2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

44 minutes ago, DON said:

His defense "they" say is still seems pretty weak.

https://theathletic.com/4359140/2023/04/04/la-saison-de-logan-mailloux-a-mis-en-lumiere-son-talent-et-le-travail-qui-reste-a-faire/?source=emp_shared_article

"Martin St-Louis reminds us from time to time that defensive play is not a talent, but a choice, the choice to put in the effort to apply the principles required of players. It's just as much within reach of Mailloux, but for the moment, the junior player that he is sometimes abandons any structure to throw himself everywhere, try to deal with the most pressing and lose all notion of positioning. It can be dizzying."

cool, I just posted a link to the same article on another thread.

I agree that "they" say his defensive play needs a lot of work but the comments were mostly that he hasn't learned to be disciplined enough to choose the right play. The article does not question his talent or athletic abilities.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

His offense is way way above Kovacevic's. His wrist shot is phenomenal. 

his defense seems to be worse than Niku or Clague or Brook were. but there is still lots of time for him to improve

Trading Mailloux now would be a big mistake.   The Habs have invested more in this player than any other of their prospects.  They risked a lot taking him and so far that risk seems to be paying off.  Trading him we will get less than his hockey value.  Over time it will become more about his hockey value but now we would still be paying a penalty.  

He is an excellent prospect playing a position where our prospect pool is weak.  Keep him and help him to continue to improve.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Thanks, Ottawa.  Now's the time you give your seventh-string goalie his NHL debut?  They're down 2-0 to Florida already.

7-1 final for the Panthers. The Sens had the 4.81-1.50 edge in xG, though!

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Haven't most teams spent way more than the Arizona Coyotes?  They are a very poor benchmark. 

To further their woefullness isn’t a strong portion of their cap spent on career LTIR players with big cap hits but lower salaries?

Maybe a destination for Price’s contract, Weber didn’t cost that much to get rid of?

5 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Maybe a destination for Price’s contract, Weber didn’t cost that much to get rid of?

Weber cost nothing to get rid of as the Habs simply took back Dadonov's expiring contract, and Vegas wasn't planning to use any of Weber's AAV on its' "players-on-ice" cap ... they traded Weber and a 2023 fifth-round draft pick to Arizona for defenseman Dysin Mayo (a salary dump by the 'Yotes) so that they would only have to deal with Lehner's $5M as an LTIR ossue entering 23/24.

But Price is a bit less attractive as his $10.5 AAV still costs ownership $8.5/7.5/7.5M in "real-money" salary ... so only $2-3M of "free cap hit" ... and as it is for 3 more seasons, nobody but Arizona is likely to want that anchor on their cap ... so I expect it would cost something significant to make such a deal even then, the Yotes already have $13,148,810 to $21,398,810 on LTIR next season (depending on whether Voracek is done); Carey would make that $23,648,810 to $36,898,810 ... you have to think the NHL has to start giving a shit at some point.

One stat that really surprises me this year is Ryan Nugent Hopkins getting over 100 points.  His best year before this was 69 points and he gets over 100 as he is turning 30???  I didn't see that coming.  It's not like he hasn't played with McDavid and Draisaitl before but it seems like everything is going in this year that he touches.  I always thought of him as just a solid 2 way player. 

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Weber cost nothing to get rid of as the Habs simply took back Dadonov's expiring contract, and Vegas wasn't planning to use any of Weber's AAV on its' "players-on-ice" cap ... they traded Weber and a 2023 fifth-round draft pick to Arizona for defenseman Dysin Mayo (a salary dump by the 'Yotes) so that they would only have to deal with Lehner's $5M as an LTIR ossue entering 23/24.

But Price is a bit less attractive as his $10.5 AAV still costs ownership $8.5/7.5/7.5M in "real-money" salary ... so only $2-3M of "free cap hit" ... and as it is for 3 more seasons, nobody but Arizona is likely to want that anchor on their cap ... so I expect it would cost something significant to make such a deal even then, the Yotes already have $13,148,810 to $21,398,810 on LTIR next season (depending on whether Voracek is done); Carey would make that $23,648,810 to $36,898,810 ... you have to think the NHL has to start giving a shit at some point.

I really don't know why the NHL should care.  The concern should be that Arizona hasn't been competitive.  But if we compare them with Buffalo over the past 10-12 years, the Coyotes have been slightly better than the Sabres.  Many teams have had 10 year periods with no playoffs.  

Clearly Arizona is rebuilding and have arena troubles.  If they can arrange the new arena I think they will be fine.  If not maybe they move.

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Insurance will pay that down to an extent but it'd still be a pretty significant cash outlay.  There may come a time when it happens (that last year, after the signing bonus is paid) but Price isn't going to Arizona anytime soon.

The Coyotes won't actually put any of their injured players on LTIR.  They will be on regular injured reserve, just like they are now (unless they take on enough other contracts to need to put someone there).

43 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I hadn’t considered Price’s actual salary - I remembered that it was less than cap but that’s a lot of $ for a team not making money. 

15 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Coyotes won't actually put any of their injured players on LTIR.  They will be on regular injured reserve, just like they are now (unless they take on enough other contracts to need to put someone there).

LOL I don’t know why my brain wants to keep going to LTIR when Arizona is USING these contracts to boost their cap. 

Arizona/Anaheim are in a battle for the ages today.

The Coyotes made the first move, announcing they'd start their third-string goalie.

Anaheim then countered, announcing they'd start their fourth-stringer, a guy making his NHL debut.

The Ducks also only dressed five defencemen and 13 forwards.

1-1 in the 2nd.

13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Coyotes made the first move, announcing they'd start their third-string goalie.

Anaheim then countered, announcing they'd start their fourth-stringer, a guy making his NHL debut.

1-1 in the 2nd.

Arizona ahead 3-1 halfway through the second.  Anaheim making a late push for Bedard - this will be their 10th straight regulation loss.

Edit: now 3-2 with 8 minutes left in the 2nd.  The Arizona announcer just mentioned the 3-1 lead was the first 2 goal lead held by the Coyotes in the past 10 games.

14 hours ago, dlbalr said:

1-1 in the 2nd.

Hey, Bettman said that NHL teams don’t tank, so obviously these were all sound hockey decisions designed to maximize the chances of winning the game. 🙄

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/04/08/canadiens-by-the-numbers-smaller-players-taking-charge-habs-analysis-harvey-pinard-gallagher/

"We should also note both Jordan Harris and Jonathan Kovacevic make an appearance on the top 5 list, leading all defencemen that have graced the blueline for the Canadiens this season.

There’s been very little consistency this season, which has led to a bevy of defensive pairings, but once things normalize next season, the Canadiens should probably try to avoid breaking up Harris and Kovacevic.

They’re what we call a unicorn pairing.

Smart, effective, and a significant boon whenever it’s on the ice"

1 hour ago, DON said:

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/04/08/canadiens-by-the-numbers-smaller-players-taking-charge-habs-analysis-harvey-pinard-gallagher/

"We should also note both Jordan Harris and Jonathan Kovacevic make an appearance on the top 5 list, leading all defencemen that have graced the blueline for the Canadiens this season.

There’s been very little consistency this season, which has led to a bevy of defensive pairings, but once things normalize next season, the Canadiens should probably try to avoid breaking up Harris and Kovacevic.

They’re what we call a unicorn pairing.

Smart, effective, and a significant boon whenever it’s on the ice"

I keep saying that Harris is our second best Dman!

On the other side of that coin is Guhle Savard who are among the worst in the league. I don’t remember the actual stat but that pair is top 3 for most goals allowed and their metrics are very poor. 

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

On the other side of that coin is Guhle Savard who are among the worst in the league. I don’t remember the actual stat but that pair is top 3 for most goals allowed and their metrics are very poor. 

... but generally playing against the toughest match-ups, so you need to allow for that when comparing.

• Like 1

• tomh009 unpinned this topic