2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Since US lottery winings are taxable, the Powerball cash value is about $275M Monday ... expect 20% of the Montreal Canadiens, Evenko, Bell Centre and L'Équipe Spectra is worth closer to $350M+.

At an LTV sub 50% I’ll hit up my neighborhood credit union for the balance 😉

9 hours ago, Helmethead said:

At an LTV sub 50% I’ll hit up my neighborhood credit union for the balance 😉

Maybe Geoff would do a "take back mortgage" sort of deal.

It is reflective of modern pro sports that winning what we normally think of as a *****HUGE***** lottery would not cover the purchase of 20% of the Habs et al.

just found this table while browsing, interesting stats

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2023_standings.html#expanded_standings

Here is a snapshot of the bottom 10 teams in the standings as of today. Habs only underperformed in December, doing well in other months. Overtime magic has earned a few points for them:

image.png

5 hours ago, DON said:

Canucks hire ex-convict Tocchet, classy and honorable new coach.

But he is WYANE'S friend, so he muussstttt be OK.

It was interesting to note that Tocchet is getting paid $750 000 more than Boudreau was, despite having a vastly less successful track record. Bruce was also paid less than his predecessor, Travis Green. Maybe he needs a new agent.

I think Tocchet will probably give the team a lot more structure and defensive rigour...but things are so sour around this franchise, I find it hard to believe he'll enjoy the "new coach bounce."

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It was interesting to note that Tocchet is getting paid $750 000 more than Boudreau was, despite having a vastly less successful track record. Bruce was also paid less than his predecessor, Travis Green. Maybe he needs a new agent.

I think Tocchet will probably give the team a lot more structure and defensive rigour...but things are so sour around this franchise, I find it hard to believe he'll enjoy the "new coach bounce."

I’m hoping they get some sort of bounce. Aside from the toxicity created by management ineptness, there is no way that lineup should finish below ours in the standings.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

As much as I think the situation stinks, I still want to see that bounce and have the Canucks pull well ahead of the Habs. :)

11 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m hoping they get some sort of bounce. Aside from the toxicity created by management ineptness, there is no way that lineup should finish below ours in the standings.

Totally agree. They’re significantly better than we are, on paper.

7 hours ago, tomh009 said:

As much as I think the situation stinks, I still want to see that bounce and have the Canucks pull well ahead of the Habs. :)

Indeed! 

18 minutes ago, DON said:

More insightful analysis from Renaud Lavoie ... but not as much fun as speculating that the Habs have traded for a goaltender.

The “new coach bounce” appears to have eluded the Canuckleheads, at least last night:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kraken-6-canucks-1-a-sobering-slaughter-reveals-those-ugly-warts

LOL

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The “new coach bounce” appears to have eluded the Canuckleheads, at least last night:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/kraken-6-canucks-1-a-sobering-slaughter-reveals-those-ugly-warts

LOL

Dear Vancour Canucks ownership, management and coaches:

tumblr_inline_mp0doeUBah1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A crazy night in the NHL,  Chicago wins in Calgary 5-1, Anaheim wins in Colorado and Arizona smacks St. Louis.  I wonder what the odds were of those 3 results?  No tanking tonight. 

From a tanking perspective makes the loser-point more acceptable.

In all the discussion of trades a potentially interesting (if minor) factor just came to mind ... for example, if Colorado were able to make a trade this Sunday the incoming player would have EIGHT days to re-locate, settle in, meet team-mates and get comfortable before having to play a game ... it might make a difference in allowing the player to be able to hit the ice "running" (so to speak).

• tomh009 unpinned this topic