2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

I hated the "tail/highlight" that Fox(?) used back in the day ... this is subtle enough that I almost don't notice it because it follows where my eyes are already going without being distracting ... and I think it could make the game easier to follow for casual fans, which can only be good for TV revenues in the long-term.

12 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I hated the "tail/highlight" that Fox(?) used back in the day ... this is subtle enough that I almost don't notice it because it follows where my eyes are already going without being distracting ... and I think it could make the game easier to follow for casual fans, which can only be good for TV revenues in the long-term.

I didn’t mind the name placard on the puck carrier thing. The black tail thing is ok but it’s certainly a big improvement over that blazing red tail they tried. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

which can only be good for TV revenues in the long-term.

And why does this matter to you? Unless are actually in the business and profit/higher salaries are important?

It is goofy.

18 minutes ago, DON said:

And why does this matter to you? Unless are actually in the business and profit/higher salaries are important?

TV revenues are part of league revenues which are the basis for the salary-cap ... and I hope the cap goes up ... these flat-cap years have IMO been a "pain" ... admittedly any impact on TV revenue would be felt upon renewal of the US TV deals, which run through 27/28 ... hence long-term.

7 hours ago, GHT120 said:

TV revenues are part of league revenues which are the basis for the salary-cap ... 

bit devils advocate, not trying to be rude.

And if the salary cap has to go lower, or if league drops a couple teams, so what? Cant keep expanding can they?

Every team has same amount, so market will adjust to the cap,  if it is $40m, 80m or 120m, no?

The Q banned fighting...it a great start.

How long will it be before the WHL will follow suit, right after hell freezes over?

Is fighting a "thing" in europe? Or also banned with instant ejections, suspensions & fines for player and team?

31 minutes ago, DON said:

The Q banned fighting...it a great start.

How long will it be before the WHL will follow suit, right after hell freezes over?

If the OHL follows suit (likely not next season) then the WHL may not have any choice

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Imagine a NFL game if fighting was allowed - even encouraged! It would be bedlam 

I am SURE Vince McMan (WWE guy) thought about trying it or floated the idea around at least.

I dont understand this, why? Was this game an important one to win at all costs? Seems so short sighted.:wall:

Do they simply not have a plan, or pay attention?

They did the same with Matheson coming back after injury late November; 23:57 in 1st game back, then back to back games 22:34/24:38...just asking for trouble. 

Or maybe I just need something to whine about?

1st Star: Kirby Dach – Talk about not getting eased back into action.  A day after having a no-contact jersey in practice, Dach came back and led all Montreal forwards in ice time.  He also scored the opening goal and didn’t look like a player who had missed the last five weeks while playing a different position than he was when he was injured.  A very encouraging return, to say the least.

Stats: 1 goal, +2 rating, 2 shots, 20:27 TOI

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/03/habs-bounce-back-with-win-over-lightning/

34 minutes ago, DON said:

I dont understand this, why? Was this game an important one to win at all costs? Seems so short sighted.:wall:

Do they simply not have a plan, or pay attention?

They did the same with Matheson coming back after injury late November; 23:57 in 1st game back, then back to back games 22:34/24:38...just asking for trouble. 

Or maybe I just need something to whine about?

1st Star: Kirby Dach – Talk about not getting eased back into action.  A day after having a no-contact jersey in practice, Dach came back and led all Montreal forwards in ice time.  He also scored the opening goal and didn’t look like a player who had missed the last five weeks while playing a different position than he was when he was injured.  A very encouraging return, to say the least.

Stats: 1 goal, +2 rating, 2 shots, 20:27 TOI

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/03/habs-bounce-back-with-win-over-lightning/

Marty and or the trainers/medical staff  seem to have a glaring weakness. 

First the Guhle thing where they play the hell out of him all while wearing double knee braces and now this. 

Why the hell would you push Dach like this on his first game back?

We aren’t chasing the playoffs in anyway. Seems downright foolish 

Harvey-Pinard has looked good. 9g 14pts in 27 games

“The thing about HP is you know what you’re getting every night,” St. Louis said. “He’s going to have details to his game, he can follow instructions, you know where you’re going to find him in the O-zone — if the other two are buzzing, he’s going to be at the net. So there’s a lot of predictability with HP in terms of what you’re going to get. He’s very responsible, and also he can keep the offence going. He just makes a lot of good reads out there.”

Details. Predictability. Follow instructions. Responsible. Good reads. That was a greatest-hits list of the best compliments this coach can give a player, all stacked into one quote.

https://theathletic.com/4334674/2023/03/22/canadiens-montembeault-dach-harvey-pinard-anderson/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DON said:

Harvey-Pinard has looked good. 9g 14pts in 27 games

“The thing about HP is you know what you’re getting every night,” St. Louis said. “He’s going to have details to his game, he can follow instructions, you know where you’re going to find him in the O-zone — if the other two are buzzing, he’s going to be at the net. So there’s a lot of predictability with HP in terms of what you’re going to get. He’s very responsible, and also he can keep the offence going. He just makes a lot of good reads out there.”

Details. Predictability. Follow instructions. Responsible. Good reads. That was a greatest-hits list of the best compliments this coach can give a player, all stacked into one quote.

https://theathletic.com/4334674/2023/03/22/canadiens-montembeault-dach-harvey-pinard-anderson/

I’ve been very impressed with RHP but  I felt that he couldn’t keep up to Suzuki AND Dach. RHP wasn’t able to get himself into those open areas like Caufield did or even able to give and go with the speed and skill of Dach and Suzuki. 

RHP gives his all every shift but he doesn’t belong on the top lines with top players IMO. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

... RHP gives his all every shift but he doesn’t belong on the top lines with top players IMO. 

Don't think MSL was saying he did, at least on a regular basis ... but he does belong in the NHL.

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Don't think MSL was saying he did, at least on a regular basis ... but he does belong in the NHL.

Yeah I agree that RHP is 100% an NHL player. He is Gallagher without the nonsense. 

I think RHP is a third liner that can play up the lineup when needed. 

Useless Leafs! They can’t even hold a lead with a minute to go, in one of the rare times I actually want them to win😡

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Useless Leafs! They can’t even hold a lead with a minute to go, in one of the rare times I actually want them to win😡

First leaf game I’ve watched all season and those useless #### can’t get it done. 

Leafs aren’t winning anything anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

First leaf game I’ve watched all season and those useless #### can’t get it done. 

Leafs aren’t winning anything anytime soon. 

I guess we are finding out what real Leafs fans feel every year😆

One reason, why a win or two wont hurt.

https://theathletic.com/4359668/2023/03/29/sean-farrell-canadiens-debut/

..."It contributed to culture.

St. Louis mentioned after the win in Buffalo on Monday how the bench lit up when Kovacevic was sent over the boards. The guys were fired up, and then one shooter later, Pezzetta had the experience of a lifetime. These are the types of guys teammates like to see get rewarded, and that’s part of culture."

• tomh009 unpinned this topic