2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

19 minutes ago, Commandant said:

He said that in November.

Story said he just met & tried to apologize face or face with Maroon. Dont think Maroon wanted any part of it.

I hadnt heard the insult, is no surprise and just like a John Garrett he says stupid stuff all the time (cant believe either has much respect outside of NESN/Sportsnet mgmt eyes).

Trying so hard to have sympathy for Leafs fans ... nope ... failed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Trying so hard to have sympathy for Leafs fans ... nope ... failed.

if AM is on LTIR until the trade deadline, does TOR all of a sudden have some cap space to trade for playoff help? I +/- remember the rosters are expanded after the Trade Deadline nut the cap remains. I am not sure.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

if AM is on LTIR until the trade deadline, does TOR all of a sudden have some cap space to trade for playoff help? I +/- remember the rosters are expanded after the Trade Deadline nut the cap remains. I am not sure.

Nope.  The only way Toronto can really use his cap space is if he was out for the rest of the regular season.  While there is roster expansion, there isn't a subsequent cap expansion.

The easiest way to think of LTIR and cap space is this.  If the player is out for the year, they can go outside the organization to replace him.  If he isn't injured for the season, they're probably not going to do so (since they'd have to be cap-compliant to activate the injured player when he's ready to return) and instead will replace from within. 

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Nope.  The only way Toronto can really use his cap space is if he was out for the rest of the regular season.  While there is roster expansion, there isn't a subsequent cap expansion.

The easiest way to think of LTIR and cap space is this.  If the player is out for the year, they can go outside the organization to replace him.  If he isn't injured for the season, they're probably not going to do so (since they'd have to be cap-compliant to activate the injured player when he's ready to return) and instead will replace from within. 

Thx

Back to back vs the Sens likely be 'interesting', how rough will it be for young Mr. Beck to deal with?

Guhle & Slafkovski getting injured wasnt big surprise, given the # of big hits both had already taken...just hope Beck keeps his head up bit better than those 2 did.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Not for the player so much, but the franchise of course.

Well, obviously. He’s a misogynistic POS but I don’t wish injury on any player. Though I do have a lot of bitterness over the fact that our three most important players of the past 30 years (Price, Koivu, and Markov) all suffered career-compromising injuries, not a problem that the hated Leafs or Bruins have had to deal with.

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Seems underwhelming return at first glace. But, is a rental i suppose.

I defer to the experts (on this site and elsewhere) but Beauvillier is 25 and seems to be a straight-up 40-point guy, a secondary piece. Not sure what Raty's ceiling is. A lot of weight will be placed on the pick, it seems to me, in making this deal a win for the Canucks.

Horvat is indeed a rental, and while he is certainly a legitimate #2C, his current production is waaay off his career norms. We're probably better off thinking of him as a 30-goal, 60-point C than the 50-goal guy he's been this season. That was part of the reason the Canucks couldn't sign him...they didn't want to repeat the mistake they made with Miller and pay on the basis of a single, outlier 'career' season. While they would have been much wiser to trade Miller and sign Horvat, I don't blame them for not wanting to sign him on the basis of this season's output.

Raty was likely the Islanders' top prospect, but that's not saying much (Wheeler ranked their prospect pool 27th in the league). I would guess that his ceiling is on the third line.

Lou corrected a minor mistake ... He gave Beauvillier his $4.15M (one year remaining) contract following the 20/21 season, where he played only 47 games but scored at a 25g/47pt pace ... he has since scored at a 13g/36pt pace.

14 hours ago, Commandant said:

Beauvillier is a cap dump. 

Raty is the key piece in the trade since the draft pick is protected. 

Yes, Allvin’s press conference all but stated that he regarded Raty much more highly than his 52nd overall draft ranking suggested. Clearly Pittsburgh had him as first-round material and their scouts liked him a lot. As the local media dissected the trade, Raty gradually emerged as the central piece.

Mixed feelings in Vancouver, but because it’s a “wait and see” situation the general tone is fairly muted.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yes, Allvin’s press conference all but stated that he regarded Raty much more highly than his 52nd overall draft ranking suggested. Clearly Pittsburgh had him as first-round material and their scouts liked him a lot. As the local media dissected the trade, Raty gradually emerged as the central piece.

Mixed feelings in Vancouver, but because it’s a “wait and see” situation the general tone is fairly muted.

It's one of those trades I don't like for either side.  I don't think Raty's that great of a prospect (I think he's more of a third line ceiling than a second line one), the first-rounder could be middling if NYI makes the playoffs, and the Isles were trying to give away Beauvillier dating back to last season with no takers.  That's the best they could do?  It seems to me better offers would have been there closer to the deadline.

Meanwhile, the Isles are still a pretty flawed team that's trying to win 2-1 most nights except they don't have the defensive structure they did under Trotz.  Should they be moving a first-round pick and their top prospect (from a bad prospect pool) for a rental that they'll have to overpay to keep to go from being mediocre to...slightly less mediocre?  That's basically an all-in move for a team that's nowhere near being good enough to go all-in.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic