the team has floundered now under three separate management regimes (post-2011 Gillis, Benning, Rutherford/Allvin). At some point you have to look at the underlying constant. They had a colour commentator fired some years ago for being too critical, so perhaps the chill effect has succeeded.

I don’t follow Vancouver outside of national coverage stuff so I’m curious what you think about Boudreau himself?

Is the following tweet a good idea for us IYO?

Isn't Stu an Ottawa guy who has been mocking the Habs for years? Or am I confusing him for someone else?

I think Hugh-Gort made the decision to go all-in on off-the-beaten-path inexperienced coaching for his rebuild

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t follow Vancouver outside of national coverage stuff so I’m curious what you think about Boudreau himself?

Is the following tweet a good idea for us IYO?

Rutherford has publicly stated that the Canucks’s game lacks structure. I decry his stating this in public, but he is correct. The Cancuks are like the Habs, a tire-fire defensively. Boudreau is a motivator but not good at systems, and he appears to have minimal understanding of advanced stats or anything like that. He may be a guy the game has passed by. I would like the Habs to hire a more experienced coach to supplement the MSL all-rookie team, but I’d probably pass on Boudreau.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Isn't Stu an Ottawa guy who has been mocking the Habs for years? Or am I confusing him for someone else?

I think Hugh-Gort made the decision to go all-in on off-the-beaten-path inexperienced coaching for his rebuild

He is part of the Habs inside out team I think. Which I think are the old Gazette guys

58 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Rutherford has publicly stated that the Canucks’s game lacks structure. I decry his stating this in public, but he is correct. The Cancuks are like the Habs, a tire-fire defensively. Boudreau is a motivator but not good at systems, and he appears to have minimal understanding of advanced stats or anything like that. He may be a guy the game has passed by. I would like the Habs to hire a more experienced coach to supplement the MSL all-rookie team, but I’d probably pass on Boudreau.

Thanks CC

We want no part of that!

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

He is part of the Habs inside out team I think. Which I think are the old Gazette guys

Cowan is a former Montreal Gazette Sports Editor who is still a regular columnist ... I think the "Ottawa guy" is like Shawn "Clickbait" Simpson of TSN 1200.

3 hours ago, DON said:

image.jpeg

Unbelievable.

He got choked up in a media scrum the day before the game. This is hurting him badly, and understandably so.

At least the fans showed some class by cheering him and giving him the “Bruce! There it is” chant even as his clown car team lost to the Oilers. 

The Canucks are the worst possible combination: a terrible organization that is also utterly without class. You can suck and still treat your people decently, but not in Aquilini-land.

What a joke ... NOW they try to be classy

Certainly Vancouver will be stained by how they handled this one. It's a head shaker how they let Bruce Boudreau twist in the wind. Not ideal circumstances for Tocchet to come into. 

And what's going on with Ottawa? They can't get anything going. You would think the coach or GM is on thin ice there. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And what's going on with Ottawa? They can't get anything going. You would think the coach or GM is on thin ice there. 

The ownership situation makes that a little tricky.  Until that gets settled, I don't expect much in the way of big changes.  The new group should have the right to decide what direction they want to go with their front office and by extension, the coaching staff.

Their ownership situation is one to watch from a Montreal perspective as well.  One of the Habs' minority owners (Michael Andlauer) is considered the frontrunner for the Sens but he'd have to sell his stake in the Canadiens first.  I've heard that one of the others that has shown interest in the Senators might be interested in Andlauer's stake in the Habs if he can't land Ottawa.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

Would you know, how much does he own? 10-20%

Per a TSN report, 20%.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

would totally buy that if I won the powerball this week. 

Since US lottery winings are taxable, the Powerball cash value is about $275M Monday ... expect 20% of the Montreal Canadiens, Evenko, Bell Centre and L'Équipe Spectra is worth closer to $350M+.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic