2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/how-hard-is-it-to-win-a-stanley-cup-without-an-elite-scorer

Season Champion Top-10 scorers
2012-13 Chicago 1 (Kane)
2013-14 Los Angeles 0
2014-15 Chicago 1 (Kane*)
2015-16 Pittsburgh 2 (Crosby, Malkin*)
2016-17 Pittsburgh 2 (Crosby, Malkin*)
2017-18 Washington 0
2018-19 St. Louis 0
2019-20 Tampa Bay 1 (Kucherov)
2020-21 Tampa Bay 1 (Kucherov*)
2021-22 Colorado 1 (MacKinnon*)

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I still want Bedar this draft and another generational player between this draft and next year's. Why not?

Because a generational player comes by once a generation.  You're asking for two in the span of a single year.  Why not?  Because that's not really possible.

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Because a generational player comes by once a generation.  You're asking for two in the span of a single year.  Why not?  Because that's not really possible.

a generational goalie and Bédard would be nice 

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

a generational goalie and Bédard would be nice 

Sure, but you're still asking for two generational players in the span of a year when, by definition, those should be two generations apart.  By the way, there is no generational goalie in this draft class so you're asking for basically the impossible to happen.

7 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Assuming a 5th overall pick in this year’s supposedly historically good draft, how reasonable is it to hope for a “franchise” player? 

Slim (5%), is my wildass guess. A solid top six forward, seems much better likelihood.

For example, Smith is ranked "around" 5th-7th.

6'0" RH centre, who put up 23 points in his last 10 games in USHL

Born on St Patricks day; but who the heck knows how lucky he will be?

image.png

Who

image.png

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Sure, but you're still asking for two generational players in the span of a year when, by definition, those should be two generations apart.  By the way, there is no generational goalie in this draft class so you're asking for basically the impossible to happen.

I know, that is what I wish for

there are also trades possible 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

If wishes were fishes, we'd all swim in riches ...

well, most have expressed how goaltenders are voodoo

So, I am thinking that maybe through scouting the revamped Habs can find a jewel in this draft or next or in another organization's depth chart to get the goaltending they need to become serious contenders.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

well, most have expressed how goaltenders are voodoo

So, I am thinking that maybe through scouting the revamped Habs can find a jewel in this draft or next or in another organization's depth chart to get the goaltending they need to become serious contenders.

That's exactly how we got Montembeault. He's taken a real step forward this year, next year should tell us whether he can be part of the longer-term solution for the Habs. And we do have a number of goalie prospects in the system still, one of them could be the missing piece for goaltending puzzle.

Beyond that, I do expect to see the Habs use a pick or two at this summer's draft on goaltending prospects.

28 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

That's exactly how we got Montembeault. He's taken a real step forward this year, next year should tell us whether he can be part of the longer-term solution for the Habs. And we do have a number of goalie prospects in the system still, one of them could be the missing piece for goaltending puzzle.

Beyond that, I do expect to see the Habs use a pick or two at this summer's draft on goaltending prospects.

I hope so, I can't wait for the draft

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

habs draft 1 goalie/year, guessing will be the same again.

1 hour ago, DON said:

habs draft 1 goalie/year, guessing will be the same again.

I expect better from the new management. Why would they repeat MB/TT's recipe ?

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Is common for most teams to do i think. So you want Habs to not take a flyer on goalies in the later rounds? Or draft 6 goalies?

Not sure what your complaint is?

52 minutes ago, DON said:

Is common for most teams to do i think. So you want Habs to not take a flyer on goalies in the later rounds? Or draft 6 goalies?

Not sure what your complaint is?

LOL

yes, sure, Mr. Potato Head wants 6 goalies, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer and the Stanley cup

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If you draft too many goalies, they end up sitting on the bench or in the press box as there are not enough games for them to start in AHL or ECHL once they graduate from junior or college, and the prospects take a long time to mature. So then you have to release some of your prospects, and you risk letting go someone that still has potential (voodoo and all that).

That's why most teams draft only one (or maybe occasionally two) goalies per year.

Kudos to the Jets

15 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

LOL

yes, sure, Mr. Potato Head wants 6 goalies, One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer and the Stanley cup

19 minutes ago, DON said:

JD is in the doghouse.

Habs needs centres.

How will this play out, slap on wrist and stern warning? 

Probably the same thing every other team in the league does... a 1 or 2 game team suspension for this.

People thinking this means they are gonna sit him the rest of the season are just saying that cause they hate drouin.  Thats not what any team does 

Don't know that it makes a difference, but per TSN690 afternoon show he was two minutes late.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic