2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

And every NHL head coach says "Thank God" my GM passed on him.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

And every NHL head coach says "Thank God" my GM passed on him.

Poor Vancouver…they had such high hopes for him. #6 overall pick. Like Olli Juolevi (#5) - or for that matter, Galy and KK - it’s more proof that even a high draft position is no assurance of acquiring a core player. 

Speaking of Van, there are rumours that team president Jim Rutherford is contemplating leaving, a year after coming in hailed as the saviour. 🤪 I’m having huge amounts of fun following the chaos in Van; it certainly makes you feel better about the Habs in comparison.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Poor Vancouver…they had such high hopes for him. #6 overall pick. Like Olli Juolevi (#5) - or for that matter, Galy and KK - it’s more proof that even a high draft position is no assurance of acquiring a core player. 

Speaking of Van, there are rumours that team president Jim Rutherford is contemplating leaving, a year after coming in hailed as the saviour. 🤪 I’m having huge amounts of fun following the chaos in Van; it certainly makes you feel better about the Habs in comparison.

Their paying for ownership’s mistake of siding with Benning over Linden, because of Benning’s willingness to give them the plan they wanted, rather than the one they needed.

Buffalo was in a similar boat because ownership sided with that back-stabbing idiot Murray over Lafontaine.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Their paying for ownership’s mistake of siding with Benning over Linden, because of Benning’s willingness to give them the plan they wanted, rather than the one they needed.

Buffalo was in a similar boat because ownership sided with that back-stabbing idiot Murray over Lafontaine.

Ownership is the underlying problem for sure. And yep, Linden was 100% correct. Some organization should scoop him up, assuming he is willing to leave Vancouver (which is not self-evident, as he has a range of business interests here).

50 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ownership is the underlying problem for sure. And yep, Linden was 100% correct. Some organization should scoop him up, assuming he is willing to leave Vancouver (which is not self-evident, as he has a range of business interests here).

54 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Think the ownership group would be to proud to hand the team over to Linden of Rutherford runs for the hills?

22 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Think the ownership group would be to proud to hand the team over to Linden of Rutherford runs for the hills?

I seriously doubt that Linden would want anything to do with the owners who drove him out of the organization and refused to listen to him, preferring the stupidities of certified imbecile Jim Benning. Linden’s a smart cookie - likely too smart to go for that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I seriously doubt that Linden would want anything to do with the owners who drove him out of the organization and refused to listen to him, preferring the stupidities of certified imbecile Jim Benning. Linden’s a smart cookie - likely too smart to go for that.

True. Dealing with that ownership would take years off his life.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Blues are officially sellers (no surprise) and the Rangers are all in as Tarasenko goes to the Rangers. 

Credit to Chris Drury for getting it done and giving Tarasenko more time to settle in and find his place.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Credit to Chris Drury for getting it done and giving Tarasenko more time to settle in and find his place.

I think this is an excellent trade for the Rangers, they had an extra 1st round pick so it makes perfect sense.  They have excellent goaltending, a solid defense core and Tarasenko will definitely help up front. 

Ylonen/Bezile recalled.

"Both players had regular spots in the lineup prior to the break, and their recall would seem to mean that there isn’t going to be an immediate influx of returning players from injury..."

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2023/2/9/23592578/montreal-canadiens-recall-alex-belzile-and-jesse-ylonen-laval-rocket-habs-lineup

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2023/2/9/23592071/montreal-canadiens-trade-deadline-demands-prospects-first-round-pick-monahan-edmundson-anderson

Organizational_Depth_Chart_2024.png

Note: The tweet is wrong in that Josh Pillar actually goes to the Leafs. The rest of the deal is accurate.

Quite the trade. Center depth is pretty impressive with Mathews, Tavares and O'Reilly. Maybe he moves to the wing to stay on the top two lines. Banking on his playoff experience where he won the Conn Smythe. Will only count 1.875 million against the cap with St. Louis retaining 50% and Minnesota an additional 25%. Is a forward what Toronto needed? Think they still need to add to their defence.

Price is set at a 4th round pick for Minnesota to retain 25% of his salary (1.875 million). Keep that in mind for Montreal in the upcoming weeks.

They are expected to arrive in Montreal for tonights game. 

13 minutes ago, Habsfan84 said:

Quite the trade. Center depth is pretty wild with Mathews, Tavares and O'Reilly. Maybe he moves to the wing and stay on the top two lines. Definitely banking on his playoff experience where he won the Conn Smythe. Is a forward what Toronto needed? Think they still need to add to their defence.

Price is set at a 4th round pick for Minnesota to retain 25% of his salary. Keep that in mind for Montreal in the upcoming weeks.

They are expected to arrive in Montreal for tonights game. 

Big move, they paid a big price as well.  I believe they overpaid for a washed up ROR.

Good point about centre depth. Add in Kerfoot as potential centre depth as well, but who knows what the plan is since he’s been playing wing.

Happy to see the Leafs give away a pile of assets for rentals and still not address their lack of defense or consistently injured/sick goalies.  Bolts are gonna mangle them in first round.

4 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Big move, they paid a big price as well.  I believe they overpaid for a washed up ROR.

Good point about centre depth. Add in Kerfoot as potential centre depth as well, but who knows what the plan is since he’s been playing wing.

Happy to see the Leafs give away a pile of assets for rentals and still not address their lack of defense or consistently injured/sick goalies.  Bolts are gonna mangle them in first round.

I hope so. I am perpetually terrified that the Leafs will finally get out of the first round and ride a wave of momentum thereafter. Fortunately, they will likely meet the Bruins if they do beat an aging TB, so that offers one failsafe against a serious Cup run by those turds. Admittedly, the result would be victory for a different set of turds (Boston). But in a battle between the loathesome Leafs and the despicable Bruins, I pick the lesser evil - Boston - every time.

What a battle for the final wild card spots in the east. Last year the top 8 was decided early. This year there is a top 6 with 7 teams between 58 and 63 points battling for the final 2 wild card spots and the teams at the bottom of this range have games in hand. Should be a crazy finish. 

58 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

What a battle for the final wild card spots in the east. Last year the top 8 was decided early. This year there is a top 6 with 7 teams between 58 and 63 points battling for the final 2 wild card spots and the teams at the bottom of this range have games in hand. Should be a crazy finish. 

We are all hoping that this translates to a Florida collapse

37 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We are all hoping that this translates to a Florida collapse

Dom L's model over at the Athletic still has FLA with a 50% chance of making the playoffs, but currently FLA's points percentage is seventh of those seven teams trying to get into the playoffs ("where anything can happen").

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Dom L's model over at the Athletic still has FLA with a 50% chance of making the playoffs, but currently FLA's points percentage is seventh of those seven teams trying to get into the playoffs ("where anything can happen").

This one has Florida at about 40%, Washington looks to be in trouble while Buffalo has 5 games in hand on Florida. I think Pittsburgh will make it but it will be a dogfight. 

https://www.moneypuck.com/predictions.htm

On 2/18/2023 at 10:28 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hope so. I am perpetually terrified that the Leafs will finally get out of the first round and ride a wave of momentum thereafter. Fortunately, they will likely meet the Bruins if they do beat an aging TB, so that offers one failsafe against a serious Cup run by those turds. Admittedly, the result would be victory for a different set of turds (Boston). But in a battle between the loathesome Leafs and the despicable Bruins, I pick the lesser evil - Boston - every time.

I hate the bruins more - they actually did beat us. But yeah, I’d rather have them win than the leafs. With leafs the issue is the damn pro-Leaf media.

if the damn leafs ever win anything we’d probably have hear about it for the next 50 years.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic